The trackcar is dead! Long live the trackcar!

Ah cheers Jez, that would be really useful :) I was looking at the DJ wings but just dont have that kind of money atm

I did read some comments from APR where someone had asked about raising thdir wing and apparently the higher you go from theyre default hwight the lwss downforce it produces and more drag. They said that because its a 3d wing it needs to be low and to go higher a 2d wing should be considered.

Enjoying playing with all this as learnong a lot :D

• 1 month later...

Sadly not a lot of progress lately :(

Moved house a few villages away and the Z is still at the old house.....

However my custom FLCA's are done. Theyre not the prettiest but we went for maximum bracing on this set to avoid failure on track. The benefits of them is that I now have camber adjustment from the bottom and once I do the upper and banana arms I will be able to increase the track width without spacers to improve the scrub radius :D The arm also improves the ARB mount, as stock this is offset and rather than work against the ARB the arm twists around the droplink mount. We have moved the droplink to a more central position and also placed it in double shear, this forces the arm to work against the ARB and greatly increases the effectiveness of the ARB :D

24741073154_4fd296facb_b.jpgCustom lower arm by ben taylor, on Flickr

25004069489_50afd3663c_b.jpgCustom lower arm by ben taylor, on Flickr

25278645481_a84fab258a_b.jpgCustom lower arm by ben taylor, on Flickr

Also the Carbon has arrived for the BGW :D Its so pretty! Nervous about doing the job, but Ive watched some youtube vidoes so should be fine......lol Luckily with carbon more epoxy can be added and then sanded and polished back to get it to look good!

Just need some ally end bits for it, for the end plates to screw to, and then the wrapping begins

24840655994_a392642231_b.jpgIMG_20160217_111353 by ben taylor, on Flickr

25378642641_412b7e27b3_b.jpg2016-03-03_02-32-08 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Also got some new wheels for wet days, will be shod in Rainsport 3's.

Theyre 17" Desmond Regamasters - one of, if not the, lightest wheels available without going magnesium. However Im now thinking of moving these on for some uber wide gram lights from tarmacsportz for semi slicks and making my 18" rega's the wet weather wheels......first world problems!

25353074302_d0714c9d0c_b.jpg2016-03-03_02-32-20 by ben taylor, on Flickr

• Like 1

Well, as some already know I ****ed up on the arms :(

I failed to check the grade of Ally I ordered and ordered stuff which was too soft, coupled with the annealing from the welding softening it further - well long sotry short the threads on the rose joint stripped whilst I was driving it and the passenger side of the car collapsed.

Wing is damaged, tie rod bent, sideskirt ruined, inner arch ripped out - hopefully the coilover survived!

25555095911_8b4a6371db_b.jpg20160306_142451 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Annoyed? Very! Such a schoolboy error! But all part of the R&D process I guess.

So moving on with the build, and trackday season looming I moved on from trying to make my own arms and decided to just order some. That it seems was a dangerous decision as, after weighing up the costs involved vs available adjustability, I ended up ordering this....

24812338-origpic-b03545.jpg

The range of adjustability on the kit is amazing! Roll centre is corrected, adjustable camber, caster, ackerman, adjustable shock mount point to fine tune suspension stiffness, the track is wider so meaning a better scrub radius is attainable etc simply amazing! And it weighs the same as the stock setup, so no unnecessarily added weight. The only drawback is the lack of ARB mount (as the ARB restricted the lock) So I will have to add one of these and then a lock stop to stop the wheel banging against the roll bar.

Lessons learnt? Absolutely - but onwards and upwards and cant wait to play with this kit on track - Though I suspect I will have to order the rear kit later this year......

Booked Cadwell for the 28th April so the pressures on now to get the car to a trackable state!

Edited by fake ben taylor
  • Like 3

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_radius

Good littlw read up on scrub radius :)

And as for width, cant rwally find any figures but a 9.5j et12 on wisefab set up is 6ft7 overall width. Looking at pictures of others, id guess at 30mm each side. Im on 25mm spacers so hoping i can get away with just removing those

How much is the front track width widened?? And scrub radius? School me!!

Some info here

Nissan 350Z Wisefab Lock Kit

• 65 degrees of lock, parallel steering. As an option, there would be a possibility to buy Ackermann adjustment kit. You could tune your steering geometry either towards positive or negative Ackermann in just a few minutes even at trackside without messing up an alignment.
  • About the same weight as original aluminium suspension. All the metal components on Wisefab 350Z front suspension are from high strenght steel, including sheetmetal components, tubes, tube ends and rod end housings. Rod ends and spherical bearings are used, no rubber bushings.
  • Lower links are replaced with one arm. 2 lower links would have some benefits for circuit racing, but for drifting with higher steering angle the stiffness and packaging would become an issue. Therefore lower one piece arm is used.
  • Higher roll center (RC). Lowering the driftcar is a must to increase performance and handling, but this would mess up the original factory designed kinematics. It lowers the roll center and increases camber gain. On Wisefab knuckle, both joints are dropped, which brings the front RC up on lowered car, providing higher roll stiffness and letting to remove the front anti roll bar (sway bar) that is quite difficult to package with that high lock angles.
  • Very good camber control and minimal bump steer with high steering angles. On drift cars the dynamic camber and bump steer is much more important than static. With our kinematics we have assured that the camber would provide very good front grip and bump steer is minimal at all the range of steering.
  • Steering jacking control. During steering the car chassis is moving up and down – this is called jacking. Steering jacking is caused by combination of caster, KPI, trail and scrub. On road cars, this effect is used sometimes to balance the car or to help to turn in. During drifting, when steering angle is much bigger, jacking is also bigger, even with the same geometry and it could become a problem. We have changed the geometry that it doesn’t cause any handling issues.
  • Consistent and predictable self-alignment torque. Caster is not the only important parameter to provide sufficient self-alignment torque especially at high lock. It’s the combination of different parameters to maintain consistent trail and self-alignment torque. With our setup the steering wheel turns always to the direction of movement and doesn’t get stuck at full lock.
  • Adjustable spring and shock absorber motion ratio. The shock lower bracket has 3 attachment possibilities, which allows to change suspension stiffness and handling very quickly.

Other components, packaging and clearance.

This kit assumes coilovers to have enough clearance.

Ride height is designed to be ~80mm from front subframe to ground

Dependent on rim width and ET, wider fenders or fender flares would be needed.

Inner wheel wellsdo not need to be modified with tire diameter up to 635mm (215/45R17, 225/45R17, 235/40R17, 225/40R18 etc). Minimum rim diameter is 17â€.

Recommended backspacing is ~135mm (7“ ET45; 8“ ET35; 9“ ET20). If ET is smaller, then wheels stay more outwards, if ET is bigger, then spacers need to be used.

The kit is designed and manufactured the way that after installation and toe adjustment it’s ready to use right away.

Sorry the custom arm failed and has given you more things to sort out. Hopefully there is no other serious damage.

The WF kit is amazing but a bit of an overkill for a track only car unless you will be drifting too. Wouldn't it have been cost effective to buy the SPL or similar proper front camber arm which wouldl address your lack of camber and caster adjustability?

@veilside - I was laughing about it on the day lol youve gotta laugh about these things really, could have been so much worse!

@gt4zed - i dont think its overkill dude, the lock is but that will be reduced when I add the arb mount. The roll centre correction is worth its weight in hold in my opinion. It has such a huge effect on a cars handling ability.

Spl camber arm and tie rod ends, and tein tie rods was going to cost me £1100 :/ I wanted the fontana lower ams too which wrre another £800......makesbthe wisefab kit good value for money imo

Now that you addition up like that it makes kind of sense and tell me how much has gone into every improvement in my zed :scare;

However you wouldn't need the Fontana LCA since you would adjust camber with the UCA.

I've had looked at the WF stuff way back and looks really impressive!!! Once you fit the mounting point for the ARB you will be golden😎!

We need to catch up on the lexan rear glass plan. I'm ordering my windows now but not sure if I should get the clubman sliders or the pro ones.

• Like 1

Even without the lower arm (which i wanted to increase track width without spacers) and add spl compression bushes and uprated lower arm and shock bushes...... Youre back at good value for wisefab lol

Whats the difference between the windows? For the rearvI just need a template :)

Guys had a lot of involvement with drift cars and specific drift suspension set up.

