Any archers?

PiGFoetus

Anyone do archery?

I used to be quite big into field archery in my late teens and early twenties, but then left it for 20 odd years.

So what with my 11 year old running round the house pretending to be Merida from the Brave movie for the last few years, I got her a cheap starter bow and a decent boss for the back garden. Of course, she tried it once, found it too difficult and hasn't touched the bow since. But, rather than being a total loss I got a new set of arrows for my compound and recurve bows, dusted them off, checked them over as they've not been used in a fair while and have been reinitiating myself with archery, I'm enjoying it and will probably join a local club soon. The clubs round here seem to be mostly target archery (which is a bit less interesting to me) and after speaking with a few of them, I've found one that isn't too prejudiced against compounds and it's within 5 miles of me, which is good.

Need to relearn my technique though, as the string rash currently adorning my left arm is a sight to behold and my arm guard has given up the ghost.

Any of you chaps and chapesses partake?

Hi PiGFoetus

I shot field and target for quite a long time. Where abouts are you based? If you are in the UK I may be able to point you in the right direction for a decent field archery club :thumbs:

Hi PiGFoetus

I shot field and target for quite a long time. Where abouts are you based? If you are in the UK I may be able to point you in the right direction for a decent field archery club :thumbs:

Ledbury, Herefordshire.

I was of old a member of the Severn Valley Yeoman Foresters, north of Worcester.

Hi PiGFoetus, I like archery although don't really do it a lot and nor am I a member at any clubs but I do have my own compound bow setup. B)

I'm shooting a Bear Charge compound bow using a Jim Fletcher .44 caliper release aid. The bow has a Trophy Ridge whisker biscuit, Trophy Ridge Cypher 3 sight with added sight light.

Don't have many arrows for it though, in fact I only have 6 but they are very decent. The arrows I had made up for me are Easton carbon fibre power flight arrows which so far have served me well.

If you need to buy any archery gear I'd highly recommend Merlin Archery as I got all my stuff from them and the service was first class.

Link: http://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/

I just use my setup in my garage which is a little short range but at least I'm able to get good groupings. :lol::D

My son is in a club in Oxford - met a South Korean lady there giving tips she was the Olympic champion but not sure what discipline. He really enjoys it

I shoot a Martin Gonzo Safari Compound ... one of Ted Nugent's endorsed bows from 20+ years back with just a standard sight and use fingers for release. Easton aluminium arrows. I'm now back to shooting 1-2 inch groups at 10m most of the time, but as that's point blank, that's not a great feat. Still, onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

I shoot a Martin Gonzo Safari Compound ... one of Ted Nugent's endorsed bows from 20+ years back with just a standard sight and use fingers for release. Easton aluminium arrows. I'm now back to shooting 1-2 inch groups at 10m most of the time, but as that's point blank, that's not a great feat. Still, onwards and upwards.

Yep same as me. Still it's very satisfying even if the distance is still short range.

Wouldn't mind trying it at longer distances but not really interested in joining a club at the moment. Also I know a lot of clubs favour recurve bows and due to the compound bows being so much more powerful either can't or won't cater for them. :thumbdown:

In case you want to try something more fun when shooting if you use an old pack of playing cards it's very challenging trying to hit the pictures individually.

Eg. 5 of Hearts playing card ~ try to hit each individual heart on the card with one arrow each (so 5 arrows).

Also extra strong mints are good target practice & they explode with a puff of white dust when your arrow hits them. ;)

I used to shoot recurve, but got tired of being constantly cold when shooting in the British weather so gave it up... shame really as when I went back 2 years later - shot the best round I ever had and the score was county level.