Spraying intercooler?

Bodyboarder81

Hi all , just wandered if it was ok to spray the intercooler ? It's silver at the moment but don't want it to stand out on the car once fitted , thinking of spraying the face of it black . Any reason I can't do this? And thinking of using high temp straight to metal spray paint ?

Thanks

from what ive read i think on hot days it would increase your intake temps at the start as it would be stationary and absorbing heat because its black, Not sure it would make much of a difference but with FI the lower the intake temp the better

But going from that vid it would look like you get worse heat soak with a silver one? As in when they just blew hot air through it ( no fan ) the difference between silver and black was quite a bit ........

Not a fan of those grills , sorry dude :(

But without it , on my darker car I'm pretty sure you will see the silver cooler .... My stillen oil cooler is black already .

:scare: Really?!!! :surrender:

Oh well guess you can't buy good taste. :lol::teeth:

Seriously though on a practical side they are great for protecting the coolers & also help stop you from getting loads of leaves & debris in there when it's winter time.

I'd do as Darryl said then and just paint half of it black (the part you can see from the front) ~ best of both worlds then. ;)

• Like 1

Using simple paint theoretically can reduce intercooler performance but if you use heat dispersant paint, it should improve it as its designed to be very thin and conductive or heat resistant

I used Eastwood black paint for radiators and had no issues with my SC setup. Also used it to touch up my oil cooler and paint my sc head unit black to match my powder-coated black intercooler pipe work.

http://www.frost.co.uk/eastwood-radiator-gloss-black-aerosol-340g.html

I painted mine black - did not get a noticeable difference on intake temps if they did go up it was less than 1 degree, I had to run water meth injection to keep the temps down as well so I think you will be fine.

I used the same paint as I did on the car (well the black bits anyway :lol: )