First Shot Detailing- a Couple of Questions 2

Dicky

1) I've been using the soft paint kit from "Polished Bliss" http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pb-soft-paint-polishing-kit-cat1.html

I believe it comes from "Lake Country" and is their Hydro Tech range. Unfortunately when using the main cutting pad ie Orange along with 85RE polish I can't get the scratches out I need to. Their not noticeable to the finger nail test so was wondering what the next highest cutting pad and polish to use.

2) Also is it the pad, the polish or both doing the cutting. All the different suppliers and their different pads and polishes makes it all a bit confusing.

To answer your first question, 85RE is a finishing compound, for more cut use the 203S from that kit. However, I gather from your previous posts that you've already been using this, is that right? If not, try 203S on the Tangerine pad and work it well before checking.

To answer your second question; both. Polishing pads come in various degrees of cut, as do with compounds so both actually do some of the work. Most pads fall into the same general category - no cut, finishing (light cut - like the Crimson one you have), polishing (medium cut - the Tangerine one) and heavy cut (if they have a name, it currently eludes me) - but some also offer "in between" pads too, which are halfway between the one above and the one below. Most retailers are nice and will arrange them in terms of cut level on their website, others not so much so. There's a chart floating about on Detailing World somewhere which if no one else provides, I will dig out for you when I have more time.

• Like 1

Funnily enough I had a similar experience with the same kit at the weekend, it took quite a bit of pressure and many passes to shift a few very light scratches. I'm starting to think this Nissan paint isn't as soft as I'd feared.

I spend half the time terrified I'll cut through into the boot and the rest of my time scratching my head wondering why the defects won't go away :lol: I'm going microfibres pads and rubbing compound next time ;)

• Like 1

To answer your first question, 85RE is a finishing compound, for more cut use the 203S from that kit. However, I gather from your previous posts that you've already been using this, is that right? If not, try 203S on the Tangerine pad and work it well before checking.

To answer your second question; both. Polishing pads come in various degrees of cut, as do with compounds so both actually do some of the work. Most pads fall into the same general category - no cut, finishing (light cut - like the Crimson one you have), polishing (medium cut - the Tangerine one) and heavy cut (if they have a name, it currently eludes me) - but some also offer "in between" pads too, which are halfway between the one above and the one below. Most retailers are nice and will arrange them in terms of cut level on their website, others not so much so. There's a chart floating about on Detailing World somewhere which if no one else provides, I will dig out for you when I have more time.

Cheers young man I appreciate your guidance.

Apologies your right I've been using the 203S for light cutting along with the Tangerine pad. I've been selecting about 1/4 of the bonnet as my area, then having applied the polish I do 3 passes (a pass = Virtical polishing the area then horizontally polishing the same area)

So I assume I could either do say 6 passes or more, or buy another suppliers medium cutting pad and polish (assuming their suitable for soft paint) for the slightly deeper scratches.

As it happens this requirement isn't for my gunmetal car, which doesn't seem to show scratches to readily, but for my daughters friends car who has a black Vauxhall VXR which does.

I'm going microfibres pads and rubbing compound next time ;)

:scare:

Good luck with that. :p

As it happens this requirement isn't for my gunmetal car, which doesn't seem to show scratches to readily, but for my daughters friends car who has a black Vauxhall VXR which does.

Ah, this is a different matter - harder paint, y'see. Personally I'd step up a stage with the polish first - my choice would be Scholl S17+ but if you want to stick with Menz, 234 would be the one - on the tangerine pad still, if that doesn't get the results you're after, step up to the pad too, that being the Cyan Hydro Tech.

Be warned though with that level of cut from either polish or pad, especially on black, you're likely going to have to do a 2 stage polish - heavier cut to remove the defects, then refine with a lighter cut combination to get the shine (which on harder paint would probably 85RE on the tangerine pad - a combination that would be moderate-to-heavy cut on soft paint.... confused yet? :teeth: ).

Just for reference, microfibre pads typically have considerably more cut than foam pads. Denim pads have more cut than microfibre pads. And Reyon pads will remove good paint from metal surprisingly quickly. :surrender:

I'm going microfibres pads and rubbing compound next time ;)

:scare:

Good luck with that. :p

Ah, this is a different matter - harder paint, y'see. Personally I'd step up a stage with the polish first - my choice would be Scholl S17+ but if you want to stick with Menz, 234 would be the one - on the tangerine pad still, if that doesn't get the results you're after, step up to the pad too, that being the Cyan Hydro Tech.

Be warned though with that level of cut from either polish or pad, especially on black, you're likely going to have to do a 2 stage polish - heavier cut to remove the defects, then refine with a lighter cut combination to get the shine (which on harder paint would probably 85RE on the tangerine pad - a combination that would be moderate-to-heavy cut on soft paint.... confused yet? :teeth: ).

Just for reference, microfibre pads typically have considerably more cut than foam pads. Denim pads have more cut than microfibre pads. And Reyon pads will remove good paint from metal surprisingly quickly. :surrender:

CONFUSED, WHAT ME.......This is no harder than understanding the origin of the universe!

By the way I came across a table of paint hardness and Vauxhall was under the heading of soft paint? (see below)

I'm afraid I need to digest and research your last post because either my second glass of Merlot or your post has got my head spinning

UK Paint Hardness Information (last updated 01/11/09)

SOFT PAINT

Alfa Romeo Daewoo Ferrari (< 2005) Fiat Honda Lexus Mazda Mitsubishi Nissan Suzuki Toyota Vauxhall (1998 >)

INTERMEDIATE PAINT

Aston Martin Bentley Citroen Ferrari (2005 >) Ford Jaguar Jeep Land Rover Lotus Maserati Peugeot Porsche (1998 >) Renault Rolls Royce Saab Seat Skoda Subaru (2001 >) Vauxhall (< 1998) Volvo

Hard Paint

Audi BMW Lamborghini Mercedes Benz Mini Porsche (< 1998) Subaru (< 2001) TVR Volkswagen

That's surprising to me. As someone who has worked on a whole one Vauxhall (an a new Astra VXR) I certainly wouldn't say it had soft paint. :lol:

You could stick to the 203S and tangerine pad, but if the paint is harder then the rate of correction will be slower so it'll be more work. It's entirely up to you though, it's not my car you're working on after all. :teeth:

I found that chart too - it's very limited in the brands it shows but it should give you an idea;

53181ceade680da26bb2103957163a32_zps86f14216.jpg

• Like 1

Mr ilogikal 1 you've come up trumps yet again. I'll take your word regarding the VXR (I can't remember where I found that paint hardness list now anyway). I think I'll train the wife to do the polishing then she can do the hard work while I drink more Merlot ha ha....sounds like a plan to me.

Thanks for the chart as well, its very good of you to put so much effort in.

Dicky

Cheers young man I appreciate your guidance.

Apologies your right I've been using the 203S for light cutting along with the Tangerine pad. I've been selecting about 1/4 of the bonnet as my area, then having applied the polish I do 3 passes (a pass = Virtical polishing the area then horizontally polishing the same area)

So I assume I could either do say 6 passes or more, or buy another suppliers medium cutting pad and polish (assuming their suitable for soft paint) for the slightly deeper scratches.

Are you working the compound long enough/hard enough for it to break down?

The Menz should break down to an oily haze if I recall correctly. I don't recall how many "passes" I would have done, i judge by the visual changes in the actual compound.