Just bought a 350Z! Does it sound OK?

shooze

Hey guys!

Just bought myself a 350Z roadster and drove it back from Falmouth to Bristol yesterday!

On getting back there is a slight tap/knock on tickover. I can't say I noticed it when I first picked it up and it can't be heard outside the car, only whist sat in the cabin!

I've checked the oil and the dipstick is a nightmare! So hard to get a level! I stuck a litre in and from what I can see its between L and H.

I've read about the fuel dampers and this does have the same kinda symptoms but I had an S2000 where the bottom end went and I'm paranoid about stuff like that now!

What do you guys think?

https://youtu.be/7NQHUiHjFeY

I can't hear anything on that video. It must be easier to hear under the bonnet than in the cabin, surely?

Please don't just put oil in unless you're 100% sure of the level, I know it's hard on the Zed but you'll do just as much damage with too much oil as too little. If you want to be 100% sure, drop the oil into a container then refill with the same.

Private sale, I take it?

Thanks for the replies guys!

The oil level was definitely low when I checked yesterday. I've put about 1.5L in and its now sitting just below Max.

That light donk donk is what I mean guys. Its only very light but its defo more audible inside the car than out for some reason. I'll try and get it on a ramp and have a listen underneath asap.

Its comforting that you guys do have a similar click and have had for years, and that so many of you are here to help!

Loving the car so far! I'm also half way through my 260Z restoration! I'll post some photos!

I have this noise as well. It is a light knock, normally after a longer journey (20 mins or so) although not always. There is no real rhythm to it, just more of a crackly knock but is is very quiet, once you pull up without the radio on you can hear it. I've had a search around and from what I found people where blaming the Dual Mass Flywheel for being the cause of this noise, I've had mine two weeks now and the noise is there sometimes but not always.

Interested to hear what everyone else has to say though!

Edit# Forgot to say, I can also feel a it through the clutch whenever the knock happens, usually if I rest my foot on the clutch (not depressed).

Edited by Hig