HELP! Track Day Setup

adab

Hi guys,

Hopefully one or more of you may be able to assist!

Cars in the garage having BC coilovers fitted with host of other bits and will then have a full geo setup.

Mechanic sets up mx5 race cars and has a Hunter 4 wheel alignment system.

He's just asked me to ask you............ as many will have been through the process.

Car to be set up for trackday use,

Whats the best set-up to try for camber and toe in front and rear?

She is sitting on 19" rota grids.

Probably many different answers but any help from the tried and tested would be appreciated and forwarded on.

Thanks in anticipation.. :D

post-22273-0-87480100-1424805887_thumb.jpg

Edited by adab

Just be aware that running 2.5 on the rear will cause uneven tyre wear and be a bit more twitchy on the road . I would have though 1.5 on the back would be better all round ......

This is just my opinion , I'm not an expert ....

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along shortly :)

I'd go with Phil's numbers, they're pretty decent although I'd personally run with a bit more toe out at the front (5deg either side), but that really is just my preference. That's a really solid base to work from to figure out what you're after, thanks for posting Phil :thumbs:

What settings do you run your BCs at, Adab? I had a play with some on a Zed recently, I think I settled around 10 from hard on the front and 14 from hard on the rear, but that was for road use. I'll have to check on those numbers, but I think they were around there.

Don't know yet Ekona, they are being fitted tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up on setting for road use :thumbs: will give it a try. Harder probably for the track however.

My mechanic sets up race cars so a few blasts down the bypass will probably result in a decent set for both. I will let you know what he comes up with.

Cheers

I'd go with Phil's numbers, they're pretty decent although I'd personally run with a bit more toe out at the front (5deg either side), but that really is just my preference. That's a really solid base to work from to figure out what you're after, thanks for posting Phil :thumbs:

What settings do you run your BCs at, Adab? I had a play with some on a Zed recently, I think I settled around 10 from hard on the front and 14 from hard on the rear, but that was for road use. I'll have to check on those numbers, but I think they were around there.

That's only because you helped to get to that number :) took your advise and like I'd said so far tyre wear seems fine and the backend feels spot on to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by philw99

I would agree with Dan on this as a good base to start with as setup is such an individual thing based on how you like your car to behave but in general the zed certainly needs toe out(-0.05-0.5deg) in front and more positive caster(9-10deg) and negative camber(-ve 2 - 3.5deg. At the rear I feel 1.75-2deg negative camber is optimum anything more is counter productive imho. You need toe in at the rear. You can increase or reduce this to in high speed stability or understeer or vice versa if you want to encourage twitchiness/oversteer or ease of rotation.

Ultimately you are limited by how much adjustability you have up front and the type of tyre you are using and how much trade off tyre wear against handling you are prepared to make.

Goodluck.

just checking, do you want a pure track setup (at the expense of tyre wear) or a compromise which will allow you to drive to and from track without buying new tyres every 500 miles?

also, how do you want the car to handle? do you want a very stable setup, planted back end and a bit of understeer, or a car that darts around, has excellent turn in and a slightly more playful rear?

#14..

Looking for a bias to track as its my toy not everyday car.

Set-up ? Pretty planted for the initial set-up but with decent turn in.

Looking for lap time to improve so not a drifty back end, want to get the traction down not just smoke the tyres.

Does that help?

• 4 weeks later...

My car was driven by Dan and I had the BC set up. I hope you are also getting the adjustable camber arms because I found that I could not adjust camber completely with the BCs on stock arms due to them lowering the car 20mm. It's fun playing with the adjustable damper settings, just a shame you can't adjust for rebound.

With these it's entirely possible to have the camber very aggressive on the front (so aggressive that I wore down the inner shoulders of my MPSS before the outsides had even got near the wear marker!) and this camber makes the car lovely and pointy.

I actually had the rears very flat for ultimate grip, but my car handled beautifully on track.

I also had Eibach ARBS and fully Super Pro bushed suspension but we will ignore that point for now :)

Just to play devil's advocate, if handling is your thing it might be worth considering ditching the 19 inch Rotas for standard 18 Rays. The Rays are SO SO light and the difference in unsprung weight, particularly on the front end will give you the best handling and feel.

Edited by waltzinblack
  • Like 2