Fangs and rear diffuser 'delete'

James Junior

Hi guys,

I am keen to get to work tweaking my new Zed.

Being a worshiper at the altar of OEM+ don't expect anything revolutionary, just a few subtle tweaks, many of which I am sure have been done by others many times before.

Firstly I want to get my fangs and rear diffuser painted in black, whilst I also wish to have the roof vinyl wrapped in black.

My initial thought was to have all three wrapped, however research indicated that the fangs and diffuser don't take well to wrapping given their shape and proximity to the road.

So, my local bodyshop have offered to paint the fangs and diffuser for £150 which I didn't think was too bad at all.

Questions is; gloss black or matt black?!

My initial thought was to go matt black, as this would match with the matt black radiator grill and lower front bumper protector.

However, i also wondered if it would look a bit more striking if I had the fangs, radiator grill and rear diffuser painted in gloss black, which would then be a better match to the roof.

So I guess I thought I would throw it out there and see what others have done and if any more enlightened souls than I, have opinions or views they would care to share.

Whaddaya reckon people? :huh:

Hi Ross,

Sorry for slow reply, my car is grey.

I had read a couple of posts somewhere about people who had their fangs wrapped, but that the wrap didn't stand up to wear and tear very well at all and soon started looking tatty. This was why I was leaning towards having it painted.

Has anyone else wrapped or painted their fangs and rear diffuser?

Here's a US thread where the guy replaced his front bumper and asked the paint shop to just not paint the fangs at all, looks good I think.

Black fangs on Blue: No paint and no overlays......>

I'm not suggesting it's the most economical way of doing it but I'm sure I read somewhere that paint on bumpers could be stripped without damaging the plastic using graffiti removal spray so it got me thinking. :unsure:

IMG_1821-vi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I PlastiDipped my fangs just recently. Its not the best finish since I didnt prepare the fangs first. I wanted it to be removable so I didnt want to rub down the original paint. I literally just cleaned the fangs and then PlastiDipped right over the top of all the scratches and stone chips. Im happy with it for the £12 it cost me.

DSC_0890.jpg

DSC_0895.jpg

DSC_0897.jpg

Edited by Bundus

Wrapping on my 370 was virtually the same condition as when I sold the car nearly 5 years on:

http://www.350z-uk.c.../page__hl__wrap

Think I was the first in the UK to do this on a 370. :D

Anything at the front is going to suffer stone damage but it was easy fixed using a fine brush with matt black Humbrol paint. A regular dose of pure beeswax kept a satin-look shine :)