Remap

gstraw

Hey

I'm considering getting an uprev on the zed.

I was wondering if it's possible to program a little overrun on the map to get the noise like the F type has? Has anyone done this? How has it been? Any issues with O2 sensors being fouled or have you fitted O2 sensor spacers?

Also for the 5 maps I was considering

1. Sport max with overrun

2. Sport mode

3. 95 Ron mode (proper map made on 95 Ron petrol)

4. Valet mode and limit revs to 2k

5. Blank

What are your thoughts. Anyone else done something similar? Anyone else have a proper 95 Ron map and not just a limp mode map?

Finally what gains will I see if I just have Berks hfc? There seem to be mixed reviews about intakes so I will just leave them Standard I think. Anyone notice an exhaust more change after the uprev? I've heard a few say it tones the exhaust down a bit?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by gstraw

I believe you can have the 02 sensors which cause the CEL light with HFCs turned off with an uprev. PM Mark at Abbey Motorsport - he should be able to answer all your questions. I'm getting mine done at Abbey next week partly because I do get an occasional CEL due to my HFCs.

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

I think you will find that the "overrun" sound that your talking about is the sound that the exhaust is designed to give, you wont achieve anything like it by remapping.

If you want pops and bangs then your best bet is to fit an independent flamer kit...or drill a hole in the exhaust. ;)

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1

I get pops and bangs on my invidia gemini with hfc's and a Takeda long cold air intake

Especially on downshift to 3rd or 2nd in sports mode.

Sounds so good the missus makes me turn it off if she is in the car :teeth:

That normally coincides with a whining noise from the near side cockpit area. ;)

Edited by flyboy
  • Like 2

Lol! Sounds good guys!

So my understanding is that pops and bangs are always there but depending on the exhaust it makes it louder or silences it.

Pops and bangs are caused by overrun which is when the inlet valves and exhaust valves are momentarily opened simultaneously. all cars have a bit of overrun since it helps to clear the cylinders and is more efficient.

People like us love the sounds though. So the pops and bangs are fuel which is being ignited in the exhaust. Too much and it fouls the sensors. So I may get some O2 spacers to get them out of the main flow. I only know this stuff since I done it at university but not had a chance to play about with more or less overrun on a map.

I'm trying to find or get the valve data for the f type to see how much overlap they have

I get pops and bangs on my invidia gemini with hfc's and a Takeda long cold air intake

Especially on downshift to 3rd or 2nd in sports mode.

Sounds so good the missus makes me turn it off if she is in the car :teeth:

That normally coincides with a whining noise from the near side cockpit area. ;)

Same here. I get them with the Stillen and cobra HFCs. Love it. :)

Lol! Sounds good guys!

So my understanding is that pops and bangs are always there but depending on the exhaust it makes it louder or silences it.

Pops and bangs are caused by overrun which is when the inlet valves and exhaust valves are momentarily opened simultaneously. all cars have a bit of overrun since it helps to clear the cylinders and is more efficient.

People like us love the sounds though. So the pops and bangs are fuel which is being ignited in the exhaust. Too much and it fouls the sensors. So I may get some O2 spacers to get them out of the main flow. I only know this stuff since I done it at university but not had a chance to play about with more or less overrun on a map.

I'm trying to find or get the valve data for the f type to see how much overlap they have

Not quite sure what you mean by "overrun"? but if your referring to closed throttle, this means that no fuel is being injected so in theory you shouldn't get any pops/bangs, normally any air leaks in your exhaust will cause the said bangs, which is quite often the case,

I think your maybe referring to valve overlap, often fitting higher lift/longer duration cams will cause this effect as the scavenging effect on an N/A engine will cause unburnt fuel to be ignited in the exhaust.

Hi, I've just had my 370z remapped by abbey motorsport using the uprev .my car is fitted with hfc and scorpion exhaust , I also had problems with the eml coming on but Mark at abbey has sorted this with the remap. The car now has a quicker throttle response and is 20bhp more powerful than standard now.

I cant thank abbey enough .

• Like 1

Hi, I've just had my 370z remapped by abbey motorsport using the uprev .my car is fitted with hfc and scorpion exhaust , I also had problems with the eml coming on but Mark at abbey has sorted this with the remap. The car now has a quicker throttle response and is 20bhp more powerful than standard now.

Good stuff! Did you notice a change in engine noise or exhaust note? Got any graphs of the output?

• 2 weeks later...

I have got the graphs although not to hand, PM me and I'll reply with them if you like.

Noise is a very subjective thing but the car sounds great overall and is on no way chavvy/ intrusive, just sounds exactly how a car should also burbles and pops when required :)

That was with invidia/ Berks/ stillen G3 and uprev. 325 hubs/ 360 wheels.

Edited by Siman350z

I have an aftermarket exhaust. Not sure on branding from what I can see it looks to be custom made and a very well made one at that. I also have HFCs and a popcharger intake.

My car has a great overrun noise where it gurgles nicely from the exhaust with the occasional slight pop and bang, which is exactly what I am after.

To my knowledge though the car hasn't had a remap so it may be down to the HFCs and exhaust alone.

• 3 weeks later...

Reducing the CAT choking effect will restore some of the natural 'old school' character - you hear far more detail - When I drove a Griffith 4.3 pre-cat & 500 cat back to back - despite the 500 being younger and similar price, I returned it to the dealership after a couple of mins - night and day difference - the Pre-cat was and is hysterical if not near erotic :)

Re over-run, overlap & fuelling - As I understand it, overlap, as eluded to above is the momentary period during the cycle when both valves are open (scavenging, rapid fuel draw etc) indicative of a more radical cam. Over-run is indeed simply lifting off the throttle....however, with most emission and MPG friendly EFI set-ups, fuelling is cut when the throttle is shut, above a certain rpm / ECU parameters. Since the shut butterfly is the trigger, leaving the throttle cracked open a tad when decelerating, will help re-introduce the crackle, particularly with HFC ? test-pipes

With the 4.3 Griff pre-cat, which after saving up for years, I just had to own, I raised the idle slightly to fool ECU into thinking butterfly never closed, leaving fueling on over-run - huge difference :) Crackle, pop and occasional flash! - You can literally play the throttle as if a musical instrument to get the desired effect - pressing throttle hard down has its rewards too :) :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So one of the main things that is changed in the uprev is the throttle open percentage. When we put our foot flat to the floor and give 100% the butterfly doesn't open 100% the ECU decides how much it opens. On the uprev the tuner can set the % of throttle open. So how can I raise the idle slightly? Wouldn't mind having that on the sport plus map!

Sent from my kindle using Tapatalk

Edited by gstraw

..hmm, Griff isnt fly by wire so idle adjustment was simple - not sure if raising idle during re-map would keep fueling on during over-run or maybe there is an alternative way of doing it - ignition will need to be active to preserve CAT & ignite fuel, I doubt that that is shut-off? - I am not very technical, I just know what worked for me (mine is also pre-cat :)

• 1 year later...

How much was that bud?