Fibre Optic Broadband

ioneabee

my area has (finally) been upgraded and is now available

I currently use a Netgear DGND3700

so .........

1. can i use this router with fibre ?

2. BT are offering 50 - 76mb - is the 50mb the minimum, I would receive, or would they say 76 is the maximum and it could be anything under that

3. if ok to use my router - is mine better than the bt home hub 5

4. or I have the option to go for there business package ..... however they appear to want a £115 connection fee for this ... and I can't think why

answers on the back of a postcard (or below will be fine) :teeth:

You can use your existing router, but you'll also need to buy a fibre modem to go with it as yours only does DSL. Given that the HH5 actually isn't a bad piece of kit, and it comes free with BT, you might as well just use that instead. Of course, you then have the option of using the HH5 strictly as a modem then using your router as a plain ol' router, which is the setup I have here.

Speeds are much like ADSL, it'll be 'up to' and then you see what you get. Generally though their speedcheckers are more accurate these days, and you'll usually see the higher end of the numbers. Where did you get those from though, they seem oddly wide?

No need for BT Business fibre unless you can think of a good reason why you'd need the business package.

You can use your existing router, but you'll also need to buy a fibre modem to go with it as yours only does DSL. Given that the HH5 actually isn't a bad piece of kit, and it comes free with BT, you might as well just use that instead. Of course, you then have the option of using the HH5 strictly as a modem then using your router as a plain ol' router, which is the setup I have here.

Speeds are much like ADSL, it'll be 'up to' and then you see what you get. Generally though their speedcheckers are more accurate these days, and you'll usually see the higher end of the numbers. Where did you get those from though, they seem oddly wide?

No need for BT Business fibre unless you can think of a good reason why you'd need the business package.

I'll use the HH5 then - no point in messing around

Infinity 2 package states 50 - 76 .... using BT's Broadband Speedtest web page - it states 50 - 69 ...............so I'm guaranteed at least 50 ?

How long did you have to wait to get FOB mate?

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

its been saying "coming to your area" for about 2 years

I wonder how long it will take to reach here. :tumbleweed: We're still struggling with 1mB upload speed :yawn:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

never going to happen mate - i'm surpirsed you get 1mb B)

Infinity 2 package states 50 - 76 .... using BT's Broadband Speedtest web page - it states 50 - 69 ...............so I'm guaranteed at least 50 ?

You're never guaranteed anything until it's in situ I'm afriad bud, there might be local issues stopping you reaching that. Tbh though, I'd be expecting to see at least 50, but if it was 40 I wouldn't worry too much. In general usage, unless you're downloading huge files all the time you won't see any practical difference between 40 and 70. :)

Don't worry, we're getting a fast train instead!*

Seriously, the cost of HS2 would pay for fibre to every home in the UK. I know which would benefit the country more.

I think it's so the government can hire on behalf of London based businesses and pay 'local' wages and allow even more exponential growth of the borough and outsource cheaper labour with viable options for commuting.

Seriously, the cost of HS2 would pay for fibre to every home in the UK. I know which would benefit the country more.

I think it's so the government can hire on behalf of London based businesses and pay 'local' wages and allow even more exponential growth of the borough and outsource cheaper labour with viable options for commuting.

You must be a manager. Or in PR.

• Like 1

You must be a manager. Or in PR.

Why do you say that?

I certainly don't have the necessary people skills to be either of them.

I don't have any friends so I can't do public relations and it's hard enough getting people at McDonald's to follow my commands. Managerial roles are out.

:)

• Like 1

Why do you say that?

Mainly because of:

...as it sounds like something ripped word for word from the Government document for it ;):lol:

Why do you say that?

Mainly because of:

...as it sounds like something ripped word for word from the Government document for it ;):lol:

They actually said they intend to get impoverished but skilled workers from the north and ship them to and fro from London every day and not pay London wages?

I bet they won't get the travelling allowance Londonites get either.