I had nothing to do to day!!!!!

djtimo

Hi guys just tought id share my day with you lot!

Ive had a typhoon intake fitted now for about 2 months and it sounds and performs great! One of the main disadvantages with this system is the fact it uses alu for the intake tube and folded steel for the airbox.

I have read a few threads on the subject of heat soak and how it affects you car.

From the threads i have read it proves that when the car is moving and load is on the engine, the time that the air is in contact with the "hot" intake track it has no ill effect on the cars performance.

This is not true when the car is stopped or moving slowly through traffic.

Now comes the "i have nothing to do to day syndrome" !!

I have seen the thermal tape and reflectors use in motorsport and just thought why not!

45mins later and back from demon tweeks i have 30feet of DEI thermal reflection tape! Upto 1500deg C radiant heat resistant and thin to rap small components.

I did the hole intake tube and the air box.

The air box pics below.

(I still need to take intake tube pic so ill up date this when i have them.)

DSCF0816.jpg

DSCF0815.jpg

DSCF0818.jpg

Any comments guys and gals!

From my calculations this should give me AT LEAST 75bhp more @ 22,000 rpm! hahaha.

Thanks Tim

can I have my crayola scissors back and my felt tip pens now... also does your missus know the fairy liquid bottle has gone missing, I saw you working on a spaceship bottle in the back of one of those pics :lol: Way too much blue peter bro :lol:

Seriously, nice job dude, have you fitted it yet? You should notice a better pull as you say you are deflecting the heat from the engine from being soaked in the induction. :thumbs: 75bhp more like 100bhp extra, you gotta try and think of these things more optimistic :lol:;)

All you have to do now is do a couple more, put a fancy name on it and sell it for 100 quid, thats how envy got started wasnt it? :blush: just messing :lol:

I assume this effect (heat soak) affects the JWT Popcharger too?

Will affect them all if allowed too, the pop charger does have a heat sheild so i would assume that the developers will have taken this into account. :thumbs: I would have thought the tape will help a bit but the effect will be marginal.

Been nagging people about this for years.

The Z is ok though because of the self levelling ECU but will get hot sitting in traffic all day. Nothing to worry about.

Seen Skylines running horrible mix as a result but run perfect after restoring stock air box. You can see some amazing modified Skylines in Best Motoring videos that run on stock air boxes.

Sounds cool though.

The ECU will ajust BUT it will not "learn" fast enough to tune out heat soak which can happen when ever the car is stopped.

Can you explain to me how heat soak affects the performance of a car when it is stationary? :blush:

And as for it feeling faster on a colder night, I agree Sinbad but think it is more response than it is out and out pace. :)

Heat soak is when the heat from the engine heats up the intake set up. This means the air temp is raised and there for less dense.

When the ECU detects the less dense warm air then retards the timing to stop the engine detonating. (Knocking).

This effect wares off once the cold outside air is flowing over the engine and the engine is under load and pulling more air in!

Metal air boxes get hot and act like heaters for the air when the car is not moving.

i think he was stating that you cant increase performance when ur actually stationary becuase your not moving...

But when you do decide to move then the air going into the plenum must be warmer as the airbox will be acting like a radiator? like i said before, i think it will make marginal differences when the ecu adjusts but it won't harm doing what you've done. Looks good :thumbs:

i think he was stating that you cant increase performance when ur actually stationary becuase your not moving...

But when you do decide to move then the air going into the plenum must be warmer as the airbox will be acting like a radiator? like i said before, i think it will make marginal differences when the ecu adjusts but it won't harm doing what you've done. Looks good :thumbs:

Exactly!

OK, so given the proximity of the standard air box vs any induction kit to the engine, can it now be explained how anyone thinks it is any different??

Since the ECU adjusts, it will kick out the same, therefore negating either any benefit from an induction kit, and any reduction 'heat soak' may cause. :)

BTW, this isn't to take anything away from the work done timo, looks good! :thumbs:

Cant beat a bit of DIY guys!:teeth::teeth:

The intake tube was a bitch to rap due to the tape having no give or strech in it.

I think the pop charger will suffer heat soak badly due to the very poor heat shield design.

Tim.

Hi Tim,

This is the sig gustapo. We at the sig gustapo like to go round annoying people who have spent hours constructing there own sigs. As I'm sure you are aware you have contravened ammendment 3.4.2.1.4 which states that:

Sigs must be less than 500 X 100

We have no reasonable explanation for this apart from we are cranky old men and just don't not like big sigs. We did try to say that it took up bandwidth but that was exposed as a sham as most people host their own sigs elsewhere.

So, to conclude, reduce the size of your sig or be banned instantly. We know its pointless but we started this ages ago and have to stick to it now.

Yours truely

Chief of Sig Gustapo.

:teeth:

The ECU cant tune out heat soak. i.e if you reuduce the cars horsepower by whatever means i.e less air/ less fueling etc, the ECU cant compensate & find extra power. So if youv intorduced extra heat soak or some other power loss then you will see a drop in horsepower.

On the other hand if you try to increase power in terms of air/fuel (something that the ECU can have some control over) it seems the ECU has some kind of parameters that it almost sets a maximum of some sort. Now Im not 100% on how this works & Im not sure if anyone is.

So I think when they say self leveling they mean self leveling down, but not self leveling up.

Rickya that what i have thought. The ECU cant advance the timing to get the power back due to the less dense hot air.

If this was making more power than standard then the ECU can trim the timing and fuel to get back to ware you started!

Tim.

The ECU cant tune out heat soak. i.e if you reuduce the cars horsepower by whatever means i.e less air/ less fueling etc, the ECU cant compensate & find extra power. So if youv intorduced extra heat soak or some other power loss then you will see a drop in horsepower.

On the other hand if you try to increase power in terms of air/fuel (something that the ECU can have some control over) it seems the ECU has some kind of parameters that it almost sets a maximum of some sort. Now Im not 100% on how this works & Im not sure if anyone is.

So I think when they say self leveling they mean self leveling down, but not self leveling up.

Don't worry about it! :doh::)