Coilovers vs Tyres

Ekona

TL;DR, you're better off buying decent tyres than decent suspension if you want to go faster, assuming you can't afford to do both. 'Tis a good vid, well played Aliveboy for pointing it out to me :thumbs:

I'd like to see a tyres vs brakes one as well, that could be very interesting on the right track.
  • Like 2

watched this the other day, very interesting!

Of course, since fitting decent tyres to the track car I am now a tyre convert!

however, it would also be interesting to see the difference suspension makes to a car with very soft suspension as standard - in fairness the standard suspension on a GT86 is probably reasonable - it calls itself a sports car after all.

you should have seen the first beemer we had before we did any mods to it... was like trying to steer a boat the amount it rolled. it was hilarious trying to hustle it round a track though.

Unfortunately, new tyres for the latest beemer has made it somewhat less fun... theres no tail out larking about now, it just grips! obviously good for lap times and tyre longevity, but might need to modify to get some of the playfulness back, or change my driving style!

• Like 2

This is true :(

However, it does mean you can drive out of McDonald's car park more quickly that your mate who is slammed to da ground innit. ;)

However it means you can leave EVERYWHERE more quickly than Grundy who is slammed to da ground innit.

you should have seen the first beemer we had before we did any mods to it... was like trying to steer a boat the amount it rolled. it was hilarious trying to hustle it round a track though.

Unfortunately, new tyres for the latest beemer has made it somewhat less fun... theres no tail out larking about now, it just grips! obviously good for lap times and tyre longevity, but might need to modify to get some of the playfulness back, or change my driving style!

Clutch kick and weight transfer :p

However, it does mean you can drive out of McDonald's car park more quickly that your mate who is slammed to da ground innit. ;)

However it means you can leave EVERYWHERE more quickly than Grundy who is slammed to da ground innit.

:( Good tyres + low life = Standstill :(

:( Good tyres + low life = Standstill :(

hows the nankangs doing

The Coilover is a much more noticeable gain for your money. :)

Do you ever read the content on threads? :lol:

There is a video at the top just proving that Tyres are better to go for than coilovers? There is even a TL;DR below it summing it up :lol:

• Like 1

Do you ever read the content on threads? :lol:

There is a video at the top just proving that Tyres are better to go for than coilovers? There is even a TL;DR below it summing it up :lol:

erm how? did you not just watch the video where $600 of tyres beat $600 of coillovers

pp,220x200-pad,220x200,ffffff.u4.jpg

:lol:

you know what I mean! :p

Exactly that, we know what you mean, but there are so many comments that go on this forum, where you literally have no idea what they're getting at, and it just becomes a guessing game.

you know what I mean! :p

Exactly that, we know what you mean, but there are so many comments that go on this forum, where you literally have no idea what they're getting at, and it just becomes a guessing game.

What stuff like this

a Question: has anyone got any flag to sell

Hey Grundy my Mate has some flags made in china -

57681417.jpg

a Question: i need some t shirts made

Hey Grundy My uncle used to own a t shirt making company 10 years ago -

57681417.jpg

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

I suspect veilside means coilovers are far more noticeable visually... yes tyres are the better mod for performance, but nobody is going to look at your car and say 'damn, sweet tyres dude!'

also i have a had a few people say my tyres are cool :p

watched this the other day, very interesting!

Of course, since fitting decent tyres to the track car I am now a tyre convert!

however, it would also be interesting to see the difference suspension makes to a car with very soft suspension as standard - in fairness the standard suspension on a GT86 is probably reasonable - it calls itself a sports car after all.

I will have the answer this weekend :) standard MX5 (tracked previously) VS the suited and booted MX5 going around Castle Combe :) Additions were coilovers (MeisterR), Rota wheels and new advan tyres (not the semi slick ones) and some bucket seats. Standard suspension was shocking, thought the sills would touch the floor going round some corners.

The tyre VS brake comparison would be very very interesting indeed.