Engineering solution help

evilscorp

Hey guys,

Still struggling to find something to push the bush in for the lower spring bucket arm at the rear.

Have ordered a hole saw but most look rubbish (went to B&Q and left as it wouldn't have cut butter)

Had this idea though but not sure if it will be strong enough for the job, worm gear clip and place a metal plate on top slightly moved over so it is not sitting on the raised worm gear. Might have a sturdier one but its a lot bigger and might not go small enough to fit sung. What are peoples thoughts? IMAG05081_zps5jo2fke6.jpgIMAG05091_zpsktqnlhz8.jpg

Off to bed for a few hours as I am just in from night shift. :yawn:

# forgot to mention I will be using a press to push them in.

Edited by evilscorp

Unfortunately the outer shell is very thin and the socket would press the rubber into the center a lot with the design of its teeth so was hoping to use something else. I will probably end up waiting for the hole saw to cut a washer that fits perfect then use a socket on it.

Old ones came out fine as I have disks/platesdies? removal tool set just don't Have the cups. The old bushes have a thicker casing, the new ones have thicker rubber/plastic. It's a 35.2mm diameter where the rubber ends and the casing outer diameter is only 37mm. My 34mm socket is too thick walled and wide to drive the new Bush in place and don't have anything else suitable. Cheers for the idea Alex, still need a bit more stocking up on my d.I.y. tools though =/

put the new bush in the freezer for a few hours, the rubber should contract with the cold and will firm it up a bit. I'd also get a threaded bar, put a big washer on each side and tightening a nut above the washer should compress it in nicely :)

This is a bit of a saga :surrender:

Gary, your heading states "engineering solution help"

Just use a socket of the correct size.

If you do not have a socket that is sized to your liking then just machine it down, either externally or internally or both.

Simples.

Job Done.

If you get really stuck, then just nip up to Perth and I will press it in for you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack evilscorp - but in the same vein..

I'm having a mare today attempting to find an off the shelf socket for pressing my compression arm bushes out.. I've been physically showing my comp arm to many sockets.. 1 13/16 Halfords impact for example is just too big. Many places sell 40 and 44mm sockets, but Internet says 1 11/16 craftsman brand socket as the pusher, which is about 42mm (42.8) - but the unknown exterior diameter is important.

Craftsman appears to be Chrome-vanadium not impact too.

Surprisingly - and I almost copped out because this is getting a bit too strange - the garages around Bucks struggle with bush pressing. Lengths are often gone too by some places like turning sockets on lathes etc :scare: Every garage I spoke to sucked air through teeth and were scared :lol:

Hate to think I'm going become unglued on this.. anyone got a recommendation for a known working socket size and brand (e.g. Sealy Cr-V 42mm) that does the job - and is available in the UK rapidly? Otherwise it could get expensive buying large sockets off eBay at random..

just burn them out

Really? does the metal collar collapse then or can be picked out then? Burning with fire sounds a bit last ditch, but thanks for the suggestion..

just burn them out

I ended up getting a hole saw and cutting out a steel washer must have been 3-4mm thick and it started to bend when I put my 35mm socket on it so wouldn't advise that technique as it only just worked.

:lol: 35mm is a lot smaller - I can imagine the worry when the washer started bending

I looked for dies - £20 - blimey all the sets I saw were about £120 :scare:

Hmm. Appears the drift o/d needs to be about 59.5+ to push the 60mm interference diameter of the old bush, with 2cm of depth clearance. Bum. I thought this was going to be easy :(

I have one of these in my spare bedroom BTW

C48A0857-84CC-4E6C-AE8D-09404410FE28.jpg

Right, buggrit. I've ordered a Draper Expert 42mm 05023 3/4" square drive Hi Torq 6-point Impact socket from Amazon. With a title like that mouthful, it had better work :lol:

Stated dimensions were 59mm diameter x 5.5cm, so *should* fit nicely in the arm's bore, and just contact the metal ring (which is 2mm thick). Won't know till Monday though :thumbs:

Just ask a local engineering company to turn something of the correct size for you. Won't cost you much more than a suitably sized socket I wouldn't have thought and will be millimetre perfect. I've got a mate who can do this kind of thing for me when needed. Very useful ðŸ˜

Just ask a local engineering company to turn something of the correct size for you. Won't cost you much more than a suitably sized socket I wouldn't have thought and will be millimetre perfect. I've got a mate who can do this kind of thing for me when needed. Very useful 😊

Agree, that is the way to go. :thumbs:

I have just fabricated a tool for removing the rear sub frame diff bushing in situ.

Not difficult to manufacture this sort of tool, all you require is a mate with a lathe and the correct dimensions.

Alex. :)