which tyres are best for winter use ?

P15UL T

hi guys, im am thinking of keeping my rays for winter use but the tyres need replacing

i am looking to spend as little as possible cause i dont want to cut into my modding funds :blush: buy also dont want an unbranded name

does anyone have any preferences on winter tyres or know where does the best deals ?

thanks in advance

Paul :thumbs:

hi guys, im am thinking of keeping my rays for winter use but the tyres need replacing

i am looking to spend as little as possible cause i dont want to cut into my modding funds :blush: buy also dont want an unbranded name

does anyone have any preferences on winter tyres or know where does the best deals ?

thanks in advance

Paul :thumbs:

Toyo?

Decent rep and fairly cheap...... :)

Yep, got Falkens on my summer wheels :lol: and survived that summer.

I don't know why but I just have something against Falken's. Never driven a car with them on but have seen a few sets and I just think they look funny tread and sidewall wise. :blush:

You dont trust a tyre because it just looks funny? :lol: Good technical anwer

Sarnie you look funny but id still employ you as my tea boy at work! :lol:

I don't know why but I just have something against Falken's. Never driven a car with them on but have seen a few sets and I just think they look funny tread and sidewall wise. :blush:

I don't have a technical answer so I ain't gonna make one up :lol:

Liam's Z has them and someone else did too. When looking at the photo's I could tell from a distance that they were Falkens. For some reason they have distinctive kind of design that I don't like. Plus I'm suspicious of anything cheap :blush:

Liam's Z has them and someone else did too. When looking at the photo's I could tell from a distance that they were Falkens. For some reason they have distinctive kind of design that I don't like. Plus I'm suspicious of anything cheap :blush:

No i understand. each to there own. You did recommend the toyos though?? Aint they a cheap brand??

The Falkens i had didnt seem that bad, definately an improvement from the ones it came with anyway, the performance tailed off abit quiick but i do alot of miles.

The Toyos are meant to have a soft compound so might be good over winter. Goodyear f1's are meant to be good over the winter periods too, not sure if they do the right sizes or even the price of them but worth a look.

Try Camskill and tyretraders. there usually pretty decent prices.

No i understand. each to there own. You did recommend the toyos though?? Aint they a cheap brand??

The Falkens i had didnt seem that bad, definately an improvement from the ones it came with anyway, the performance tailed off abit quiick but i do alot of miles.

The Toyos are meant to have a soft compound so might be good over winter. Goodyear f1's are meant to be good over the winter periods too, not sure if they do the right sizes or even the price of them but worth a look.

I would class Toyo's as cheapish too, kinda middle ground between the cheap @*!# and the brand names. I would never have bought either for any performance car I own. I will always strive to have the best for my car.

I may be totally wrong here but, I reckon a lot of people who buy a cheapish set of tyres (Toyo/falkens) are so chuffed to have saved a couple of hundred quid that they kid themselves into thinking that the tyres are fantastic if they even stay on the road. People like Michelin and Pirelli haven't dominated the market for no reason. Their tyres are better, thats what you pay for. Cars like the 911 and gallardo have tyres designed for them, you would be a fool to ignore that.

Again, this comes down to a budget thing. If people had the choice of any tyre and someone else was paying would anyone choose Toyo's? ......

:blush:

I would class Toyo's as cheapish too, kinda middle ground between the cheap @*!# and the brand names. I would never have bought either for any performance car I own. I will always strive to have the best for my car.

I may be totally wrong here but, I reckon a lot of people who buy a cheapish set of tyres (Toyo/falkens) are so chuffed to have saved a couple of hundred quid that they kid themselves into thinking that the tyres are fantastic if they even stay on the road. People like Michelin and Pirelli haven't dominated the market for no reason. Their tyres are better, thats what you pay for. Cars like the 911 and gallardo have tyres designed for them, you would be a fool to ignore that.

Again, this comes down to a budget thing. If people had the choice of any tyre and someone else was paying would anyone choose Toyo's? ......

:blush:

Sarnie, you appear to be a tad blinkered by corporate branding......

Toyo tyres are the CHOICE for many Lotus drivers as they are proven to work best on the car. Don't forget that a lot of tyre designs come from just a few soruces and are sold the world round - including the 'big names'. How much do you think Porsche and Lambo pay for a tyre that is 'designed for a car'? Nada. That's why they are so expensive when it comes to replacing them, it is advertising for the brand.

Independent tyre tests often show 'cheap' tyres to perform best. That is value for money, nothing else mate. ;):)

The cheaper brands usually have softer rubber on there tyres, this still gives them good grip but they dont last as long. The Toyos have a good break away, making them controllable on the limit, this is why they are favored by many subaru and as above lotus drivers.

Bridgestones are one of the biggest manufacturers but there tyres are still rubbish in the wet.

Each time ive bought a set of tyres ive tried a different brand. I never fooled myself into think a tyre is better because its cheaper, I still think the Michelin pilot sports and some Michelin pilot primacy where some of the best tyres ive tried. But comparably the Falkens i had on the Zed where still a good tyre. Everyone is trying to get the best tyre for the best money and the Falkens, (on the zed anyway) fitted into this category.

