Swiss roads

jimboy2

So at some point this year we are going to Switzerland. my girlfriend parents have a house in Ascona near Locarno.

Were thinking of going out there and taking the Zed. Which roads are must do's on the way there? The Furka pass is about 2 hours away so that's on the list.

I know a lot of you are regulars over that way.

Look on Google maps and your see there is a whole load of roads which all look like cooked spaghetti!!

Furka pass is awesome, I did three times, but it's almost a case of driving in any direction that's not a Motorway and your find perfect roads/scenery.

• Like 1

I lived in Switzerland and have traveled around a few times..... Scenery is EPIC!!! But be careful on the roads, they dont like modified cars (illegal for locals), they dont like speeding, there are a lot of cameras and they change the speed limit quite often. Got 3 fines in a rental car and luckily 0 when I went across in the GTR.

They do love their Maseratis, Astons, etc, seen some awesome cars out there. Post up your basic route and lets see what you have so far!

Also, do NOT try and sneak anything meat or alcohol based in (very strict limits), they really dont like it and will take the car apart at the border crossing.

I lived in Switzerland and have traveled around a few times..... Scenery is EPIC!!! But be careful on the roads, they dont like modified cars (illegal for locals), they dont like speeding, there are a lot of cameras and they change the speed limit quite often. Got 3 fines in a rental car and luckily 0 when I went across in the GTR.

They do love their Maseratis, Astons, etc, seen some awesome cars out there. Post up your basic route and lets see what you have so far!

Also, do NOT try and sneak anything meat or alcohol based in (very strict limits), they really dont like it and will take the car apart at the border crossing.

Haven't thought up any route yet.

I really like Switzerland apart from it's so expensive! Her parents have a house on the side of a mountain looking over lake. It's beautiful. Will stick a photo up in a min.

There is a coule of maseratis and a ferrari that live on the same road. The ferrari owner used to get a lot of hate from the neighbours for taking his car out on a Sunday lol.

I went in my decatted & modified Z, was driving spiritedly around the nice roads and didn't get a single fine. My only advice would be to make sure your satnav is aimed at the twisty roads, if you hit a tunnel through a mountain you can be driving for 15 miles (km?) before hitting the exit and then you probably won't want to drive back to go over the top.

• Like 2

I went in my decatted & modified Z, was driving spiritedly around the nice roads and didn't get a single fine. My only advice would be to make sure your satnav is aimed at the twisty roads, if you hit a tunnel through a mountain you can be driving for 15 miles (km?) before hitting the exit and then you probably won't want to drive back to go over the top.

This is bloody brilliant advice! :thumbs:

This is bloody brilliant advice! :thumbs:

I found the Nissan Birdview absolutely excellent for this, I set way points near the start of each road I wanted to drive on, then when I was a few miles away I'd use the edit route feature where you can drag the road ahead of me around using the joystick until it went squiggly and looked fun. Otherwise you may find your sat nav trying to take you on trains under mountains and all sorts (not as bad as tunnels mind, you can turn around before the train).

It's her step dads. Would love to go there more often it's so beautiful.

The house is up for sale at the moment. Has been for over a year so can't see it going any time soon. Be a shame when it does eventually go.

Thorough the valley over to the right of the picture is Italy. We often go over there for dinner. It's about 30 min drive and half the price to eat out.

Edited by jimboy2
  • Like 1

It's her step dads. Would love to go there more often it's so beautiful.

The house is up for sale at the moment. Has been for over a year so can't see it going any time soon. Be a shame when it does eventually go.

Thorough the valley over to the right of the picture is Italy. We often go over there for dinner. It's about 30 min drive and half the price to eat out.

Normal sale time for property in Switzerland is 2-3 years, no one there is in much of a rush.

Wow that's what you call a house, with a view to die for. Have travelled by ferry to France, driven through Switzerland and out into Austria. Fantastic views, kept stopping for photography. Certainly an experience to enjoy. :)