How to deal with Lacquer runs?

Grundy

I'm hoping one of our detailing experts will be able to give me some pointers...

So we sprayed my new bumper last weekend, we went a little heavy on lacquer :lol: Thus leaving a couple of runs on the splitter.

These should buffer out not a problem,

Just looking for any tips. From what I've been reading up on, I need to...

- Wet/Soapy sand down the area, polish back up.

Just a bit dubious of sanding :lol: Preferences on products to use? Preferably something I can pick up at halfords if I don't already have it :lol:

1500 grit and pref a flat block. Obviously be very careful because if you strike you're gonna be painting again.

G3 and a rotary would be best to polish back in. Spray the panel and polisher head with some water and start slow to break the compound down.

If you go near the edge anywhere try and ensure the rotational direction of your polisher is going away from the panel and not up the panel (more likely to strike if you don't)

• Like 2

1500 grit and pref a flat block. Obviously be very careful because if you strike you're gonna be painting again.

G3 and a rotary would be best to polish back in. Spray the panel and polisher head with some water and start slow to break the compound down.

If you go near the edge anywhere try and ensure the rotational direction of your polisher is going away from the panel and not up the panel (more likely to strike if you don't)

And if you don't have a DA? :lol: Can this be done by hand?

Yes but it takes a lot longer - sanding block - available from any DIY store - not the cheap plastic ones they are to hard - failing that a small bit of wood and fold the sandpaper in half wrap it round and away you go - small circles is best otherwise you rub grooves, keep the paper wet and rinse the surface a lot.

Good luck :thumbs:

• Like 1

Find a second hand DA, it'll surely save you ages and you'll be set up for future detailing!