The cheaper brands usually have softer rubber on there tyres, this still gives them good grip but they dont last as long. The Toyos have a good break away, making them controllable on the limit, this is why they are favored by many subaru and as above lotus drivers.

Bridgestones are one of the biggest manufacturers but there tyres are still rubbish in the wet.

Each time ive bought a set of tyres ive tried a different brand. I never fooled myself into think a tyre is better because its cheaper, I still think the Michelin pilot sports and some Michelin pilot primacy where some of the best tyres ive tried. But comparably the Falkens i had on the Zed where still a good tyre. Everyone is trying to get the best tyre for the best money and the Falkens, (on the zed anyway) fitted into this category.

I'm not sure cheaper brand means softer compound bud. Yoko A040's are massively soft, and not cheap. Michelins are rock hard, last forever (with compromised grip IMO) and are pricey.

Agree about the rest, it depends on your preference and the car too. :)

I'm not sure cheaper brand means softer compound bud. Yoko A040's are massively soft, and not cheap. Michelins are rock hard, last forever (with compromised grip IMO) and are pricey.

I know what you mean, but name a cheap brand that has a hard compound but with levels of grip comparable to the toyo/falken/michelin or bridgestone? Id be surprised if you found one? The Toyo's especially have a soft compound, t1-r being slightly harder and of a better design than the t1-s. Im not familiar with the Yoko A040's, but the ones i know of are the A043 and A048's like kev has and these are semi slicks so to speak.

I know what you mean, but name a cheap brand that has a hard compound but with levels of grip comparable to the toyo/falken/michelin or bridgestone? Id be surprised if you found one? The Toyo's especially have a soft compound, t1-r being slightly harder and of a better design than the t1-s. Im not familiar with the Yoko A040's, but the ones i know of are the A043 and A048's like kev has and these are semi slicks so to speak.

I agree with that. But tyre tread designs and compounds are sold amongst 'brands' all the time. I know for a fact that Pirelli have sold Yokohama designs, and vice versa.....

The other thing to remember is that Falken are huge in Asia, we just haven't heard of them as much over here. Some brands just aren't as well knows.

I have T1-R's on all my cars now. I have tried the following and found them to be the all round best for me:-

Falken FK451 / FK452

Pirelli P6000

Pirelli P-Zero

Michelin Pilot Sport

Yokohama A539

A range of Michelins

And the Toyo's

:)

Cars like the 911 and gallardo have tyres designed for them, you would be a fool to ignore that.

But arent the Stones that come on the Zed designed for that? Bet you ignored them though as we all do :scare::lol:

No i didn't ,I had bridgstones on both of my zed and replaced them with bridestones too. i never had a problem EVER with the bridgestones. i only bought MPS's when i move to 19's :)

I agree with that. But tyre tread designs and compounds are sold amongst 'brands' all the time. I know for a fact that Pirelli have sold Yokohama designs, and vice versa.....

The other thing to remember is that Falken are huge in Asia, we just haven't heard of them as much over here. Some brands just aren't as well knows.

I have T1-R's on all my cars now. I have tried the following and found them to be the all round best for me:-

Falken FK451 / FK452

Pirelli P6000

Pirelli P-Zero

Michelin Pilot Sport

Yokohama A539

A range of Michelins

And the Toyo's

Tread design for the Toyo's was changed to reduce heat build up on the tyre edges as these wore quick on the t1-s.

I dont doubt that they could be the best all round tyre as i do think they are good (not so the T1-s), but do they last as long as say the Pirelli's? Like i said people are after the Best tyre for the Best money. But people have different priorities in there tyre choice. In the case of winter tyres, i would recommend the Toyos or Falkens because the compound is softer and therefore it doesnt take much to get them upto temperature to perform well.

Falken FK451 / FK452

Pirelli P6000

Pirelli P-Zero

Michelin Pilot Sport

Yokohama A539

A range of Michelins

And the Toyo's

Tread design for the Toyo's was changed to reduce heat build up on the tyre edges as these wore quick on the t1-s.

I dont doubt that they could be the best all round tyre as i do think they are good (not so the T1-s), but do they last as long as say the Pirelli's? Like i said people are after the Best tyre for the Best money. But people have different priorities in there tyre choice. In the case of winter tyres, i would recommend the Toyos or Falkens because the compound is softer and therefore it doesnt take much to get them upto temperature to perform well.

100% agree. IMO tyres are the only thing in contact with the road, and I want to stay on it. :)

Falken FK451 / FK452

Pirelli P6000

Pirelli P-Zero

Michelin Pilot Sport

Yokohama A539

A range of Michelins

And the Toyo's

100% agree. IMO tyres are the only thing in contact with the road, and I want to stay on it. :)

Thats my opinion but i'll be truthfull, i dont know much about tyres. Its just after trying loads of different tyres i thought the Toyo's T1-R's and Falkens (supposedly the lesser brands) where quite good...