10.5j and performance.

Chris Wiltshire

Hi

I've been running the standard Rays on my zed and have recently put on a set of varrstoens with a 9.5j 245/35/19 on the front and 10.5 j 275/35/19 on the back.

I know 19's are more for show than go but I can't help to feel a pretty noticeable difference in the acceleration of the zed compare to the stock 18" Rays.

So basically have any of you noticed a pretty big difference in acceleration and performance since switching to these sizes due to the unsprung weight etc?

I went from the 18" Rays to 19" Rotas (same size tyres/alloys as you) and I have to say I really didn't notice a difference.

I mean I'm sure there was a difference but the way I was driving the car at the time it felt no different, ...actually if anything it felt better as imo it improved the high speed cornering and traction.

Just fyi. :thumbs:

• Like 1

did you notice any difference in the MPG going to the wider tyres?

I think I will throw the 18"s on and give the zed a try and see if it's the same. My front caliper has been sticking lately or the recent meet over Brecon gave my clutch a hammering haha, 96k on original so maybe. I do have a new clutch kit and flywheel ready which could be handy.

If it turns out to be the wheels and weight of varrs etc then I've got my eyes on a set of Rays transcend, 57extreme or Enkei RS05RR.

Can't say I noticed a difference in acceleration myself , it did dull the turn in a tad .....but to be honest on a road car it's not going to make a massive difference imo. Put a standard zed along side a 19" clad zed I bet there would be no noticeable acceleration difference . As ekona said it is the worsed place to add weight but for me the looks and extra grip ( of which there is a lot more , I run 255/285 mpss) out weigh any negatives .

hmm just weighed the new front wheel compare to the Rays:

Varrstoen front 9.5j with a new Pilot Sport tyre - 48 lb

Stock Ray front 8.0j with a 4mm tread Falken - 42lb

I think the pilot sports are pretty light tyres compare to some? But considering the varrs is 1.5 wider I thought it would be worse.

Not sure on the 10.5j rear though!

Yeah, I suppose to most drivers its no big deal and they do look pretty sweet but all my latest mods have been done to try and get some gains so these may end up in the sale section soon.

One of the best looking wheels on a zed that I've seen though :) (apart from te37s)

Edited by Chris Wiltshire