2004 Clutch, Pedal issue, (slave rulled out as fault)

DarmoZ

Was driving along and noticed I couldn't change gears. Pulled over. When I pressed the clutch pedal down it would stick there at the bottom and wouldn't come back up. I quickly realised the clutch is fully engaaged and will not disengage, my pedal action does nothing.

I callled AA and then did some research and realised this could be slave cylinder issue. I pointed this out to the guy and we did some work together he went under the car and I was depressing and releasing the clutch as he told me to while a third person was up top keeping the clutch fluid topped up. He concluded that it's not a hydrolics issue, and the plates are stuck together. He said either the pressure plate is gone, or the clutch release bearings.

Got it towed to the garage and the mechanic will take a look on Monday.

The cluth and flywheel was done less then 5k miles ago, so very surprised about this. I was noticing some burning smells starting a few days before this happend.

Can anyone shed some light on this, and also tell me where is the best place to get a good clutch at a good price for the 2004 350z?

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the slave and/or master cylinder. I bet a single Curly Wurly* on it. It's such a common fault, and I've yet to hear of the plate or bearing going on a clutch that's done 5K miles.

*No more boxes, if I keep being wrong this will start getting expensive.

It's the master cylinder almost certainly. It's particularly common when you upgrade to a heavier duty clutch than stock.

I'd go with the zspeed wildwood master cylinder upgrade and if you are there might as well upgrade to a ss clutch cable and better fluid. It works better and is easier to bleed.

However just replacing the MC with the OEM MC and re bleeding the system should do it.

If you did not change the slave cylinder or release bearing then i'd recommend you do that as those may fail eventually.

I made that mistake years ago and now need a new gearbox or repair my old want as the clutch killed my 6th to 5th baulk ring and 4th to 5th synchro.

https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart/description.php?II=9261

The guys at Torqen should be able to source this at short notice.

In Anticipation for the Mechanic saying the clutch and flywheel need replacing, what do you guys think of JWT 14lbs Lightweight flywheel and clutch combination?

Iv'e heard good things about the JWT Products. However they need shipping from the US.

I have also been looking at Competition Clutch stage 2, lightweight flywheel and clutch which you can get both for around the same price as the JWT except in the UK (on many sites, including ebay)

What do you guys recommend?

Edited by DarmoZ

You said you did your clutch and flywheel 5k ago so shouldn't need changing unless you want to upgrade. You can get an OEM MC and SC from Nissan or CMS and I'd expect it will be about or just over £100.

Other other hand for a bit more you can have all the upgraded stuff I mentioned and sleep easy. Torqen imports parts almost daily from the states and will get you all you need including a JWT HD clutch and flywheel combo. It's a very good system and that what's I have on the car.

You said you did your clutch and flywheel 5k ago so shouldn't need changing unless you want to upgrade.

Torqen imports parts almost daily from the states and will get you all you need.

I Agree regarding the clutch and flywheel should not need replacing being this new. I should get the receipt sent today over from previous owner who did the clutch and flywheel, so then i will know what exactly was done and which parts were used, I remember him saying he didn't go for the lightweight so I assume he put a stock OEM one on (dual mass excedy) I will confirm this shortly.

You mention 'Torqen' but the site you gave me is 'Concept Z Performance' can you explain what you mean?

Nether the less it is a very good site and reasonable pricing that makes me feel like a kid in a candy store (especially now the £ is strong) :D

Here is my shopping basket so far, depending on what the mechanic says on Monday I will order the parts I need from this basket list. (im praying he simply says Master)

Anything I'm missing in my basket?

Zmanalex is apparently the guy on the forum that can source and ship clutch parts in the UK, iv'e already pinged him, maybe he can get these parts at a better rate :teeth:

Thanks for all the Help.

QrrlSNs.jpg

Torqen is a trader here and deals with CZP directly and other major brands. You will save the massive shipping and duty costs going with them.

