Roadsters = rattle, clunk & scuttle shake?

GriffGTV

Fancy a roadster, however all the vids I have watched appear to have similar endless rattling and clonks + some shimmy ..... is this commonplace, can most of prevalent noises be eliminated (other than not driving it down backroads!) - is it the hood mechanism, if so can rubber blocks be fitted in appropriate places to prevent it?

Happy to stick to Rays and suggested tyres, even go up a profile if they will fit with std 05 onward UK suspension (did this with my GTV and the reduced thunking was welcome, with no apparent loss of cornering)

Appreciate coupe is going to be structurally more rigd, however being a bit of a maverick, tempted by more unusual roadster :)

Are later roadsters less prone to flex (extra stiffening)? - Does this make things better or worse?

Here is example of what I mean (nice vid other than rattles and clonks):

Its not the nice exhaust over-run popping!

unfortunately I have not even been in one in motion yet! - - I sincerely hope that I shall be pleasantly surprised, I am saving up & plan to use as civilized daily car with a mild exhaust and hi-flow air filters - I found the TS GTV quite a firm / slightly crude ride on poor backroads and great on A roads

If you listen to the vid (linked) and similar, I would not be comfortable with that level of rattling and clonking as it is a continual distraction to purity of exhaust sound + I dont want to try and drown clonks out with loud exhaust

I drove a roadster for 5 years, including 2 trips to Nurburging as well as track days at Oulton and Anglesey

You'll not feel any appreciable flexing

Provided you look after your roof (periodic lubrication, care and attention to the fabric etc) you'll not encounter any problems (unless you put the roof down in freezing temperatures)

Online research is all very well - read background stuff and see what peolpe say, but the only real experience that counts is the full on 3D real life stuff.

Doing a trackday with the roof off is a whole different level of sensory experience.

You've read a bit - now go and feel the real thing. It's like sex with a Durex on - Coupes are all very well but there are times you've just got to get the lid off.

• Like 2

I've had my Roadster nearly 3 years, and love every minute driving it.

I have found it to be torsionally stiff, with no flexing, scuttle shake and no creaks or groans.

I rarely drive it with the hood up, but on those times when I do, I've found the hood to be waterproof, windproof and with very little wind noise.

It really is a great experience driving a Zed with the roof down.

If you are after a Roadster, you won't go wrong with a Zed!

• Like 1

Or the power feed for the camera wire rattling in the wind :lol: Honestly there's no weird noises in my roadster, hood up or down. I have Berks and Top Gear full exhaust system and compared to that clip mine is EPIC :teeth:

geeez, feel sooooo much happier watching that vid over and over now :)

got any ytube clips of yours from inside?

Heard one or two phenomenal CAI sounds in drive bys - I dont want exhaust too loud - got a Griff for that :) - just looking for more detail and character on, hopefully an HR - thinking of minimising CATs to just pass MOT, then a tuned set up, ideally with single skin (not rolled) quad exit pipes with hi flow filter elements (Cosworth?) or dual part exposed cones / similar - carbon resonance boxes near plenum could help too

I have loads but they are all upside down lol, just the way the camera sits - I can rotate them on my laptop but they revert back when I download :lol: It's not as loud as a TVR. I have an Apexi cone filter that sounds OK :teeth:

..the Griff is pre-cat with strt through 5" exhaust to rear (1 srt through 'silencer') then Y into 2 x 3" - even after all these yrs, if you are accelerating under a bridge, you wince, thinking that something from Penske is overtaking flat out :)

• Like 1

sounds nice - find any front facing only without so much wind buffeting?

No I don't have any, only the one where I get flashed by the speed camera, despite setting the cruise. You even see me knocking a couple off too :rant: - Sadly even though it's set to my GPS HUD I can't challenge it as I was technically speeding! 66mph in a 60, the camera clocked me for 68 :wacko:

You can see how high the cam is sited in those vids, you can just make out the top of the glass it's stuck to, so no wonder really lol :lol: They weren't made as vids as such, just footage from the dash cam I have for my own peace of mind in case of idiots!! ;)