-
Posts
14,064 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by coldel
-
I hope you are getting a good bit of noise out of it because it certainly wont give you much in the way of extra bhp, in fact as others have mentioned you are probably losing it with it set up like that. I used K&N on my R33, the cones are about twice the length of the one you have so have more surface area. Also it was secured to the body to ensure it wasnt flapping about at speed which yours might look like it will be. The K&N I had was located as far from the engine as poss (and right below it you cannot see in the pic is a hole where the old intercooler is so there is a direct air feed about 3 inches long straight into it. Like others have said, would be VERY nervous of some cheap copy from ebay, most likely thrown together on a tiny budget in china and could degrade quickly and unexpectedly.
-
-
I really am not an R8 fan, in terms of styling. Had to double take an Audi earlier on the way to work, saw the front thought it was an R8 but then realised it was an A5. The styling is bland, uninspiring and just too close to the rep mobiles they churn out. Its just a squashed Audi. Does the GTR look like a squashed down pulsar, not a chance, it shouts something very different. I guess thats German design for you though. As JP said, if you are spending £40k on a car, surely £500 a year difference in servicing or whatever is so irrelevant. If you are concerned about that then you shouldnt be buying a car which costs so much more in road tax, fuel, parts etc.
-
There are some tremendous gains to be made on cars like the Evo etc - on my GT4 I can make 300bhp just by buying a boost controller and dialing it up to a safe level. They are very tunable cars stock with little cost for big gains. And 4WD, never thought I would enjoy it so much
-
I guess in terms of cash I wouldnt stick a set of £200 discs and pads on something with 400bhp - but agree with you prefer to do things myself (I say that but what I mean is give it to my dad and brother!) - although if you are paying out £40k+ on a sports car with a perfect dealer history the temptation is there to make resale as smooth as possible to keep it going.
-
I'm the first to admit am a hippocrit, as much as I find the concept of getting money for doing nothing (ie: investment) a odd situation, I'm actively looking to put our savings into as profitable investment portfolio as possible....And if I can build up a big enough portfolio to let me retire by 45-50, great. But surely if every did this who's actually going to any real 'work'....Unless you can find cheap labour from near by countries All the people still trying to reach 40-50k savings? Exactly, the number of people super rich and retiring at 40 is miniscule, the media blow it up as if there are millions of them dodging tax and just attaining wealth but it is such a relatively small number, probably 0.0000001% of the country or something like that. If you are earning over £60k a year you are in the top 10% of earners in the country which seems like a lot but £60k is nowhere enough to be in a sort of situation of early retirement though and those people will most likely work till 60 odd. The vast majority are earning, spending, saving, just like anyone else.
-
My mate from uni got into taxation and found himself writing taxation law, he is retired now at 39, he is sitting on his backside insulated from the world, letting his money work for him - I dont think thats wrong, good on him in fact. He is from the north east, his family were not rich, he was as poor as the rest of us students at uni and just another one of the blokes. I don't begrudge him one bit.
-
I dont think thats controversial at all JP - I know there are people that are unlucky in life, read this morning about a builder who was working on a Tesco store had an accident which meant he lost his job, he ended up stealing food from the bins at the Tesco store to feed his family, the judge dismissed the case citing that the food had zero value and been thrown away therefore couldnt be classed as theft - although clearly he used it as an excuse to throw the case out of pity for the guy. So there are people out there desperately doing what they can, but there are people like the two people I also read about this morning who had over 100 bank accounts in different names with £200k in benefits stashed away. The system begs to be abused unfortunately.
-
I agree, if someone has had a the ability to achieve a lot of wealth then fair play to them. I also dont like the phrase 'make them pay more' as that is anti-enterprise and actually if they are not taking tax loopholes (which is a different issue) then buy having a higher earning level they are already paying more, its how %s work.
