GT-R Wheels

Adrian@TORQEN

GT-R wheels  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which variant wheels do you like on the GT-R

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 or MPSS

255/40 ZRF 20 (front) 20"x9.5"

285/35 ZRF 20 (rear) 20"x10.5"

Depends. Cup2 are the ultimate trackday special and this time they also work well in the wet, but on a GT-R would you want that much grip? If you want to feel the car move around a bit more, I think the MPSS would be the better choice.

Really does depend on what you want out of the car.

Hmmm, hard to decide, after reading several tyre threads on the GTR forums. So far the variants are:

1. Vredestein Ultrac Vorti R - £658 delivered

F: Vredestein Ultrac Vorti R 265 35 20 99 Y XL

R: Vredestein Ultrac Vorti R 305 30 20 103 Y XL

2015-08-22_17-17-17.jpeg

2. Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - £1109.78 delivered

F: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 265 35 20 Y (99 XL)

R: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 305 30 20 Y (103 XL)

2015-08-22_17-22-49.jpeg

3. Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Michelin Pilot Super Sport - 275 35 20 98Y TL

Can't find the 305 30 20 :(

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 or MPSS

255/40 ZRF 20 (front) 20"x9.5"

285/35 ZRF 20 (rear) 20"x10.5"

Depends. Cup2 are the ultimate trackday special and this time they also work well in the wet, but on a GT-R would you want that much grip? If you want to feel the car move around a bit more, I think the MPSS would be the better choice.

Really does depend on what you want out of the car.

Ultimate trackday tyre would be the r888 ;) its what I have gone for.... The MPSS tyres were a good all round all weather tyre, the cup2s are a bit better... but they still have too much bounce on track. I ran a 285 squared setup with the MPSS. Will switching to staggered 285/315 r888s.

The bridgestones are just shocking (and leaning towards dangerous) in the wet.

The dunlops were quite harsh on the road (being runflats) and I had 3 punctures and had to replace one rear tyre in 4k miles.

Edited by grahamc

:lol:

Not you as well, Alex! Seriously? How are the Vorti R on the track?

Only had the Vortis on for a couple of weeks so just scrubbed in and put a few heat cycles in them.

So far so good on track but not tried them in the wet yet.

Just ran air as Nitrogen is not true Nitrogen as got to much water vapour in it for my liking.

Ran them at 34 instead of 29psi. which fixed the roll.

Was a bit concerned with the 99Y on the front but all good.

To early to write a review however initial findings are encouraging.

And at £640.00 well worth a trial. :thumbs:

Alex. :)

PSC2 are MUCH better than the 888s for grip and feel on track, but then they do cost a fair bit more. If you have the budget and want a track biased tyre, they're the ones to go for.

From the tests I have seen, from fellow GTR owners and our trusted race driver.... on track, the MPSC2s and R888s will produce very similar times, but the MPSC2s are harder to master. The R888s are more constant. Also keep in mind that MPSC2 are 255/285 and R888 are 285/315 (the largest staggered setup I can run).

Price wise, the MSPC2s are about £200 more expensive...

I am going by trusted reviews of both tyres, I have used R888s on an old impreza (and loved them) and MPSSs I have on the GTR currently. I was very tempted to try the MPSC2 tyres, but the standard bounce/wobble in high speed corners puts me of massively. It does not inspire confidence.....

Will be at Thruxton 11 September with new brake pads, tyres, v5 ecutek firmware and new maps all-round if anyone fancies come down :)

I run Vorti R: 265 35 20 99 Y XL and 305 30 20 103Y XL

Also run MPSS: 275 35 20 102Y XL and 305 30 20 103Y XL

Interested to hear your responses on the Vorti

R888 > MPSC2 > MPSS on track

I am thinking more the above ;) but will see how it goes. I cant just buy sets of wheels and tyres and test to find which I prefer, I replace when needed and hope its the right choice ;) though saying that, if the R888s are too much on the road, I will be buy a set of road wheels and putting some decent road tyres on them :D