Looks like you are on track with the order just need:

-Nismo/CZP pilot roller bearing. (Better than the brass one)

-SS clutch line ( to replace the OEM rubber hose between the OEM hardline and SC) It's an extra with the z speed MC upgrade kit.

- and if you car is 2003-2004 get the clutch fork upgrade.

See the combo.

https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart/description.php?II=7023

Edited by GT4 Zed

@GT4 Zed Thanks the info this sounds excellent how can i get in contact with Torqen to place an order?

- I have re-added the JWT clutch to the basket this time with the Nismo Bearing.

- Regarding the SS clutch line option on the zspeed MC kit, i don't see it as a selectable option (see pic below). Is this not the same as CZP product i already have in the basket?

- Finally regarding the fork it mentions on the product page 'Please note this kit is not necessary on the 04+, as these vehicles already have this upgrade standard.' My Zed is the 2004 04 reg.

@ZMAZALEX Thanks will take a look :)

QGd0qtk.jpg

You can contact any trader here via pm.

Yes if you car is 2004+ you don't need the upgrade fork but there is a watershed when early 2004 cars would have had the previous fork. You can check with Nissan or just get it for what it cost and be sure.

WRT the ss line you don't need as you got it in the basket. My bad, but go with the insulated one or heat wrap it when you install it.

Edited by GT4 Zed

Great thanks for confirming, I have found the reciept for clutch and flywheel. Previous owner bought and installed it Feb 2015! Practically new!

Although I'm not sure about the quality of the product, this is the one he got from NCDUK, it's manafactures by techniclutch. Have you ever heard of this brand or know much of it?

http://www.ncduk.com/nissan-350z-clutch-kit-with-luk-dual-mass-flywheel-4374-p.asp

After reading the post by ZMANALEX in the thread here: http://www.350z-uk.com/index.php?/topic/94649-Issues-with-clutch-kit-change%3F-%3F

It looks like this could very well be the clutch gone. Under 5k!

I think a lesson can be drawn for everyone on here, never buy anything from NCDUK or Techniclutch products.

UPDATE:

Turns out it was the Clutch that was the issue, was some re-conditioned piece of crap, it was burnt up and half the friction material gone, clearly not up to the job, neither the 'LUK' Flywheel or the clutch had any logo or part number on them. Anyway my mechanic ordered new OEM parts and will fit them, he checked Hydraulics and all is good there.

Lesson Learnt: Never Ever buy Techniclutch or go to National Clutch Distributors UK for Anything!

The OEM one is very expensive (as always) £485 (Clark Motorsport), you can get an Excedy one for £275. I don't think many of the traders on here would recommend replacing the clutch with the OEM one. Not that its bad, buts its just far too overpriced.

• Like 1

If anyone is looking for a quality upgraded kit we do the Xtreme clutch and lightweight flywheel kit for £715

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/95545-new-xtreme-clutch-organic-inc-smf-350z-de/

We have 10 kits arriving this week as last weeks 5 have now gone already :) A lot of members now running this kit with very positive feedback, the HR kit for 350Z HR and 370Z is on the shelf and offers a complete solution

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/92517-new-release-xtreme-clutch-kit-inc-smf-and-csc-solution-350z-hr-and-370z/

Please get in touch if you need any clutch advise, from a standard road car to full on race or drift car.

The OEM one is very expensive (as always) £485 (Clark Motorsport), you can get an Excedy one for £275. I don't think many of the traders on here would recommend replacing the clutch with the OEM one. Not that its bad, buts its just far too overpriced.

Yes I mentioned this to him, but he said Excedy is not that good, he managed to get a different one his supplier says is good and he provides two year warranty for any clutch he fits, he's done mates rate on labour (He's a customer of our restaurant business and we are a customer of his garage). Total for new clutch / Flywheel and Labour is £900. Plus he came to the garage at 9:30pm on a Friday night just about as he was ready to go out, so I could leave my Zed on ramp over the weekend.