We use a system made by TDP in Ireland on Baggsys S13 and his newly built PS13 powered by a FI VQ35!

The wisefab system is design to be run without a roll bar drifting is a very specific motorsport and the reason behind the specific suspension systems is too allow crucial sets up to allow the following:

1, adjustability of suspension jack (adjust weight transfer when on lock)

2, adjustability of KPI

3, adjustment of Ackerman

4, increase of steering movement in relation to steering input.

All the above is used to work to allow the suspension set up to keep the front wheels flat on the ground at high steering angle. This needs the ability to adjust suspension jack to enable the car to have enough traction to keep pushing the car forwards while on extreme lock.

We look towards gaining over 100kg rear axle weight when on maximum steering lock.

Just my thoughts and ideas.

Mark, Ill be honest I didnt underatand all of that completely :/ lol

Your help is appreciated however so bare with me...

Im aware its dedigned run with no arb but I am in the process of getting booked in at apw engineering for exhaust and headers amd they are also going to fab a roll bar mount on the front arms to add that back :)

Ive bought the ackerman adjust kit to move that to a better place for grip work, beyond that I think there is enough adjustability in the rest to get a grip setup, wspecially with the roll centre being corrected there wont be a lot of bump steer and camber gain?

No troubles Ben.

One thing everyone needs to understand drifting isn't about reducing grip. The sport seems to carry that on it back as it is caused drifting. Top end competition is about grip not losing grip.

You still need to be able to hit clipping points and have the ability to transverse easily from lock to lock.

With some development/time on a good alignment rig playing with angles I am sure your get a good set up track cars like some camber gain,Akerman angle needs some careful thoughts/set up.

If I can help just ask.

Oh i'll be asking lol

And yeah I know drifting is all about grip, especially at the power levels theyre running.

Its just at the front they aim to have the wheels steer parallel and flat which doesnt work as well for track stuff, or so was my underatanding? But some caster, camber and and ackerman should get it somewhere near for my needs?

The scrub radius on inital inspection looks good but theres not a lot of kpi which doeant bode well for cambwr gain, may have to rely on caster and static camber and not a lot of roll.

Another thing im thinking already is to change the spacing on the pick up for the tie rod end to add a little bunp steer and improve turn in

Another update :D

Got a Nismo thermostat from someone on here s decided to fit it whilst waiting for help with my new wisefab front kit

25257321234_306242e321_b.jpgIMG-20160317-WA0005 by ben taylor, on Flickr

old vs new

25864139766_616bbcffab_b.jpgIMG-20160317-WA0007 by ben taylor, on Flickr

got two litres of millers antifreeze to go in

25257319624_0e3bbba7c7_b.jpgIMG-20160318-WA0030 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Interestingly the magnetic drain plug on the mishimoto rad had collected quite a bit of @*!# - even though the coolant that drained out was quite clearof crud

25769380542_105164a7d3_b.jpgIMG-20160318-WA0021 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Then once help arrived we moved onto the wisefab kit - first side came out easy

25769385782_561ce74236_b.jpgIMG-20160318-WA0014 by ben taylor, on Flickr

bushes werent in the best shape

25890183745_91b34cf63c_b.jpgIMG-20160318-WA0018 by ben taylor, on Flickr

25769384702_ae615ddbdf_b.jpgIMG-20160318-WA0016 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Second side (drivers) the banana bush had siezed onto the stud and no amount of heat hammering/crowbaring/genral smashing the @*!# out f it would move it so we resorted to uncle grinder, a makita, which promptly died leaving us to use the halfords back up......it wasnt a very good morning lol

25795217911_f85e7e88fd_b.jpgIMG-20160318-WA0032 by ben taylor, on Flickr

25769378952_b9a13ba046_b.jpgIMG-20160318-WA0035 by ben taylor, on Flickr

25257447414_04702f46f7_b.jpgIMG-20160318-WA0040 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Now for the shiny new kit :D

25862939856_41a0a5d6bd_b.jpg20160318_173618 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Sadly it seems I need wide arches - this is with my 25mm spacers removed and no disc on the hub lol!!

25863694336_fc3f56a284_b.jpgFB_IMG_1458329073552 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Decent wide arches that arent rape money seem to be in short supply however......any suggestions would be greatly appreciated