Going for an MPG record....!

marzman

Hey folks...

I bought my first 350z last wednesday and managed to spend £140 on petrol by Monday, so this week im trying to see what the maximum distance i can get out of my tank is!

I do just over 60 miles a day to work and back, on a good mix of roads (30% town, 20% motorway, 50% country lanes).

I put £59 in it on Monday night, and the dte read 600kms. Now, i've been driving everywhere at about 2k revs... only going above 2 or 3 times.... (i've got a tiptronic so its quite easy). Im sticking to 60-65 on the motorway, and so far, i've driven 94 miles, and my petrol guage has gone down by just over 1/6th!!

The dte now reads 613kms... HA!

Now, obviously this is painful for me to do.... its like im teasing myself, as im normally a complete rally driver, but it'll make me feel better when i can tell people what mpg i can get!!

Anyway, i'll keep you posted on what i can get, and i hope you all feel sorry for me driving so slow!

I try to be light footed on the motorway, but thats only so I can let rip on the twisties! :drive1

Dont be mean to yourself, you have to let go now and again, just take it easy on the motorway and town and fly on the twisties, get a nice balance. Also try not to start/stop too much, momentum is the key to good MPG, and you can have fun in the twisties without burning *too* much fuel ;)

My Speedo, odometer, fuel meter etc is converted from km/h to mph (im a JDM er), so the centre clock still says km/h but its actually mp/h. My dte reads about 450 (miles) when i fill it up, but ive only ever managed about 280miles before a re-fill. dte seems to only get accurate with under 150miles left on it, at least on my converted example.

Jamie

Yeh mines the same as yours nixy, speed in in mph, but the rest of the pod is in km's.

Do JDM's have a petrol light for when you're running out? As i've gone halfway between the last line and empty, and no lights come on... My bmw always lit up when i had '64' miles left....!

Yeh mines the same as yours nixy, speed in in mph, but the rest of the pod is in km's.

Do JDM's have a petrol light for when you're running out? As i've gone halfway between the last line and empty, and no lights come on... My bmw always lit up when i had '64' miles left....!

ditto..........

I have a JDM and the petrol warning light has only ever been on once - yes it does exist on the JDM.

I seem to remember the dte reading was about 53 miles when it came on. Not a great idea to go this low as the pump will suck up any crap in the tank.

I have a JDM and the petrol warning light has only ever been on once - yes it does exist on the JDM.

I seem to remember the dte reading was about 53 miles when it came on. Not a great idea to go this low as the pump will suck up any crap in the tank.

+1 was about the same for me too.

Just remember to get up to 2-3k steadily, no point mashing the pedal until you hit 3k, it would defeat the object.

The best I've ever managed was 43.1mpg ave over a week's commute to work, which is mostly motorway! :p

I recently took part in a fuel economy challenge at work where we took a standard Qashqai diesel from Land's End to John O'Groats averaging 71mpg on the combimeter (actual was calculated to be 67.35mpg). When we got there, we still had 10 litres of fuel left, from a tank 15 litres smaller in size than the zeds! haha :lol:

Yeh, im being soooo gentle with it... i dont at any point hear the roar from the engine... its just all silent!

:lol:

I do this from time to time. I dont work out how much mpg im doing as i get confused and it takes me ages and then i never know if its right :wacko: , so i do it just to feel good now and then :teeth:

+1 was about the same for me too.

So with the dte saying 53 miles left in the tank and for arguments sake will say you're doing 19mpg that means there's about 2.8 gallons in the tank.

Guess that means I better start carrying a gerry can with me in case the light comes on. :dry:

A little bit paranoid are we?

Guy

I think I averaged about 32mpg on our last trip to the ring, which obviously involed some pretty high sustained speeds. (and that was just getting there!)

I think the Zed is pretty economical actually, I've had a shade over 500 miles from a tank before, and 400+ is well within my norm. :)

The DTE is a bit shaky, it doesn't seem to go below 20 for me, it simply displays a " ---- " - which is a tad alarming :)

Does anyone else have a bit of a dodgy fuel indicator and dte? When I first start the car up, for examples sake, it will show 3/4 full (or 1/4 empty for all pessimists) but after 10 minutes of driving, the fuel indicator will show I've got more petrol than when I started, and the dte says I can drive further that it did before. Red light came on the other day and before I got the 2 miles to petrol station I'd nearly a quarter of a tank. Think I've got a special car that makes fuel :thumbs:

DTE is just a calculation based on your speed and fuel in the tank. I'm sure its a little bit more complecated than that. For example it's probably averaged. Anyway thats basically it.

The fuel indicator itself isn't the best but I think it's better in my 07 than it was in my 04.

The fuel indicator itself isn't the best but I think it's better in my 07 than it was in my 04.

Are you trying to tell me my car's not magic, doesn't make it's own fuel and has an inaccurate fuel indicator? Damn that salesman and my gullability! :p

As far as I know all Zeds have the same tank size at 80 litres. Although even having the DTE in " ---- " mode, I've always had at least 11 litres left in the tank.

Generally the DTE is quite smart, as you can see it continually adjusting as you move from city to motorway.

I don't want to start the whole fuel debate, but on the occasions when I fill up with normal unleaded I'm lucky if I get to 400 from a tank, with super, it's usually the 430 range. Lots of motorway cruising in the month sees this rise to 460-480