Spark plug help

JoKeR

I've only taken 3 out so far but I'm unsure if they need changing or not. My valve cover is leaking oil and I'm in the process of changing both covers just awaiting spare parts.

When I took the 3 out of the passengers side (2,4 & 6) maybe; a couple had a fair bit of oil on due to the leak so I thought they where going to be fairly worn in anyway.

Here's the 3

0f6c3c4d64207ab96957047f781cc492.jpg

a40a944cd81f27115b370fd3f08d4fc3.jpg

7eb6bd7baf97676349d3ff356f852352.jpg

They were changed 9 months ago roughly and the car is a 2003 350z with 101k on the clock. It's a daily drive too.

I have the Haynes manual but still unsure of which one it looks like. Short on money so would rather not buy more if I don't 'need' to.

So,

Do they look like they need changing?

If some need changing and others don't, can I change just a few or should they be done all at the same time?

Thanks

That's what she 'Zed' :-/

Personally I'd replace all the spark plugs at the same time regardless of whether some look ok or not.

It's not a massive outlay really imo (£50-£60) although I totally understand why you'd want to save a little if they've not long been changed. ;)

Personally I'd replace all the spark plugs at the same time regardless of whether some look ok or not.

It's not a massive outlay really imo (£50-£60) although I totally understand why you'd want to save a little if they've not long been changed. ;)

I know what your saying mate but at the moment £60 is a lot lol. Would you say they are due a change about now then mate. Or in like a month or two time?

Thanks mate

I've been shopping around online I think I might just change them to be on the safe side as they are a pain to do unless you have everything stripped like I do at the moment.

On that note anyone got any other recommendations for plugs and where from. I've been looking online but there are soooo many options.

Sorry for all the questions

Cheers mate.

Next lol

d89f007428ba55e45b7b815998f11e23.jpg

a20698e00bde97f6b37e1c4fa65c10f7.jpg

bf9f47af75ba4a7a2fe26007fc1d20b0.jpg

28c12df021725ed804d2396bce70b23d.jpg

671b0cfc9db11504b75979148c970fcd.jpg

Ok so this is where I'm at now. Do I need to cover this over at all as the valve cover won't be on for another few days?

Also don't rip into me as everyone has to learn before they know about something;

There is a lot of oil inside the valve cover - normal yes??

Anyone done this before and know of any other pipes that can be removed for ease of access when installing the new one without any liquids coming out all over the place? This pipe is in the way...

ce763ddd7bdfb95d8c463dad8c152e2f.jpg

Thanks again all, been very helpful!

First off plugs can be any of the following depending on how much you want to pay and how often you want to change, NGK LFR5AIX-11 (iridium) or PLFR5A-11 (platinum)

or if your not worried about changing them more frequently just LFR5A-11

Definitely cover the heads, you really don't want dust, grit etc going into the oil and getting carried around the engine, the pipe in the last pic is to the heater so full of coolant.

First off plugs can be any of the following depending on how much you want to pay and how often you want to change, NGK LFR5AIX-11 (iridium) or PLFR5A-11 (platinum)

or if your not worried about changing them more frequently just LFR5A-11

Definitely cover the heads, you really don't want dust, grit etc going into the oil and getting carried around the engine, the pipe in the last pic is to the heater so full of coolant.

Ok thanks mate guess I probably won't want to disconnect that one then lol off to halfords in a bit to have a look at some prices as its local don't hate me haha

Covered it over now.

Thanks

If you bought the carb cleaner you can clean up the threads on the plugs and the edges of the metal surfaces without fear of an unwanted chemical in the engine. Spray it onto a microfiber cloth, wipe it all down as carefully as possible.

If you saw my rocker cover thread, I just used cling film over any openings.

Thanks mate I showed them to a garage and they said replace straight away (they knew I wasn't buying from them so it wasn't to make money). I went to halfords and they typed in my Reg an recommended NKG but were expensive and not in stock. So I bought Bosch ones as they were £12 for a pack of 4 with my trade card. Only come in fours! Had to buy 2 packs!

Cost me £25 roughly for all 8 I'll post a pic of the ones I bought in a moment.

92e5c87d6713bfad0b8986aa98988218.jpg

281faedd9b3f04896290acbe4758122e.jpg

f4d32af832bd802cafc5f9858f99a26b.jpg

They have 4 electrodes and was told these were better than the ones I pulled out and also showed to him. They are heat range 6 like the old ones. I'm running rich but was told remap will sort this out. Would it?

Go on then, tell me how bad these plugs are and how I overpaid for them lol

p.s. They were originally £25 roughly for a pack of 4 so 50% saved! ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Edited by JoKeR

Haha fair one. I just thought I was going to get ripped a new one lol I'll let you all know how they are once they're in

Edited by JoKeR
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

If anyone is still on this and interested these plug are fine. Is it possible that they can can make the car more responsive? My old plugs where covered in oil so new ones could only have done some good.

But at the moment nearly 2 months in and no dramas at all with the plugs!

• Like 1