VX220

Daryl

Yeah i know that guy, Fezzasus or something, though i actually think he has stopped making them now. I do have the rubbish hose in there, as i remember seeing it, so il look at getting that silcone hose from Ebay, unless a guy on the forum makes them

Interesting post- I moved to the 350z from an exige s2 (190bhp).

Always tempted by the rarity and price of the vx220. They will always feel much faster as you're so low down and there is so much noise. I found the 190bhp engines (111r Elise/ s2 exige) hard to keep in the power band as you had to be over 6200rpm to get on the race cam which is where the power was. I also found the semi slick yoko's would let go to suddenly in the wet, but were mind bending in the dry! I eventually fitted Goodyear eagle f1's which were great every day.

I think a supercharger is perfect as it gives you power lower down the rev range.

I found my 350z much quicker in terms of real world driving as it had a huge amount more torque, would put the power down better, was more stable and more importantly had much greater visibility, allowing you to go faster safer. Andy Walsh (carlimits.com) offers superb driver training at North Weald to anyone interested in getting the most out of their lotus/vx safely.

In saying all that I'm now off to the classifieds to look at vx prices- there is nothing like the sense of occasion and fun that these cars offer, strongly recommend them at least once in your life :)

Yeah i know that guy, Fezzasus or something, though i actually think he has stopped making them now. I do have the rubbish hose in there, as i remember seeing it, so il look at getting that silcone hose from Ebay, unless a guy on the forum makes them

Thats the guy, maybe drop a wanted ad on the forum someone might offer one up.

Otherwise don't bother with a pricey silicone replacement, neoprone does the job http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/85mm-Black-Neoprene-Air-Ducting-Hot-amp-Cold-Feed-F1-Flexible-Hose-Pipe-1-2-/180734478046 I think its 85mm you need check with the foil one you have in the front.

Whilst you have that off always worth putting a bit of WD40 on the heater switch as well as that sits under the tubing and can get stiff making turning the knob in the cabin difficult.

Always tempted by the rarity and price of the vx220. They will always feel much faster as you're so low down and there is so much noise. I found the 190bhp engines (111r Elise/ s2 exige) hard to keep in the power band as you had to be over 6200rpm to get on the race cam which is where the power was. I also found the semi slick yoko's would let go to suddenly in the wet, but were mind bending in the dry! I eventually fitted Goodyear eagle f1's which were great every day.

I think a supercharger is perfect as it gives you power lower down the rev range.

I found my 350z much quicker in terms of real world driving as it had a huge amount more torque, would put the power down better, was more stable and more importantly had much greater visibility, allowing you to go faster safer. Andy Walsh (carlimits.com) offers superb driver training at North Weald to anyone interested in getting the most out of their lotus/vx safely.

In saying all that I'm now off to the classifieds to look at vx prices- there is nothing like the sense of occasion and fun that these cars offer, strongly recommend them at least once in your life :)

I just was always aware when in traffic that it was very unlikely that the person in front knew I was behind as the car is so low - so always left a fairly big gap - you do learn a lot of different ways to drive on the road in these things, all good habits though!

Loved the look of this car. Took one out for a test drive years ago. Went like stink, but build quality was absolutely dreadful. You also needed to take the roof off to get in and out of it (Belly and limbo dancers excluded :) )

Loved the look of this car. Took one out for a test drive years ago. Went like stink, but build quality was absolutely dreadful. You also needed to take the roof off to get in and out of it (Belly and limbo dancers excluded :) )

I was 38 when I had mine got in and out with roof on no problem - its not about suppleness its about technique lol takes a few weeks to master it though!

Very good point re visibility. I found that the viewpoint from the Westie/caterhams/Elise was a significant issue on road. Not often mentioned. You would have the acceleration and nimbleness to overtake but couldn't see far enough ahead due to crest/amoeba or similar. Also good point re drains or broken road surfaces...also influences me now even though jag glides imperiously over most stuff.

Well I took the VX out on Friday with my mate, and have to say had a storming drive in it, totally immersive experience.

As for comments, yes, the build quality is not up to what you would call 'normal' standards, but it was built by some carrot crunchers in a shed. lol

It takes some getting used to regarding the driving around other cars etc, having the lights on all the time helps though. I think its fair to say I have got the best/everything out of the rear 888's, and they are being replaced on Thursday when it goes in for its MOT. As for speed, yes, it goes like a stabbed rat, would be good to try to get some times for acceleration at some point when im on track, as it has to be close to 4 seconds to 60, and it does need another gear really, as 5 gets used up quite quickly. I am finding a knack of getting in and out with the roof on, though its a million times easier with it off

To learn the technique get a girl you know to wear a knee length skirt and ask her to get in and out and you will see the technique!! Drop in backside first and swing over, all very elegant!!

Getting out, remember not to pull on the front screen frame as they have been known to crack if you pull on them too hard.

So after a few weeks you master getting in and out with the roof on. What then throws you is getting in with the roof off and worse still try getting in the passenger side. Careful when its wet also getting in as the metal floor pan in front of the "carpets" gets very slippy.

Haven't tried a drive through yet but car park gate machines are always a stretch.

Well it passed its MOT with no issue yesterday, had a new set of 595RSR's fitted Wednesday, so got some decent grip now, which is good. Loving the power i must admit, its scary how fast it piles on speed, it rips through the first 2 gears no issues.

• Like 1

I had an encounter with a VX220 today. Trundling along in a line of three cars with a slow old biddy at the front and me at the back on a set of fairly twisty roads - he came up behind us and decided to show how quick he was by overtaking all three cars at once ending his overtake on a blind bend and not far from colliding with an oncoming motorbike.