Ebay Short Shifter kit - review

RobPhoboS

Scroll down to post #14 : http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/97306-ebay-short-shifter-kit-review/#entry1692884

I don't recommend this cheapy one but definitely recommend the Torque Solution, single piece.

----------------------

Hey guys, so a few weeks ago I decided I wanted a short shifter after driving a friends beautiful NSX.

Not that I think the stock shifter is a long throw but I prefer the feel of less travel, so lets see what a cheap kit is like to test the waters.

So I chose one from an ebay shop, around £28 and it looks like a direct copy of the B&M/Fidanza/SpecD but of course at a price you can try, bin it if it sucks/falls apart.

Several weeks on, I'm pleased to say I'm genuinely happy with it.

I also have the Torque Solutions transmission mount, as well as a Hosetechnik braided clutch line (no vague shifts or feeling of grinding or reluctance in any gears now).

The transmission mount in this particular flavour WILL give extra vibration, transmission grumble in the cabin. I believe hardrace make a decent rubber one, which Jez looks like he can supply at H-dev :thumbs:

Lastly I also have the Blox Type-R Style knob on it as well (450g !!! it's a beast).

You can follow several different instructions:

http://site.specdtun...hortShifter.pdf

(funny intro in vid :lol: )

However - I strongly advise to REUSE the OEM mounting plate on top of it (this is why you get the longer bolts - which I may add, sling a washer or two underneath for strengthening).

Once the OEM guiding plate is on top, don't tighten the 3 bolts up, just keep them loose enough so you can move the guide plate around.

Don't over tighten the gear linkage from underneath the car 13nm.

Extra tips: (nicked from US forum)

1) Move the shifter into the 6th gear position, and make the notch sticking out of the shifter level with the shifter plate "guide" by slightly pushing down on the shifter.

Move the shifter plate accordingly to make sure the "guide" on the plate is touching the shifter.

Once that is done, tighten the bolt on the rear right of the plate (enough to keep it in place).

2) Now move the shifter into the 5th gear position and align the shifter notch with the plate.

When it is aligned and touching,tighten the bolt at the front of the guide plate (closest to the engine).

**side note**

The reason the shifter notch has to touch the side of the plate is so that it guides the shifter into the 6th gear from fifth.

Also when you push down to go into reverse the notch goes underneath the plate to make it go and hold in reverse gear.

Once there is the correct alignment the other gears are in synchronization as well.

3) Tighten the left bolt now, torque them all down to 8-10nm.

After you have tightened them all down try going through all of the gears and see if it feels right.

Make sure when your going from 5th to 6th the shifter notch is touching and going along the plate guide for the proper alignment of all the gears. You'll feel it if it's not quite right.

Now I do have 1 minor gripe with the kit.

You may need to file off a little bit of the largest part of the shifter in the bottom right as it may catch the OEM plate a little bit when shifting into reverse.

We aren't talking about needing to dremel it, just a little shaving.

p.s

Because it's from ebay - the world WILL explode because you've put it on your car.

Edited by RobPhoboS
  • Like 3

Feels great to me, far shorter throw (apx 40%) and it's only slotting into reverse which has a little resistance (literally 1-2mm need filing off). I'll post up a few pics on the weekend.

I prefer it over the OEM throw for sure. (I've kept it as a -just-in-case item though)

If timing works out, I'm often in Farnham/Guildford so you're welcome to 'cop a feel' ;)

Edited by RobPhoboS

Thanks to Bradley for lending me the space to do it at his garage.

Definitely !

:thumbs:

Alan - cheers, there's a bunch of stuff I've not listed that I've done but one day I'll get around to a 'build' thread.

Edited by RobPhoboS
  • Like 1

Feels great to me, far shorter throw (apx 40%) and it's only slotting into reverse which has a little resistance (literally 1-2mm need filing off). I'll post up a few pics on the weekend.

I prefer it over the OEM throw for sure. (I've kept it as a -just-in-case item though)

If timing works out, I'm often in Farnham/Guildford so you're welcome to 'cop a feel' ;)

Wilkl take you up on that sometime - live in Redhill so not too far away. Cheers.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Right, I thought I'd update this thread as I received a Torque Solutions single piece shifter on Friday :)

20170106_124425_zpsnqyzr0qt.jpg

Now the reason I decided to buy it, is that I know a few of the cheapy Chinese ones have snapped in half (Tim on track!).

The way I shift doesn't really lend to any stress on the thing BUT the one thing I didn't like is that it's 2 pieces.

I could always feel some play between the 2 parts, one angled at certain position - the top part would always go a bit further.

Chinese on the left - Torque Solutions on the right

20170107_122051_zps9yqtqc92.jpg

You must remove the nylon/white cup thing from the OEM shifter, pop it on the new one.

OEM on the right

20170107_171427_zpsmyxhmaaj.jpg

Here's a good channel, and an install video if that's of any use:

So, after a very simple installation what I wasn't expecting was any difference in shifting, and this is why I'm posting this.

Holy freaking cow - it feels absolutely fantastic !

Completely solid, very mechanical and tons better than OEM or the 2 piece (crud).

I really can't believe how different and positive it is.

I have done other things to the drive-line (?) which made massive improvements to the shifting anyway but added altogether I love it !

:yahoo:

(bought on Ebay from a US trader awd_motorsports)

• Like 1