Help and Advice with damage to car

Spatt

just an update on this. decided on insurance route, got his details and his insurance is actually a business insurer not a specific car insurers. . so I get referred to an accident management firm and they're dealing with everyone for me :)

they also said I'll get a like for like car hahaa yeh right. cant wait to drive a brand new 370z haha

• Like 1

I had a major hassle getting a "like for like" car. The 370 is in the same 'category' as a BMW 320d or some such guff, so I politely ranted at the hire company till they agreed to give me a Porsche, they let me down so we switched to another hire company and eventually got the Boxster 2.7 PDK. A diesel taxi as like for like?!

So: if they offer you something rubbish, ask them about the way they group the cars because they don't have one of every car in the fleet, and explain that you were promised a like for like meaning you understand you'll be getting a two seat, RWD sports car not a taxi :D

Sorry to hear about this, I had the same on my previous car but unfortunately the offender decided to leave without providing any details.

Any accident whether that be fault/part-blame/non fault, will impact your premiums (generally in that order of cost). There is no hard and fast rule. Believe me, I've been in the Industry for 7 years and I've seen claims make no difference and I've seen claims make insane differences. It just depends on the overall risk, EG:

• 17 year old pays £2000 at year 1, has a fault accident, renewal premium is sent out at £4000. He/she shops around and see's a quote for £2200
  • 45 year old with 9 years protected NCB pays £350 at year 1, has a fault accident, renewal premium is sent out at £420. Shops around and finds a price of £360
  • 45 year old with 9 years NCB unprotected pays £320 at year 1, has a fault accident, NCB is reduced to 3 years for renewal, renewal premium is sent out at £540. Shops around and finds a price for £400

It really is so variable it's almost pointless discussing it. :wacko:

If you're getting a hire car from an accident management company, get the cheapest one you can. Just in case you end up footing the bill (it does happen more often than you think), you could well regret getting the decision to spend £120 a day instead of £30 a day...

You do have a legal responsibility to mitigate your losses too, and whilst I'm sure everyone will shout me down and say that you shouldn't be deprived of a nice car when it's not your fault (which I agree with 100%), surely you can live with anything for a week whole the work is done. Plus, it's just as fun to drive something crap every now and then, I had some proper stinkers when I has some issues with the 911! :lol:

I also had a Merc C220D, which was a beautiful thing to drive and let me experience something I normally wouldn't consider.

I'd quite like to try a C4 Cactus, I think.

There's a clear and present danger I might end up with one for my Norway / Sweden Road Trip next month. In itself not such a bad thing, specially if you're being upgrade from a Hyundai i10, but I had originally pencilled in a Macan. Sadly that's gone boobs skyward :(

haha some great comments here.. the hire car like for like would be great and I agree there is no need to rocket costs for no reason. I would love to jump in a nice car but its doubtful for sure.

I cant see costs coming back on me but if im fair at every stage then itt will certainly help.