New wheels are really close to calipers

Vlad

Right then, I thought I'll ask on here (already messaged Keyser on FB, but I think he is still getting used to it and might take few weeks to get a message back :lol: )

Bought new wheels with correct ET and that and was advised that they would fit over Brembos without any problem, but they don't. Same wheels fitted over Brembos on other Z tho. Different size calipers or slight different "location"?

So I got 5mm spacers - and now it fits, but very close. Literally can only fit piece of paper in between

IMG_6968_zpsac42035f.jpg

Question is: is it safe to run them that close? I pretty sure I saw other cars that run it that close, but I'm just a bit paranoid.

If it's safe - happy days.

If it's not - next spacer is 6mm, any bigger - will come with new, longer, studs... how hard are they to change? is it hub off job?

do they not do spacers with the bolts already in them?? would prob be minimum 10mm though if there was

Does look mighty close though :wacko:

They do... minimum i think is 20mm and they are too wide as new wheels are 10j at the front. So need no more than 10mm. 7mm would be ideal, but think it's a bit stretching without replacing studs

They will expand when they get hot so I am not sure I would want to run them that close.

Also what make are the 5mm spacers as I have seen photos of cheap crushed skinny spacers here.

Don't know what make.... got them off Tarmac.

Was looking at these ones for 6mm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x6mm-Hubcentric-Wheel-spacers-Fit-Nissan-200sx-Skyline-350z-66-1-73-1-5x114-3-/201121020833?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Model%3A350+Z+Roadster&hash=item2ed3bf3ba1

Get the angle grinder on the calipers, shave them down a bit. Weight saving at the same time :teeth:

I knew blondie will pop up with his priceless advice lol just because I went to use a hammer on your V8 :lol:

• Like 1

Get the angle grinder on the calipers, shave them down a bit. Weight saving at the same time :teeth:

I knew blondie will pop up with his priceless advice lol just because I went to use a hammer on your V8 :lol:

Not at all :angry:

On a serious note, wheel and caliper expansion esp when you've got some heat in them will cause you issues. If say at least 3mm gap.

Not at all :angry:

On a serious note, wheel and calliper expansion esp when you've got some heat in them will cause you issues. If say at least 3mm gap.

but don't forget the hub will expand at the same time, maybe cancelling out that in the wheel and calliper

I'm insulted you didn't come to me Vlad :(

IMG_2287_zps8e20e1f9.jpg

Not had any problems yet.

Can literally just fit a rizzler paper between mine.

haha now you said - i feel quite bad that i didn't think of "crazy f**ker"

So we have about same gap then! How many miles have you done so far? I drove my car for around 100miles since new wheels gone on lol

may be i will get away with 6mm spacers instead of 5? Hmmmmm

So we have about same gap then! How many miles have you done so far? I drove my car for around 100miles since new wheels gone on lol

Can't hurt to go to a 6mm spacer.

I've Maybe 3-5k miles? I've just hit 2k on the new engine.

They also survived 2 sessions at Silverstone - The engine didnt....but the wheels did :lol:

They also survived 2 sessions at Silverstone - The engine didnt....but the wheels did :lol:

oh, that's quite re-assuring if they survived 2 track days.... as that was my concern if they will be ok after hard breaking etc!

• Like 1

oh, that's quite re-assuring if they survived 2 track days.... as that was my concern if they will be ok after hard breaking etc!

Worst case scenario, they just sheer off a few wheel spokes :lol: