which tyres are best for winter use ?

P15UL T

IMHO its all about value. For the type of driving I do the performance differential between Falkens and the more prestige brands was insufficient to warrant the price differential. I accept the high end tyres are better but I simply don't need them.

IMHO its all about value. For the type of driving I do the performance differential between Falkens and the more prestige brands was insufficient to warrant the price differential. I accept the high end tyres are better but I simply don't need them.

With a 300 bhp RWD going into winter, I'd disagree. :blush:

Have you got anything solid other than brand prejudice to back up what you're saying?

Have you got anything solid other than brand prejudice to back up what you're saying?

off course he hasnt :lol: Ole Sarnie has only had two cars before the Zed if memory serves me correctly

I've had no problems in the wet with the bridgestones so far. Its ice I'm worried about!

with your performance in wet conditions so far nixy you will be better off wiv a hovercraft...........!!

:teeth:

hey, just spotted that cheeky! You tend not to have problems with the tread when the waters up to the top of your wheels! :blush:

I've had no problems in the wet with the bridgestones so far. Its ice I'm worried about!

with your performance in wet conditions so far nixy you will be better off wiv a hovercraft...........!!

:teeth:

hey, just spotted that cheeky! You tend not to have problems with the tread when the waters up to the top of your wheels! :blush:

:lol:

:lol:

If the weather gets wetter, Im thinking of getting a set of no name brand tyes for the winter. Absolute bargain basement jobs. No point spending any more.

They will come attatched to the shed I buy from the motor auctions while the Z is left in the garage until spring. :lol:

I think that generally we are missing the point of Paul's question.

What makes a good winter tyre, not what you use most of the time. Alot depends on the area of the country that you live in. In Paul's case Scotland, which in itself is big enough to get a variety of extreme weather. Generally Scotland has a higher level of rainfall compared to England so should his tyres have good grip in the wet and good levels of water dispersion? Scotland also has a higher chance of winter conditions so should this be taken into consideration?

As these conditions are the most hazardous that we would encounter when driving surely the quality and performance of the tyre be just as important as when we drive in better weather but pushing the car more to grip limits that are more predictable?

Food for thought?

I think that generally we are missing the point of Paul's question.

What makes a good winter tyre, not what you use most of the time. Alot depends on the area of the country that you live in. In Paul's case Scotland, which in itself is big enough to get a variety of extreme weather. Generally Scotland has a higher level of rainfall compared to England so should his tyres have good grip in the wet and good levels of water dispersion? Scotland also has a higher chance of winter conditions so should this be taken into consideration?

As these conditions are the most hazardous that we would encounter when driving surely the quality and performance of the tyre be just as important as when we drive in better weather but pushing the car more to grip limits that are more predictable?

Food for thought?

I dont think i have. Ive recommended Goodyear f1's which are meant to offer the best wet weather grip and the toyo's/falken which both use slightly softer compounds, which in effect offer higher grip levels at lower road temperatures...

edit: i dont mean that to sound like im being funny. :blush: but if pauls after a winter tyre, thats what id get.

+1 on what tim says, i learnt from experience after sliding 100yards on ice fun but scary at the same time :teeth:

Yep:

350z_20060824_001.jpg

:lol:;):p

Yep:

350z_20060824_001.jpg

:lol:;):p

:lol: Smart-arse!

Hi all, thought I'd get myself started on here by chucking my tuppence worth in...

Can't really comment on Z tyres at the moment, but I would say that brand marketing doesn't help grip one bit! My Celica came with Pirelli PZero Asymmetricos which were apalling on anything other than a warm dry road (when they were, admittedly, pretty good). Even contacted Pirelli Tech about it and they suggested using Direzionales on the front to clear water and Asymmetricos on the back, but I couldn't get them in the right size.

Took a mates advice and swapped them for Yokohamas, first A539s (decidedly average) and then Parada Spec-IIs, and ended up with Toyo T1-Rs. Best gripping were the Paradas, but they caused a really dodgy resonance at 40/80mph which sounded like all of my bearings were catastrophically failing, then probably the Toyos. They have a soft compound (don't last as long) and rounder edges so give a more progressive break-away which gives you more confidence, particularly in the wet. Obviously it was a different car, but the principles still apply. I'd definitely rate them over the PZeros regardless of brand prestige. I know a few Lotus owners and all have ditched the Pirellis in favour of Yokos.

Getting my Z tomorrow and it's on Falkens so I'll let you know about those...

Also, Vredstein do dedicated performance winter tyres (often seen on bizarre concept cars at motor shows). Anyone tried those? Not sure what the warm weather penalty might be - possibly huge wear rates - but if you've got two sets of wheels, it could be worth a try for the cold months.

well didnt mean to start a debate :p

i have toyos on just now with the ROJA wheel as these best value for money at the time, i also had toyos on my dc5 and felt they where much better than the yokos and bridgestones i had on before that,

after reading your many replies i think i will probably stick with the brand i feel comfortable with TOYOS T1 R

and yes it is pi55ing down with rain as we speak, the joys of scotland

auch aye da noo :dry: