Oil advice and recommendations here

oilman

I get asked many questions about oil so I thought a thread here for all oil related questions would be a good idea and build into a FAQ or reference point for others.

So, put your oil questions here but please give the following information if you would like a recommendation:

Make

Model

Year

Engine size/type

Any mods

Type of use (road/track)

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used)

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc?

I hope this will help and become a useful thread

Regards

Simon

• 7 months later...

I had an expensive problem with the tiptronic gearbox on my previous car, a Honda Prelude 2.2 vti. I found it difficult to check the gearbox oil levels and low levels eventually led to irreparable damage.

I have a JDM Z with tiptronic 'box. Where and how do I check the levels, and what oil should I use to top up if necessary?

Sorry if this is not exactly on thread. :blush:

I had an expensive problem with the tiptronic gearbox on my previous car, a Honda Prelude 2.2 vti. I found it difficult to check the gearbox oil levels and low levels eventually led to irreparable damage.

I have a JDM Z with tiptronic 'box. Where and how do I check the levels, and what oil should I use to top up if necessary?

Jim found this the other day and thought of you :teeth:

auto oil info

Jim found this the other day and thought of you :teeth:

auto oil info

Thanks, Tim. That answers that question then. :dry:

I don't suppose a Nissan dealer will be of much use since they will only be used to dealing with the manual 'box.

Think I'll try the importer to see if they can help. I'm really just looking for reassurance that the box will be ok for a few more thousand miles before I have to do anything to it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just had my 1st service done with the local main stealer and when they changed the oil they put in a semi synthetic Total 10w40 not 5w30 as the book.

When I questioned them they said this was the recommended oil for the UK.

Is this correct or are they just conning me and do I need to get the oil changed.

Car has done 8000 miles now and is UK spec.

Thanks

Diether

I have just had my 1st service done with the local main stealer and when they changed the oil they put in a semi synthetic Total 10w40 not 5w30 as the book.

When I questioned them they said this was the recommended oil for the UK.

Is this correct or are they just conning me and do I need to get the oil changed.

Car has done 8000 miles now and is UK spec.

Thanks

Diether

I think you will find that the book says that 5w-30 is the preferred grade for all climates but that 10w-30 or 10w-40 may bw used in milder climates. So I don't think you will win. Insist on a 5w-30 real synthetic next time or better still take your own in! :thumbs:

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

If you see an expression such as 10W-40, the oil is a multigrade.

This simply means that the oil falls into 2 viscosity grades, in this case 10W & 40.

This is made possible by the inclusion of a polymer, a component which slows down the rate of thinning as the oil warms up and slows down the rate of thickening as the oil cools down.

It was first developed some 50 years ago to avoid the routine of using a thinner oil in winter and a thicker oil in summer.

For a 10w-40 to attain the specification target a 10W ( W = winter) the oil must have a certain maximum viscosity at low temperature. The actual viscosity and the temperature vary with the viscosity grade but in all cases the lower the number, the thinner the oil, e.g. a 5W oil is thinner than a 10W oil at temperatures encountered in UK winter conditions.

This is important because a thinner oil will circulate faster on cold start, affording better engine protection.

For a 10w-40 to attain the other specification target a 40 oil must fall within certain limits at 100 degC. In this case the temperature target does not vary with the viscosity grade, if there is no "W", the measuring temperature is always 100degC. Again the lower the number the thinner the oil, a 30 oil is thinner than a 40 oil at 100 degC., which is typical of maximum bulk oil temperatures in an operating engine.

The engine makers are, of course, very well aware of this and specify oils according to engine design features, oil pump capacities, manufacturing tolerances, ambient temperature conditions etc. It is important to follow these guidelines, they are important and are an are stipulated for good reasons.

If the engine has been modified, the operating conditions may well be outside the original design envelope. The stress on the oil caused by increased maximum revs, power output and temperature may indicate that oil of a different type and viscosity grade would be beneficial.

Cheers

Simon

Im really confussed my cars coming up for its 27k P1 and im supplying my own oil. Its a 300bhp engine, not sure if this affects what oil i need? Whats the best for everyday driving. 10w 30 or 5w 30. just want to know. Also how much oil does the zed take?

Im really confussed my cars coming up for its 27k P1 and im supplying my own oil. Its a 300bhp engine, not sure if this affects what oil i need? Whats the best for everyday driving. 10w 30 or 5w 30. just want to know. Also how much oil does the zed take?

silkolene pro s is B)

Drain and refill With oil filter change 4.7 (5, 4-1/8)

Without oil filter change 4.4 (4-5/8, 3-7/8)

Dry engine (Overhaul) 5.4 (5-3/4, 4-3/4)

You can use 5w-30 or 5w-40. If the car does not get used hard and you want best economy etc then go for a synthetic 5w-30.

Have a look at these http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-653-5w-30.aspx

It takes 4.7ltr.

Regards

Guy

Hi oilman.

Thanks for your advice.

What do you consider hard driving. I'm 22 and got a heavy left foot. will 5w 30 do or would it b better to get 5w 40 to be on the safe side. My car gets driven all times of the day with a variety of motorway and sitting in traffic. How come some people use 10w 30? is there any benefit?

Cheers

350z at 22.... Where oh where did I go wrong?

Anyway, if you have a heavy foot I would go 5w-40, just give you a little extra padding if you like when things get pushed.

10w-30 is the standard recommended grade in japan, not very common here in Europe/Uk they are either shite or very expensive synthetics, we have a couple.

Cheers

Guy

Hi oilman.

Thanks for your advice.

What do you consider hard driving. I'm 22 and got a heavy left foot. will 5w 30 do or would it b better to get 5w 40 to be on the safe side. My car gets driven all times of the day with a variety of motorway and sitting in traffic. How come some people use 10w 30? is there any benefit?

Cheers

Heavy left foot???? Make sure you grease your clutch cable maybe???? :teeth:

• 3 weeks later...