So much for self parking cars

Will370z

Many in my office can't understand my enjoyment of jumping into my v6 motor and going off on a long road trip to Scotland or Southern Europe. "Is that your idea of a holiday?" they say. They can't wait for the future when a commute consists of a self drive Google car while they read a book or catch up on emails. That's my idea of hell.

Seeing this latest advertising stunt go wrong made me smile, although I feel sorry for the person who got hit, poor chap.

http://www.dailydot.com/technology/volvo-self-parking-car-accident-dominican-republic/

• Like 1

Seeing this latest advertising stunt go wrong made me smile, although I feel sorry for the person who got hit, poor chap.

+1. ;)

Honestly hate the idea of this type of thing. If only they could put their R&D time into something more useful. :dry:

People should be wary as many things that have come about to supposedly make our lives easier and free up time have ended up making us busier. That time has then been taken away from you and is used for someone else. Just think about work emails that are being done on the move when that journey time used to be yours to enjoy.....

Apparently due to 'human error'. The technology is getting there, after-all most modern planes can land without any human input, parking a car is hardly any more complicated...Which will probably lead to the only logical conclusion....Which is to 'eliminate' human error :D

http://www.theguardi...n-human-drivers

If we end up with had fully automated cars which can talk to each other....Say the AI on a bus carrying 20 school kids works out a crash with a car carrying 2 people is inevitable, and the choice is between crashing into the car or missing the car but crashing into a concrete barrier....Which one would you program it to choose....Self preservation, crash into the car (probably killing its occupants) but keep most of the kids alive, or avoid the car but hit the barrier - potentially causing more harm to those on board....Which one would the fresh prince choose to do :lol:

i-robot-10.jpg

Than of-course when fully aware AI appear, and if someone is stupid enough to program the AI to say 'Run the world as efficiently as possible', it doesn't take a super intelligent computer to work out we (as humans) are the most illogical/energy wasting/disruptive species on the planet, and than it'll only be a matter of time before we welcome the 'new' world....I need to stop watching Sci-Fi films :lol:

matrix.gif

Edited by gangzoom

Really? I really like the idea of self driving....

* I dont have to take train to work

* It takes the idiots off the road

* Driving becomes about the pleasure of it

* Imagine the savings on insurance!!!

Edited by grahamc

Really? I really like the idea of self driving....

* I dont have to take train to work

* It takes the idiots off the road

* Driving becomes about the pleasure of it

* Imagine the savings on insurance!!!

Can't tell if sarcasm or not Graham? :dry:

I mean nobody is forcing you to take the train to work are they? Why can't you drive now & why would a self driving/parking car make it ok for you to drive then?

I understand the bit about taking the idiots off the road.

Were is the pleasure in driving if you are doing nothing though?

I get no pleasure from driving when I'm not driving and am a passenger ~ in fact it's bl**dy awful & very tedious.

Not sure really that there would be massive saving on insurance either as vehicles do get damaged still via vandalism, natural disasters etc. ;)

Quite honestly, no sarcasm...

I take trains into London from Surrey, because the traffic is just a nightmare every day and the way people drive just makes me angry. With self drive, I could lie in the car, resting, sleeping and not worry. The only other option is cycling and I used to cycle to work (6 miles) and pretty much every trip had a near death experience thanks to idiots trying to squeeze past, mis-judging the distance to a concrete divide and buses, just being buses, they were the worst.

I would still keep the GTR/240z for pleasure driving.... driving to work for me has never been fun, whereas just going for a drive in Sussex or Kent is for the fun of it. I would have some energy efficient POS that is self-drive, just for work.

The biggest cost of insurance is accidents, so insurance for vandalism, natural disasters, etc is such a small piece of the pie.

• Like 1