Front washers very weak

MDMetal

My front washers are suddenly very weak. I'd originally assumed my water was empty so went to refill it and it barely took anymore (mot refilled it no doubt) headlight washers are fine, rear washer is its usual dribble. I'm guessing the pump has gone? Whats the best way to confirm this? How tricky/expensive are the parts/swap? Cheers!

If it's just weak then it could be the non-return valve failing or there is a slight blockage somewhere else.

First thing I'd try is removing the non-return valve completely from the equation to see if the windscreen washer pump works ok without it, ....if it does then just leave it as is because you don't really need the non-return valve anyway.

The non-return valve is underneath the front windscreen scuttle panel on the drivers side (underneath the lid where the clutch/brake servo is). You can get to it easily by gently pulling the pipe work down out of the clips from under the scuttle panel.

It's usually a small black or white piece of plastic inline in the windscreen washer tubing which will look similar to the picture below...

312mDuDwv4L.jpg

If you can replace that with just a straight piece ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-5mm-Vacuum-Hose-Connectors-Plastic-Hose-Joints-Tefen-Blue-Ramair-/271191863029?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f244b6ef5 ) or drill out the internals from it, replace back inline and check to see if that's solved your weak washer jets. My guess is it will. :thumbs:

More info here relating to other things it could be & helpful tips:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/88593-windscreen-washer-tubing/

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/94700-windscreen-washer-not-working/

Good call, pressure on the two sided of thr valve are very different, took it off, blew threw it and direction of flow has the same resistance as against flow so thats the issue I'm guessing! Will swap it out and retest cheers! :thumbs:

Good call, pressure on the two sided of thr valve are very different, took it off, blew threw it and direction of flow has the same resistance as against flow so thats the issue I'm guessing! Will swap it out and retest cheers! :thumbs:

No probs.

Personally I'd just drill it out or use a straight piece of pipe in its place.

I had the same problem a few years ago on my 350 and replaced the non-return valve with a new one, ...3/4 months later it happened again so that time I removed the valve completely (drilled it out in the end) and never had an issue like that again.

Plus was that my windscreen washer jets were so much more powerful afterwards too. ;)

• Like 1

Not sure it's more powerful but with the valve removed and a straight through connector its back how it should be for £1.78 thanks for the advice guys was worried it could be a motor issue. Bizarre that I've had the car 5 years now and never had this as it sounds incredibly common, going to check the other halfs car now, her qashqai has a similar issue that I assumed was just "being a qashqai" but probably the same problem!

• Like 1