The trackcar is dead! Long live the trackcar!

Nice work Ben! I think I should take it back when I thought you where too lazy to fit the coilovers. Your car is coming on great������! Look into an LSD with a 3.9 or 4.08 final drive since you are staying NA. The LSD is a must. I'll try and get in a trackday or do the Ring with you next summer������

Sorry hijack

Bennet -

Would you recommend 3.9 on my supercharged 50 ?

Hi dudeðŸ‘,

It's been much talked about especially in the states and the opinions are divided. I've personally talked to someone with 3.9 and TT and he loves it but had to improve rear traction. The useless 1st gear is not an issue and so is the slight consumption issue if you are already FI.

Frankly IMHO if you wanted to do the final drive I wouldn't go past 3.9 and that assuming you are going to run wider sticker tyres at the rear and LSD. A racelogic would be a good investment to negate traction issues on hard launches. The 3.7 will be a good option for std 400whp and road tyres.

It will only be worthwhile to cover the labour cost if doing LSD same time.

I will be going for 3.9 with RL. I already have more traction than I can shake a stick at due to my SPL setup (which you can dial anti squat geometry and roll center) got LSD and using wider R888. i'll get racelogic at some point to be able to adjust things depending on conditions.

Hope that helps or pm if you have other thoughts.

• Like 2

Fantastic service from TarmacSportz on the Nismo lip! Arrived quickly and well packaged!

23025773290_b0c684c5b3_b.jpgNew Nismo lip by ben taylor, on Flickr

Now i Can start making a front splitter, taking inspiration from a Canadian Time Attack 'Michael Gardner'. :D

22693514764_2367aab79c_b.jpg2015-11-26_11-50-55 by ben taylor, on Flickr

My Circuit Sports droplinks are also in the country already and Ive paid the customs charges so should have them fitted soon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Happy Xmas and New Year everyone!!!

A few updates have been happening over the Xmas period which I like to call 'Operation Grip'

Firstly the adjustable drop links arrived :D

22844699453_ea227faed7_b.jpgAdjustable drop links by ben taylor, on Flickr

23337098980_a2f385dd72_b.jpgDroplinks by ben taylor, on Flickr

Only thing Im not too happy about is the angle of the front droplink, Im hoping this improves when the car is back on the floor.....

I am on with designing a new bottom arm, so I can rectify that when I do those mods.

23004612834_e7566b6199_b.jpgDroplinks by ben taylor, on Flickr

And the biggest part of operation grip is this

23918430112_f8c18f4cb4_b.jpgSplitter by ben taylor, on Flickr

23918430282_6f6ce7d812_b.jpgSplitter by ben taylor, on Flickr

Still not finished as I need the front adjuster to arrive in the post, and Ive left it big to allow from damage to the edges whilst its on and off so much.

No pics yet but Im also on with building a rear GT wing. Off the shelf ones are ridiculously expensive so again Im designing/building my own using a proper aerospace aerofoil. It will be a 2D wing, but as this is what a LOT of professional race teams use I dont think it will be an issue that it isnt 3D. The people making the core have the aerofoil I want and the dimensions, Im just waiting on the holiday season ending so they get on with it lol

Whilst making the splitter I also noticed my oil cooler core was not fully in front of the bumper opening. half of it was higher reducing its effectiveness, So i made a few spacers for the bracket and dropped the core down.

23241904384_ed03eb2e8e_b.jpgOil cooler by ben taylor, on Flickr

23787577781_43e0b1bff3_b.jpgOil cooler by ben taylor, on Flickr

hopefully some more updates soon :)

• Like 2

Making steady progress with the splitter! :D

24145025562_579b27ca6c_b.jpgSplitter by ben taylor, on Flickr

24226979716_59c7b1813d_b.jpgSplitter by ben taylor, on Flickr

Just the air dam and side fences to sort now and its done! Whilst in behind the bumper Ive also removed the headlight washer bottle and lines, just have to work out how they come out the bumper and can blank those off.

Hopefully soon some wing updates with pics but the core is currently being cut. Gone with the same aerofoil as the 997 GT Cup racers, Its going to be BIG though, 70inches with a 12inch chord :D

• Like 1

There is :)

The idea is to allow a smooth path under the car so the air travels as quickly as possible, fast air is lower pressure than slow air.

