Clutch Wear

gushie

I'm after opinions on below:

I have an 05 plate and my clutch is very high, now to the point of I'm virtually off the clutch pedal just after it bites.

I know the clutch on the 350z is self adjusting so I am obviously right at the end of my clutch's life.

Having never had a clutch go on me in 20+ years of driving I assume that when it goes I will initially notice slipping of the clutch in higher gears?

In people's opinion should I be changing the clutch out now?

I would, yes. If you drive on a worn clutch you can put hotspots on the flywheel, which would then also need changing.

Now, for performance reasons I'd change the flywheel to a single mass one at the same time as doing the clutch any way to save on the labour costs, but if you don't want to then better to change the clutch earlier rather than later.

• Like 1

Someone in the know once told me, from experience, that once the friction plate material wears out the studs can very quickly score and ruin the flywheel surface. As in under 100 miles. Whether you replace early could be influenced by if you intend to replace the fly or not. Personally I would rather replace a clutch on my terms than wait for it to start to fail as I'm driving somewhere.

id personally wait until it actually starts slipping. it will be noticeable when it starts going, but it wont make the car undriveable - you just wont be able to use full throttle in the higher gears. the last car I had with a slipping clutch was my old 300zx turbo - it would be fine with normal driving, but if you put your foot down, the clutch would slip as the torque spiked due to the turbos.

and even if waiting for the clutch to go causes damage to the flywheel, its strongly recommended to change both at the same time anyway, so that wouldn't be a concern.

if you're planning a long trip, then maybe change it for peace of mind - however if you're just using it for commuting or short ish journeys, i'd wait until it starts slipping before replacing. it could have another 1000 miles in it depending on how you drive. but be aware it might go soon, and make sure you have the money ready for when it does.

• Like 1

Cheers guys I think i'd probably think about changing the flywheel too.

Some forums say that the 05 models didn't have self adjusting clutches but other people say it does. What I am trying to get to grips with is, is my clutch biting point just set high (always seems to have been high since I bought it) or is it getting high because it's self adjusted itself because of wear?

I can cope with it being high (driven it highish for 3 years) if it's not a wear issue.

As I said, adjust the pedal first, it's just been recently talked about and iirc there is a guide for it to.

Try that, see how it goes for a little while.

(I'm just saying that's what I'd do first btw)

Edited by RobPhoboS

If the car is still on its original dual mass flywheel its advisable to change this at the same time as the clutch. As Dan mentions a swap to a single mass lightweight flywheel is a good upgrade.

The Xtreme kit we now offer for the DE has everything you need. http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/95545-new-xtreme-clutch-organic-inc-smf-350z-de/