HELP! oil in spark plug chamber!

evilscorp

Just changing my spark plugs number 2 and 4 on the right hand bank are fine but the 6 plug has oil inside the hole where the spark plug! mabe an inch deep down inside have tryed using kitchen towel to remove some but should i go ahead and change the plug if there is still some left in it? seems to be coming from the cam cover area where there is a small 2mm gap between it and the plug hole why is this? should i be worried and not drive the car???

Help! lol :scare:

No its coming from the top of the cylinder where the plugs sits at the bottom will change it but now im having issues with space on the other bank cant undo a bolt due to poor tools and wires in the way Grrr! Also there is a return pipe from the plenum to the cam cover at the front which is in the way? is it ok to disconnect this to gain access?

No its coming from the top of the cylinder where the plugs sits at the bottom will change it but now im having issues with space on the other bank cant undo a bolt due to poor tools and wires in the way Grrr! Also there is a return pipe from the plenum to the cam cover at the front which is in the way? is it ok to disconnect this to gain access?

I changed my plugs earlier in the week. You just have to loosen a couple of wiring harness bolts to help with the access, the pcv hose i did not remove. Once you have undone the coil bolt it will come out you just have to wiggle it through by turning it and by bending the hose and cables slightly out of the way. Just be patient and persevere they do come out. ;)

For oil to be in the plug well, it'll be your cam cover gasket.

I had this same problem of oil filling the chamber 3 weeks ago and it was my spark plug seals but unfortunately u have to by hole new covers as they are laminated in to the cover . :pmzmanalex: he sorted me out ( the man's a legend )

Is your's only leaking at certain chamber ( mainly further to the back) or can you see a crack in the cover ?

As Michael has said :thumbs:

Just fit your new plugs and worry about the oil issue later. :thumbs:

The oil seal that has failed is part of the cam cover so to rectify this issue you will have to replace the cam cover as Michael did. :thumbs:

In stock and good to go same /next day,

No urgency so no drama.

Alex. :)

Changed all plugs bar the one at the back which has oil in it, the plug is very tight, thought it may have been over tightend by the last person who serviced it but will try 2moz with a better tool to free it. as for the oil i can see a lip of it at the top where the ignition coil seats to the cam cover did not look/see any cracks will investigate 2moz, will probably take the car to mechanic m8 or I need a p3(minus plugs and oil which i will do this weekend) ZMANALEX can you pm me a price for the cam cover and I may aswell kill 2birds wi one stone and fit a motordyne plenum spacer so can you pm a price for that too! :headhurt:

Changed all plugs bar the one at the back which has oil in it, the plug is very tight, thought it may have been over tightend by the last person who serviced it but will try 2moz with a better tool to free it. as for the oil i can see a lip of it at the top where the ignition coil seats to the cam cover did not look/see any cracks will investigate 2moz, will probably take the car to mechanic m8 or I need a p3(minus plugs and oil which i will do this weekend) ZMANALEX can you pm me a price for the cam cover and I may aswell kill 2birds wi one stone and fit a motordyne plenum spacer so can you pm a price for that too! :headhurt:

Pm on its way mate :thumbs:

If you take it to a garage to be done I payed £295 (including vat) for the labour for them to replaced covers and put a cosworth plenum & spacer on , it took 4 & a half hours for them to do it but they went used to working on the zed .

If your up for trying it your self it would save you the labour and Its not really hard just fiddly to do, the only reason I didn't try was I didn't have a sheltered area I could do it and the weather was crap. Not big deal tho can still drive it just keep an eye on oil levels

Cam covers from Nissan cost £270 per side and gaskets are £15 per side

so it's £570 not including vat

This is the price I received from ( benfield motors - Nissan)

Zmanalex wiped the floor with that price

Yeah just had the pm and was happy and surprised how good a price he quoted, I have a small garage(have to fold in my mirrors) but when reversed in and door open its ok to work in but dont have the best tools, need a torque wrench and some clamps for the hoses probably to tackle a job like this, Is there a workshop manual for sale anywhere as I will buy it just to see which jobs I can tackle.

Yeah just had the pm and was happy and surprised how good a price he quoted, I have a small garage(have to fold in my mirrors) but when reversed in and door open its ok to work in but dont have the best tools, need a torque wrench and some clamps for the hoses probably to tackle a job like this, Is there a workshop manual for sale anywhere as I will buy it just to see which jobs I can tackle.

No need to clamp any hoses mate ;)

You can download a CD Rom workshop manual on line for a few pounds or if you want a proper hard copy Haynes manual with circa 1000 pages and loads of picture illustrations then just let me know as I have them in stock :thumbs:

Regards,

Alex.

Just to confirm whats been said.

This seems to be a common issue, and easy to rectify with a replacement cam cover. I wonder if re seating the original one MIGHT help too, but as oil is not a conductor you wont have any issues either way. Personally I would be a bit careful about letting oil get into the cylinder..hydraulic lock and or damage to the cat. Good luck but dont worry about it I bet plenty of zeds are like it!

Gutted! managed to change the spark plug with the oil problem only to loose the bolt and washers that hold the ingnition coil down been underneith taped around and drove the car in and out the garage to try free it from its hiding place but no luck! Its a 6mm diameter thread and 21mm long with a 10mm head and 2 1mm washers on it where is the bust place to get some?(dealer?B&Q?ZMANALEX?)

Then to make me even more :rant: I was trying to change the oil jacked up one side put it on an axel stand then went to try the otherside to find my new sideskirt will not alow me to use the oem car jack! the skirt has a slight bent under lip which interfears could cut a square out and it would be fine but i would have to take it off the car, having such a bad weekend ive desided to leave it and take it to a garage as i will only make things worse with the way im going! would have been fine if it was the otherside as the sump plug is on that side so the sludge would collect at it. Doh!

That would be great, just asking my dad first if he has any bolts that fit the dimentions as he has a few jars of randoms. Tryed phoning a stealer but its sunday so parts depo and garage is closed will try get the car put in this week so I can confirm its just the cam cover which is the problem then the order for the items will be placed with you m8.

Any good garages in the glasgow area that have experience with 350's?