On top of that you trap air ontop of the splitter creating a high pressure zone, this pressure difference between the topside and underside of the splitter creates downforce. :)

Simon Mcbeath suggested in his book 100mm in front of the bumper works well, past that and it starts reducing rear downforce and you need rear aero to counter it.

I am planning to go bigger but have gone for this to test it all and also to test it with the wing and see if i have spare capacity in the wing to go for a bigger splitter :)

An airdam between the bunper lip and splitter just stops the air going between the two and reducing the pressure. Side fences increase the effectiveness of the splittef in the same way end plates on a spoiler do :)

• Like 2

Ah sorry dude, didnt mean to teach you how to suck eggs :)

I think bigger is better (looking at the japanese and world time attack cars) but as i say, simom Mcbeath said past 100mm and you need rear stuff as well.

I know the amwrican guys whove done this sort of thing started struggling with bottoming out due to the downforce overcoming thwir spring rate too much. Sasha Anis is on 20/17kg springs!

• 2 weeks later...

Few more updates :)

Got some little tabs welded to the back of the z speed undertray to support the back and keep it all at the same level, this way the undertray actually serves as a functional part of the splitter :)

24444594851_a4712844f3_b.jpg20160118_173250 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Also work has started on my rear wing, I decided that most wing companies are charging a fortune for a relatively simple item, APR are £1400......

I selected the same aerofoil as used on the 997 GT Cup racers and rang a guy I know of who cuts wing cores for race teams. Told him my dimensions, paid a measly £40 and this appeared in the post.

24526944675_edefae4895_b.jpg20160119_150125 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Its pretty big....

24159183239_8ed81e736d_b.jpg20160119_150521 by ben taylor, on Flickr

24526929235_d2709f6d4b_b.jpg20160119_150541 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Just waiting on a quote to have it wrapped in carbon/kevlar, if thats too much I will get a local fibreglass guy to do it. Theres no 'need' for it to be carbon/kevlar but it looks cooler ;) Working on a design for the feet/legs at the minute but found a company that sell the feet for $60......

You can see how, bearing in mind the costs so far, the APR wing is actual rape money. And the aerofoil is straight from the porsche racing teams so its not like it wont work ;)

Also Ive started work on some custom lower arms. The Z lower arm's a bit @*!# to be honest. Rubber bushes everywhere and an offset ARB mount means that when the arm tries to move against the ARB it will actually twist round it first, thus reducing the effectiveness of the ARB, this problem gets worse with uprated ARB's and causes the inner bush to fail quicker. Ive read of race teams that have had the ARB mount snap off as well!!

So we are welding on an extra support for the ARB droplink, putting it in 'double shear' and also moving the droplink to a more central location on the arm, this will stop the twisting effect, to further help this we are changing the shock mount for a solid bush, not a spherical bearing as this still allows the twisting action of the arm in the same way as the rubber bush. All this will force the arm to move up and down a single plane and greatly improve the effectiveness of it all.

As an add on to this we have also chopped off the rubber inner bush and are welding on a thread block to have a screw in rose joint. This removes another sloppy rubber bush and allows me to alter the camber from the bottom, saving the cost of upper camber arms. In the future we plan to re-drill the inner bush mount higher to correct some roll centre.

24500737106_c347a05dc6_b.jpgIMG_20160120_122923 by ben taylor, on Flickr

24262291720_4f64b79abe_b.jpgIMG_20160122_140934 by ben taylor, on Flickr

edit: excuse the mess outside the house, we are in the middle of moving house and renovating this one for sale lol

Edited by fake ben taylor
  • Like 1

Cheers dude :)

Been reading your thread, I think we may have met at TOTB? I used to be a regular there with the SXOC boys and my grey S13 won the hadling class a few years ago :)

Ah ok mate, Ive been TOTB every year for ages. You fancy running the zed this year with me??

I havent but being a 2d wing it will need to be high to get clean airflow. DJ engineering have theirs on z's at the same height as the roof so i was going to aim for that

That probably more to do with the regs than being performance related.

I've been chatting to Simon McBeath as I'm thinking of getting a DJ Eng wing - you get "free" advise on aero setup when you buy, so I'll let you know what he suggests.

Edited by Jez @ H-Dev
  • Like 2