Stronger hydraulic rams for boot

Argyll

I'm not sure where to post this so move me if it's in the wrong place.

I'm fed up the boot lid not staying up so I want to put stronger hydraulic rams in. Where can I get them?

They are called Boots Struts mate :thumbs:

Try Bigphil :)

ahem.... boot struts :p

Bollocks :):lol:

Seeing as we'r on the subject: Does anyone know how to remove the boot struts?

Its just that I have company lined up to make me heavy duty gas struts for a very cheap price, but I must send them one of mine from the zed. Also must try & give them an approximate weight of the rear tailgate inmcluding my big Impul rear wing?? I bought a newton meter for the job, but not very accurate due to angle of lift.

ps this is the company Tosker, they will make from scratch, approx £40

http://www.gasstruts.co.uk/component-gas-struts.php

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5312&highlight=gas+struts

oops I was meant to do that one year ago!! :headhurt:

I'm fed up the boot lid not staying up so I want to put stronger hydraulic rams in. Where can I get them?

If still under Warranty Nissan will replace them no questions asked.

Mine went two weeks after I got it.... boot landed on ma head :headhurt:

If still under Warranty Nissan will replace them no questions asked.

Mine went two weeks after I got it.... boot landed on ma head :headhurt:

did it knocked any sense in ya? :p:lol:

or u could just take the weights out the bootlid :teeth:

Done that and the cars a JDM so no warranty. I'll try that company mate but I can't be arsed having to find out how heavy the boot lid is and also send one away. i'd rather have it done there and then.

Edit: hey Rickya I've just noticed that link you posted was a year ago! What you been doing man ha ha. Can you let me know the spec for the boot strut required and I@ll send mine off? Cheers mate.

Yep i called bigphil regarding "uprated boot struts" and he assures me that these new struts do the trick.. they are about £100 on exchange basis.. u send yours off and they return them to u next day, easy really.

The removal of the counter balance weight from boot lid isnt good enough when youve installed a spoiler (nismo or other)..i did that few weeks ago and the boot will still collapse on my head if im not careful.

U need to ring bigphil to make an order cos he just moved office and no internet there yet. 07714457051

It's because it is hydraulic. In the summer the liquid will expand more as it is hotter thus offering more lift and in the winter the reverse effect happens. :headhurt:

I think I might have to change the hydraulic oil!

The way I get round it is to lift the boot slowly, hold it for a few seconds and take my hand away slowly (without my head in the way) this seems to work. I don't have a wing on my car but the weights are still in!

Does anyone else find the boot much worse in the cold? Mine boot stays up when opened in the summer no problem then come winter it falls on my napper. It's a nightmare!

Thanks mate. I was going to post this but I thought I was just imagining things. At least i know now.

Struts direct contacted me today with the following message

'Thank-you for your recent enquiry, however unfortunately we will be unable to help you on this occasion as we do not have the specification for the Nissan 350Z boot struts'

Can anyone help?

Thanks mate but I'll shop around first. I think £100 is a bit expensive.

I doubt there will be cheaper offer, from what ive heard Bigphils stuff usually the best quality and price..Nissan offer replacement for £250 and theyre not even uprated.. if u do find cheaper it'll probably be bad quality and wrong fitment

Thanks mate but I'll shop around first. I think £100 is a bit expensive.

The main problem you will have is that the bottom bracket on the struts is not removable so if you find a set of struts they need to be modified to accept the original bracket once it is cut from the original struts.

The price we supply at includes us carrying out the modification so you can bolt straight onto the car.