What to do .

Kaveney

Just going on from my build thread the car is nearly done to how I want it ( there are all ways more things I know ) but I have one last spend that I have said I would do but not sure what way to go .

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/97284-gm-350z-gt/

I have some more suspension pats coming to finish the old bus off but one more of the below I have aloud and just want to get some thoughts .

Option 1

Torqen big brake kit ( 6 pot ) will need to check this fits but 6 pots does sound nice .

Option 2

Akebono big brake kit bigger discs than the above ( 355 front 350 rear vs 356 front 330 rear ) and cheaper but only 4 pots front and 2 pots rear .

Option 3

Replace clutch & DMFW ( clutch is not slipping but is on 91K ) + fit DC sport S/S headers when clutch is done to save on labour .

I have changed the disc and pads and lines on the Brembo set up a few months ago but then headers will only gain around 4-6 HP

Any thoughts welcome

Alan

Get the Xtreme Clutch/SMF from CMS on here, I've not read many good things about the Akebono kit as I was looking to purchase it. You'll be better off upgrading the discs, pads, lines etc on your Brembos from what I've been told/read. If you do decide to go with the Akebono kit make sure you do the research first. :)

However the clutch is a very nice upgrade, my OEM one was on 10k when I changed it and the difference was very noticeable.

Edit: you're just down the road from me so more than happy to show you what the clutch is like.

Edited by mouthwash
  • Like 1

I dont think there is any need for a bbk on a 350z unless your fi'd, uprated discs and pads are more than capable.

A clutch and light fly is a nice addition, but you dont need to drop the engine so no point doing the headers either imho, i would only do headers if i was going to put in some cams in too.

Edited by Jetpilot

A bbk is not really necessary imo unless you have big gains. I think the braided lines etc will be plenty do personally I would improve the transmission as that's where slot of power will be lost. Be wary of stage 1 clutches though as they can be pretty hard to live with if it's your daily drive.

Be wary of stage 1 clutches though as they can be pretty hard to live with if it's your daily drive.

Stage 1 is fine, i have a freshly installed Exedy organic and feels no different to oem, just dont go for puck clutch.

Be wary of stage 1 clutches though as they can be pretty hard to live with if it's your daily drive.

Stage 1 is fine, i have a freshly installed Exedy organic and feels no different to oem, just dont go for puck clutch.

I don't know about the zed but on my old evo the stage 1 was horrendous.

The rattle really isn't as bad as you might think, as I said, welcome to have a listen/test my clutch.

They are a popular upgrade over in America for a few reasons, lots of them came with the non-Brembo calipers and the Brembo calipers prices tend to float around or above the price of the Akebono's.

BBK is massive overkill. Unless you're having issues already where you're locking the brakes constantly or have issues with heat, then you don't need bigger brakes. You're also adding unsprung mass, which will affect handling to a small degree.

Clutch and fly will make massive differences to your drive however, as you'll have an engine that revs more freely so will lose less power from the drivetrain. That plus the headers will give you a net gain of around 10bhp at a guess, but in terms of feeling it will feel a lot quicker. The rattle is nothing, it's only there when idling anyway and how often do you sit there at idle thinking how nice your car sounds? Mine was as bad a one as I've ever heard, and even then it was just an acknowledgement of how awesome I was for fitting something that cool. :)

As you know I have the akebonos fitted to my zed ......... I've read a few threads on the US forum about them , but from first hand experience ( only a few have actually fitted them on here so it's all only what they have read) they are better than the brembos ..... By how much is debatable ... But for me they were a marked improvement over the brembo set up . How many issues have you read on here about 370z brakes?

....... But they are heavier as dan said and its unsprung weight , so will / does affect handling / balance of the car . Everything you modify on a car has good points and bad , it's just weighing up what's good for you .

The 6 pot torqen package looks great and no doubt are alot better than the brembos / akebonos but are alot more to buy .

If I were you I'd be getting the extreme clutch combo from Clark Motorsport because at 91k it's not going to be long before you need it anyway , I've heard it in the flesh and its really not worth worrying about . I think the lighter the fly the more rattle . But the extreme is a good compromise between light and not too noisy .

Are the Torqen brakes not just rebranded ARTs? Not that that's a bad thing, mind, I'm just not convinced there's a need for them from a performance POV on a non-tracked Zed.

I'm the first person to say do the brakes first, but a solid Brembo setup with good pads, discs and fluid will be more than enough, which you've already done Kaveny :thumbs:

If you want your car to have sexy socks under its sandals get the bbk. If you're overheating your brakes on track during your time attack sessions, get the bbk. If you started this thread because you wanted everyone to be amazed you're getting a bbk and that's what you're actually going to do, then do it.

There's nothing wrong with getting a bbk just for the sake of it, but don't try to dress it up to be more than it is :lol:

If you're looking for a difference in driveablity you want the flywheel and some exhaust breather mods, maybe a plenum spacer and chuck in a decent air filter. Oh and take the spare wheel out the boot :lol: