Oil in spark plug chamber and white smoke!

thedon

Looking for some advice please..

Just changed all spark plugs, coil packs and cleaned the throttle body in an attempt to cure a stutter on initial throttle.

The spark plug chamber of cylinder 6 was oily - I noticed it on the socket before the old plug came out, and the screw of the plug itself was oily.

I dithered for 5 mins while I debated whether to fit the new plug, which I did, so almost certainly some oil dripped into the cylinder.

When I started the engine there was lots of white smoke which lessened after a few seconds but there was still white smoke for a further 10 seconds of idle running before I switched the engine off.

I found this archived thread about it likely being the cam cover gasket so I have a few questions in my mind...

1. Does it being the cam cover gasket match the symptoms (oily chamber and smoke)?
  2. Would some throttle body cleaner cause/contribute to white smoke?
  3. Do I need a new cam cover or just the gasket?
  4. Is it OK to drive in the meantime?

Many thanks,

Howard

Edited by thedon

1. Yes

2. Possibly, but if it's cleared now I wouldn't worry about it.

3. You need both. the gasket has nothing to do with the oil in the plug chamber, but you'll need a new one to go with your new cam cover.

4. it's fine to drive. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Brilliant - thanks for the replies, much appreciated. :D

Octet, that certainly looks interesting. I have an offer of a used cam cover so I'm torn between a known good but used, versus potentially a longer-term fix. Food for thought...

Cheers,

Howard

Had the same problem before Howard. Personally I'd get a new rocker cover & gasket if I was you or possibly try Octets cheaper fix solution. ;)

I opted for new rocker covers & gaskets when I did mine and the car now has a steady oil level too unlike before when I regularly had to top it up.

I got mine from Clark Motorsport: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/80780-new-nissan-cam-cover-assembly-vq35de/

Good luck. :thumbs:

• Like 1