Warning light , is it just the ECU thingy???

P15UL T

Just had a new set of Kinetix hight flow cats fitted and i have noticed thew Engine Malfunction light is on ( the one like a little box with 2 T shapes coming off it )

is this anything to worry about or will the ecu sort itself out soon enough ?

also when the mechanic was fitting them he said the originals had a sort of brace that bolted between then and that the kinetix didnt have mounting points for it to go back on, has anyone else cames across this and found a solution to the bar or is it even needed ?

cheers again guy for all your help and knowledge :thumbs:

oh and by the way... they sound A-MAZING !!!!

Paul

Just had a new set of Kinetix hight flow cats fitted and i have noticed thew Engine Malfunction light is on ( the one like a little box with 2 T shapes coming off it )

is this anything to worry about or will the ecu sort itself out soon enough ?

also when the mechanic was fitting them he said the originals had a sort of brace that bolted between then and that the kinetix didnt have mounting points for it to go back on, has anyone else cames across this and found a solution to the bar or is it even needed ?

cheers again guy for all your help and knowledge :thumbs:

oh and by the way... they sound A-MAZING !!!!

Paul

Paul :thumbs:

First, fitting hiflows should NOT put the CEL light on, not unless a lambda probe has been damaged removing it, or one has just decided it's had enough, they are really tight to get out of the cats, and can be damaged if not extremely carefull when removing.

Secondly, the Kinetix cats are a lot lighter than the Nissan ones, and as such do not require the brace bar, just keep it in case you sell them in the future, and wish to revert to the originals.

And yes they do sound awesome, especially with an aftermarket zorst :teeth: enjoy Paul. ps, try an ECU reset :thumbs:

Ian SATS :teeth:

Hi, just de-catted mine and after a day the engine management light came on.

If i do the ECU reset procedure will it go off and stay off or just come back on again?

Is there any cheat / ecu upgrade etc to get the light to stay off?

Also took the mounting brace off, doesnt seem to cause any probs with it off!

Hi, just de-catted mine and after a day the engine management light came on.

If i do the ECU reset procedure will it go off and stay off or just come back on again?

Is there any cheat / ecu upgrade etc to get the light to stay off?

Also took the mounting brace off, doesnt seem to cause any probs with it off!

It will come back on after around 50miles.

You can buy non foulers for them from Envy or a trader on my350z.com - these are not guaranteed to clear the light though, even with them in I still got the CEL but it went away after i did an ECU reset with my Digimoto software.

The brace is not needed - mine is in the garage with my standard cats

Mine comes on and off, had a diognosis test and the readings of my cats were fine, friend took the light off then after a while came back on again, he said its nothing to worry about, said could try playing with the sensors, it just means the sensors recognise a different flow to what its usually use to and is program to show up as a warning I think. If a lambder probe is broken are these easy cheap to replace?

Been told if I drive the car hard all the time the light wouldnt come on :blush:

This seems to be coming up quite a lot now from people who have fitted high-flow cats and i am still sticking to my intitial thoughts as it does effect emissions and the 1st and 2nd sensor are not showing the correct readings, hence the engine light comes on as it thinks there is a fault. You need something to bypass the 2nd sensor and trick it to thinking its getting the right reading.

This seems to be coming up quite a lot now from people who have fitted high-flow cats and i am still sticking to my intitial thoughts as it does effect emissions and the 1st and 2nd sensor are not showing the correct readings, hence the engine light comes on as it thinks there is a fault. You need something to bypass the 2nd sensor and trick it to thinking its getting the right reading.

Thats what my mechanic said as the readings on the 2nd sensor was not showing correct reading.

Guest prescience

I agree, I think it will happen less often with hi-flos than with decats but it will still happen IMO when the second sensor detects an unusual flow.

The first sensor is not related since this is BEFORE the cat - its purpose is to provide fuel mixture feedback to the ECU (many times a second) so that fuel trims can be adjusted to keep the correct AFR ratio (nominally 14.7:1)

I agree, I think it will happen less often with hi-flos than with decats but it will still happen IMO when the second sensor detects an unusual flow.

The first sensor is not related since this is BEFORE the cat - its purpose is to provide fuel mixture feedback to the ECU (many times a second) so that fuel trims can be adjusted to keep the correct AFR ratio (nominally 14.7:1)

Thats the one, you seem to say it a lot better than me. I finally got something right though B)

Am i right in saying you need a MIL eliminator which is basically a transistor that sits on the second O2 sensor wire that causes the ECU to bypass that reading?

Guest prescience

Thats the one, you seem to say it a lot better than me. I finally got something right though B)

Am i right in saying you need a MIL eliminator which is basically a transistor that sits on the second O2 sensor wire that causes the ECU to bypass that reading?

If this is what you mean then yes

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Making_c ... simulators

there are other solutions as noted above :D

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Stop_CEL_With_Test_Pipes

I've never had an issue with my '03 Z. No lights with Random Technology high flows, and no lights when I gutted the high flows -- essentially they're now test pipes. Could it possibly be an issue in just the newer models?

Hmm be interesting to see, Pingu what year is yours if you dont mine me asking mine is 2005

Guest prescience
Is the idea of the later method just to move the sensors out of the flow of the exhaust gases?

Yes.

The O2 sim ensures the ecu gets a 'correct' reading but it is complex, the non-foulers is a cludge really :)

I've never had an issue with my '03 Z. No lights with Random Technology high flows, and no lights when I gutted the high flows -- essentially they're now test pipes. Could it possibly be an issue in just the newer models?

Mine is a 2003 & I had a CEL with test pipes even with the nonfoulers in

Hmm be interesting to see, Pingu what year is yours if you dont mine me asking mine is 2005