Water leak in boot

andy62

Hi, I'm new to this forum so please bare with me!

I was hoping for some advise on where I need to be looking or how to remove appropriate panels.

A couple of days ago I noticed a puddle of water where the spare tyre well is in the boot. The water is not on the carpet of the boot only the under area. I soaked all the water up to monitor it and today after heavy rain last night I have found more water within the area. I have took a photo of the area.

Any advise will be much appreciated!

post-25079-0-22369000-1427818945_thumb.jpg

I had the same problem when I first got my car and the problem was there is a small vent in the rear of each quarter panel. Take the foam out and have a look at them as one of the seals had failed. Zmanalex will be able to sort you out with one if this is the problem.

Thank you for the replies!

I'm going to tackle it this weekend but if I'm honest I dont even know how to remove the panels. Is it worth me purchasing a Haynes manual?

Like the idea of the dehumidifier bag once the problem has been found.

I only purchased the car last month and absolutely love it so this is heartbreaking to find water where it's not wanted lol!

I had exactly the same thing after I picked mine up in November. Not sure if this is necessary but I removed most of the plastic trim starting with the two either side of the grey z panel to get the polystyrene type tool holder and amp cover thing out the way. I recommend the use of some plastic trim removing tools, a little brute force at times and plenty swearing helped a lot. I did break one clip, but super glue sorted that a treat.

The vents are pretty cheap (£6 ish each), although I got them from the garage I bought the car as I noticed within a week. The seal that goes is a pretty sh1t material.

Don't spend money on Haynes, they are not that great. Try Google 350z service manual, there are pdf documents out there that you can download for free. I find it much better compared to Haynes.

Edit: Here's the link to download the OEM service manuals http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/350Z/coupe/2004_Coupe+Roadster/ You'll need to look at specific copy for what you need

Edited by veeg33
  • Like 1

Had great responses on this thank you all!

I have purchased a trim remover tool set to assist and I'm really eager now to get stuck in to working on it on Saturday.

With the help from all your experiences and advise I feel confident in tackling it now.

Unfortunately the dealer was quite a distance away so hoping it will be a cheap fix i would rather resolve it at home, travelling the distance was price I had to pay to purchase the perfect 350Z for me lol

I will be sure to update on how I get on Saturday.

Once again really appreciate all the responses guys

P.s. I'm from the Midlands

• Like 1

Hi all

So finally got round to looking at my water leak and you were right!

The problem was from the rear vent, the seal was completely broken.

051C583F-765E-468C-9F9C-E4C586DC162F_zps9u4jymzx.jpg

The other side was completely dry under the vent but the water was very visible on this one

23A776D6-F8D1-4E25-8331-7A1C6E585B9E_zps8c7ugrix.jpg

Tried ringing nissan but they are closed!

Also because the vent was Renault I rang them but from the part number they said it was a boot plug... Which I wasn't confident in telling them to order.

I also messaged the recommended member - Zmanalex

So hopefully I will be able to source a replacement soon.

Feel so relieved to have found the problem, couldn't have done it without the help of all you!

Thanks again

• Like 3