Wheel Size Change

SiriusProjects

Hi all,

I'm sure I saw a post on this, but can't seem to find it, so apologies for asking again.

Can someone tell me what the issues are when putting larger alloys on the zed with lower profile tyres? I'm currently running stock 18" wheels on my GT4, but was thinking of going to 19's with a lower profile tyre. I know this can have an affect on the TCS, etc so just want a reminder of the do's and don'ts.

Thanks.

Thanks for the info ATTAK Z.

I've just been doing some calculations and came up with the following. This is based on going from 18" alloys to 19" alloys on the rears as an example.

Rolling Radius for current rears (245/45/18) = 13.34055 Inches

Rolling Radius for new rears (265/35/19) = 13.15158 Inches

Percentage Difference: 1.416 %

I did find though that increasing the new tyre width to 275 would reduce the difference to 0.383%. But then I don't know if that will affect the balance drastically. My current wheels are 225's at the front and 245's at the rear, a difference of 20mm. So I'm wondering if keeping the difference to 20mm between the front and rears will help maintain the proper balance. 265's on the rear and 245's on the front for example.

Plenty of people running 275 & 245 combo with no issues.

In reality what Ekona says is true (read cant be bothered to discuss) and you would only likely be able to tell the fractional differences mentioned if you track the car seriously :)

The only point worth note imho is ride quality because of the lower profile, will just feel a little firmer but again, marginal and you may prefer it like that :)

You can tell the differences very easily on the road too, if you're remotely into your driving as opposed to pooling to the shops.

That doesn't make the change the wrong thing to do, as 19" wheels do look much better on the car, it's just making sure you're happy with the compromise.

Worth remembering that 19" tyres are significantly more than 18" ones too, if you're a bit heavy on them ;)

275/35/19 & 245/35/19 are the standard size of tyres for the 19" optional extra nismo LMGT4 alloys from factory on the 350z I'm not sure on offsets and widths of those wheels though. Ive only ever had these so can't comment on the handling differences, but imo I do think 19's look better on the zed, one of the reasons I was drawn to my car.

Edited by SHEZZA

I am running 19" Rota's with 275/35/19 rear and 245/40/19 front running tien springs, no issues at all over the standard setup, it does feel a little more firm but this helps to give a more planted feeling.

For me the move to 19" wheels is an improvement not a compromise for an improved aesthetic effect.

All IMHO.

Jonny :)

D58B3059-EE5C-4FB4-8043-636BE8951246_zpszdxlzqbb.jpg

I do like the performance of my zed, but on balance I personally prefer spending money on the styling. From what you guys have said though, the change to 19's wouldn't really have much of an impact anyway and I have to admit, I would like to go down that route. Couple of queries though out of interest.

1. Will I need to roll the arches or anything or will 19" 275's and 245's fit without any modifications needed.

2. I do also currently have wheel spacers fitted so that my current OEM 18" wheels sit flush with the arches. Do you think I will be able to lose these as I am increasing the wheel and tyre sizes?

Thanks.

1 No if you get the right offsets and widths, around et20 front and back

2 Yes

There is a sticky top the page where members have added their wheel sizes, offsets, suspension mods and whether they have to roll the arches, have a read :)