370 roadster seat belt not retracting

SwissZ

Hi

Dropped my Z off at the dealers yesterday so get a few things sorted. One of them being the drivers seatbelt doesn't retract all the way. If you feed it in slowly it will eventually retract, but it's a pain and most of the time it just hangs around down by the seat bottom.

The dealer will swap out under warranty, but told me he had another roadster there that did exactly the same thing and if they replaced it and it was no better they might have to charge me for it. He may be just trying to get out of doing the work because it's an extended warranty he gave me when I bought the car. I told him to do the work, but now I'm a bit worried it wouldn't make a difference.

Anyone else experienced this?

Cheers

Hmmmm possible, pretty much gets used all the time once the weather picks up but it spent a fair bit of time garaged over the winter.

Regardless, I assume it will be fine once replaced. Can't see any reason a brand new seat belt wouldn't retract fully. :shrug:

pull the seatbelt all the way out, if the car is garaged over winter it might well be cold or damp which slows down the return. if it feels like theres moisture on the belts pull the seatbelts all the way out and dry them out, then they should retract quicker. I presume you're always running air con when you're driving the car?

Might have to charge you if they CAN'T fix a problem? Interesting business practice!

It's just dirty. Give it a proper clean, job done. I know I've provided instructions for the best way to clean seat belts on here before so use the search (or better still Google) for that.

Yeah, the drivers seatbelt on the Renault Clio I had started doing this, got an advisory on the MOT about it. I just gently washed it using a clean dishcloth with warm water and a touch of washing up liquid. Problem solved.

Pete

:lol: bit of a dilemma now. Car's already at the dealer, part's already ordered, it'll be swapped under warranty and how can it not fix the problem.

Do I tell him to leave it and I'll try washing or just let him get on with changing it because:

1. he told me another Z he has there does the same thing so it appears to be normal :wacko:

2. as it appears normal, if he changes it and it still doesn't retract he would have to charge me :wacko:

3. and then on top of all that, surely Nissan should know that just cleaning it would do the job :surrender:

What would you do? :teeth:

its under warranty - if that doesn't fix it what the hell would - you should not be paying

I'm assuming they're replacing the whole mechanism not just the belt ?

Good question. I also assumed the whole thing. Hope they don't leave the possibly dirty belt and change the mechanism! :lol:

Pete raises a good point about the mot advisory. If would fail an mot it will 100% fail the Swiss equivalent. They are really strict....

Whatever happens, I won't be paying. :thumbs:

had the same problem in my 350z, cleaned with warm soapy water, left out fully extended to dry, worked a treat, surprising how dirty they were but it was over 8 years old tho.

• Like 1