Gearbox oil change

Richesio

Hello Abbey Motorsport,

I'm hoping you can help.

Getting into second gear on my '05 350z is a little tricky.

It's a very minor issue and I can still select the gear okay. I even had it looked at by Nissan (before I knew you guys existed!) and they said it was fine, but I've also read lots of posts on here about it being a common issue.

I was wondering if a gearbox oil change (potentially with Molyslip added) would help?

What's your opinion?

I'm in Reigate, so would like to bring it over to you guys to have this done (if you think it will help).

Also, potentially looking at a few modding bits in the future. Maybe an engine remap to increase the power in 1st and 2nd year.

Thanks!

Edited by Richesio

I had issues in the past with:

1-2

6-5

Improvements I made:

Nissan gearbox oil

Transmission mount (I opted for a polyurethane one - too harsh probably for a daily driver, Hardrace make a decent rubber one). The OEM one is crap (imho), gives changes sloppy feeling and grinding slightly in my case. Note - it may transmit a bit of extra vibration into the cabin, my one does but it's a different material, best to look up some reviews of this.

No problems now that it's out.

OEM = pap

134Z01001_transmission_mount_insulator_AT_b.jpg

Hardrace rubber one - for example:

hardrace-350z-harden-transmission-mount-6568r-1024x768.jpg

Edited by RobPhoboS
  • Like 1

Just to add to what Rob said Rich, ....when I first got my 350 I had a few "minor" issues with going from 1st to 2nd gear and 5th to 6th gear. I took it to another trader on here (because they are closer to me than Abbey) to have my gearbox oil changed & Molyslip added at the same time.

Instant improvement over what it used to be like and worth every penny. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Hi, yes we can sort a oil change no problem. We use Millers oil which is very good.

We are not lovers of moly slip as the synchro's use friction to work properly if you add the moly slip this can undermine the works of the synchro.

Feel free to give us a ring @ Abbey to discuss further.

Number below

Thanks

Hi, yes we can sort a oil change no problem. We use Millers oil which is very good.

We are not lovers of moly slip as the synchro's use friction to work properly if you add the moly slip this can undermine the works of the synchro.

Feel free to give us a ring @ Abbey to discuss further.

Number below

Thanks

As someone who will be changing all my oils myself in the next few weeks this is interesting as there have been some positive comments within this forum regarding the use of Moly.

I don't have any gear change issues so would I be better simply swapping the gearbox oil leaving Moly out but if an issue arises consider moly, seems more of a reactive process than preventative though.