leaks

spaceinvader

hi all,

went to see a 350z i saw in autotrader (dealer).couldnt fault the car (apart from low coolant level, and a few minor stone chips etc) until i got to the back end, opened the boot to find a BIG pool of water where the spare tyre sits, it was clean and looked like it hadn't been there long.Also the plastic casing on the rear strut had been opened and not put back together properly. The guy insisted its had no accident damage and i couldn't spot any signs at all.all panels lined up ok, it hadn't been resprayed etc.The weird thing is the carpet in the boot was dry as a bone.The dealer said it was from the high pressure hose they used to wash the car but it still shouldn't leak should it? and y was the carpet dry?

is the 350 prone to leaking? cant find much about it on these forums!

karl

Thats a weird one! I beleive there are holes in the boot that lead directly to the outside and I seem to remember being told they are for when the airbags go off to let out the air pressure from getting to high. However, the holes I have seen are behind the rear speakers and not down in the well where the spare wheel is. I dont remember any holes being down there.

I'm sure someone more expereinced will chip in but you are right in being a bit weary of it. I would get the dealer to point out where they think the water has come in. The aforementioned holes would be damn hard to get water through unless they had the car up on the ramps to clean underneath! :headhurt:

cheers all, heres the problem this guy had:

(sounds like the same thing as the car im looking at!)

Found the leak. PaulW and RickB thanks for the help. I put a lot of talc down and the water was coming from passenger side. So i took all the trim panels out both sides to do comparisons. Found that the plug which holds the very top of the bumper into the car isnt sealed enough and is dripping water in. The water is right next to the bose amp and aerial etc!!!! Looks like its been doing it a while. In my opinion the car has had the rear bumper removed at some point and not been replaced properly. I will be taking it up with the garage i bought the car from to see what can be done.

thanks again for the help