Final drive reviews

Jay.1r

Hi guys,

Been considering this mod for a while now, was just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience in changing and their opinion on it? Seems a brilliant benefit for acceleration yet not many seem to be doing it ? Any information would be much appreciated if you own them or not :)

Thanks J

P.s car is a 350z HR invida exhaust, test pipes, standard airbox with k&n drop ins, uprev planned soon ! Seems the final drive is the next performance step which is reasonably priced

considering doing this on the track car - great for acceleration, at the obvious expense of reasonable cruising rpm, fuel economy and absolute top speed (none of which matter for a track car!) You'll also have to work the box more.

If all you do is country road blasts and don't mind a bit more noise and bit more petrol burnt when cruising, then go for it. However, the zed has a very nice torque rich motor which goes pretty well in any gear - if it was a smaller peaky engine like in an S2000 it might be worth it, but would be detracting from a zeds ability as a GT car.

Ya I've looked into this as well , but decided against it due to me having extra grunt from my charger . If I was staying n/a I would be doing it for sure . ....... Seems a great mod for the cost and the only down side is not being able to reach max speed ( which you wouldn't anyway with the zeds power ) and a bit extra fuel to pay .

After a bit of research seems the 3.3 FD from the 5 speed auto really lengthens the gears. People in the states with big power (500+) say it really makes the car more driveable as 1st and 2nd are useless with 550 to the wheels. So should be good with 650 to the wheels. More useable.

Conversely a lot of US and A guys still NA really really rate the shorter FD of 3.8 and 4.1 I think it was. Much better acceleration. I think it'd be a really good 'real world' beneficial mod. If you haven't had a an uprev I bet that combined with shorter FD would be an awesome combination.

Edited by TT350
  • Like 1

After much research and the great support from you guys, I have decided to wait abit longer and drop a new lsd in at the same time as a 4.08 final drive, should help the traction issues a little ! Looking forward to this! 3.9/4.08 I think there will be hardley any noticable difference?

Our American counterparts on their forums seem to really like the 4.08 FD. Makes a big difference.

Bit confused with the traction thing. Are you having traction issues now? Shortening gears further will increase traction loss.

Edited by TT350

• 2 months later...

i can't see any difference in the speedo on that vid. keep pausing it and the only time i spot a difference is when one has just shifted. catch them both on the power and the speed looks the same. hard to tell if that changes as the top end as the camera looks away right towards the end. i guess the only way you'd be able to tell is after repeated trials in a controlled environment and some accurate equipment. the difference isn't enough to really notice a performance gain in a simple test like this.

so it just looks like a choice between rapid shifts and long shifts from a styling perspective.

have to say, we have indeed changed the diff in our track car from a 2.93 to a 3.38, and the difference is very noticeable - really rips through 2nd and 3rd gear now, great for a track car, only downsides reported is the cruising rpm on a motorway has risen by 500rpm, but as said a while back we don't care about cruising speed.

Great mod for a track car with an 5 speed gearbox - which we'd have done it sooner considering a secondhand diff was only £50.

Edited by brillomaster

Very interesting! I'd sacrifice top end speed for acceleration any day. Even if not a track car. I've no plans on going anywhere near the top end of the cars capability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly.

How often/ should you reach the top speed of our zeds. I never have.

I'd prefer better acceleration than top speed any day.

I think I read somewhere that the 4.08 fd improves acceleration by 15%.

If that's true then i'd prioritise that over an uprev.

I've looked into these quite a bit and still think that on a lightly supercharged zed and n/a these would work really well . ..... The problem I came into was finding someone who would actually be able to fit them , they are apparently very difficult to set up and the tolerances have to be spot on , otherwise you can have major problems