-
I kind of see your point gangzoom, but your numbers arent really adding up - plenty of people in London earn say £60k+ a year and live out in zone 4, pay a lot to commute, etc. The mega wealthy are there with their super cars and the like but you know what, I don't care, I set my own targets and I go for it and I am happy earning my salary. Do I think we need to close the gap between us and them, not really, as its totally unrealistic in a free market with democracy in action, unless you prefer a socialist approach?
-
Was going to say that as Brillo said, the faster you go the faster you need to stop, most guys putting big power through skylines also upgrade brakes, clutch, fueling etc which runs into thousands. But they dont have to pay so much as turbo cars are much better set up from the start to make big power gains. In terms of bhp/running costs, any supercharged VX220 would drive away from a supercharged Zed - using half the fuel - guy on here just bought one actually quite recently, Daryl was it?
-
-
Mate of my brothers paid nearly £2000 for a clutch and flywheel change from a main dealer for his 350z (despite me sending them Zmanalexs contact details - fool!) so hardly cheap.
-
My R33 and VX220 were both as good performance as my zed (better than the zed in many respects actually - both the VX and GT4 have much better mpg as well) never got any hefty bills for either over and above the Zed cost. Looking online at the GT4 (again very quick car) costs for parts are on par if not lower than the Zed - it actually seems quite expensive compared to those cars especially the VX as that uses standard vauxhall astra parts.
-
He can stick around but not as leader, all a bit pathetic really, he said he would resign, thats means go, leave regardless of what his employers say. I would imagine the other parties will tear strips off him for years over this.
-
Not sure if anyone noticed but Farage is back in as leader of UKIP... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Of course a drift car will be performance over style...I would be surprised if anyone went the other way - however on here with peoples 'pride and joys' all I ever see with regards to exhausts are the sounds, hell there was even a thread arguing if single exit or dual exit looked better and influencing purchasing decisions. The percentage uplift is useful and another way of expressing the actual BHP uplift, my point stands that is that peak gain is not particularly useful if you are wanting to gauge your uprev performance.
-
In terms of area under the graph, yes that is true it gives you an even truer representation of what you have gained but that wasn't the issue - the question was why are the print outs showing peak power gain, my point was if showing a single figure that you want to interpret then average gain is more useful. In terms of area under the graph is it 'day to day useful' - can someone understand '8bhp gain on average across the range' easier than 'total area gain of 125bhp2' as an output, I would say in most instances they can. Its by no means the most accurate way to report it but its the most usable. When presenting data its often good to present quartiles, max, min along with some sort of score on the middle ground such as mean or median, all covered in your GCSE course. Your big arches were performance mods were they...? Maybe you are a departure from the norm then and somewhat of an outlier but most people that post on asking about exhausts invariably want to know what they sound like before buying, which indicates it not all about performance.
-
Bingo! I wasn't having a dig, I am a consumer researcher with a statistics degree, so am annoyingly finikety with how data is presented
-
misses out 75% of the numbers? I dont understand this Coldel? Sorry yes not a very good description! The scale runs from 800 to 1100 making the gap look big when in fact it is quite small, the same goes for the BHP it starts at 50, if you start it from 0 then you 'visually' see the true difference. Appreciate though that this helps reading the charts easier. Just in terms of what your remap gets you, I think everyone quotes 15-20bhp when in fact a more truer read is the average across the range (would be a nice number to have calculated on the software).
-
Cheers mate, I do have to pinch myself regularly to realise that I have been so lucky to pick up a great example Probably going to put on the tein springs in the next month or so...doesnt really need coilovers, its just had a whole new suspension set up put in so seems a shame to replace it so soon.
-
Used it on mine, rears were quite easy with a little bit of heat. Here is mine with it on the back
-
To be honest other than a plenum spacer thats all you need, should be good for 15-20bhp increase
-
Absolutely, there is no point in considering an exhaust purely for performance, which is why the exhaust note is so important when purchasing - same for induciton - I think the given knowledge is that the standard box is the best for performance yet everyone likes to switch to something else just for the noise.
-
Should a Stillen Air Intake do this ? Seriously ?
coldel replied to Mudman's topic in Off Topic Discussion
Thats just a bit weird!