Lexus RC F

Beavis

As much Clarkson is a fool sometimes he does talk some sense...

The RCF has two major issues...Weight and Price

The RCF had a kerb weight of 1800kg, which means a real life gross weight of probably 2 tons!! The up and coming GSF weighs the same....that has much more space inside for people and luggage...and given similar powe/weight ratio I suspect wouldn't be much slower if at all. The M3, well at over 200kg lighter, you can see why the RCF got thrashed in a drag race...

But the irritating thing is Lexus KNOW how to make lighter cars, the IS300H, despite been a hybrid with an additional 2 electric motors and battery pack only weighs about 100kg more than the equivalent 3 series.

Than there's the price, the RCF more than £3k more expensive than a M3 in basic form...and the top spec RCF has a OTRP of £68k, even ticking all the options boxes on a M3 your struggle to hit that figure (Carbon brakes excluded). And though BMW isn't doing offers on the M3 at the moment eveyone is waiting for the 15-20% off list price deals to come out....Lexus isn't known for doing big discounts.

So ask your selfs, forget the brand, but would you pay £10-15k more for a car that weighs more, has worse power/weight ratio, and is less practical??

I do love our new Lexus IS300H, it makes my BMW 335i look very dated...and though I always said I'll replace the 335i with a Tesla S, if Lexus do an hybrid GSF, I would find it hard to resists :D

But on the RCF....Sorry Lexus but you can do better, a lot better :(

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

Personally i think that front end is absolutely hideous, ridiculously bulbous and with so many angles and lines, flutes and openings, it just looks like a mess, it doesnt flow at all.

I never realised they cost that much too :scare:

Clarkson was pretty much on the money if you ask me, if your taking on the likes of M3's, Mercs etc, its going to have to match it or thereabouts and what he said about the Lfa struck a cord. If Lexus can make something as epic as that, how did at least some of that pedigree not get handed down. I am not talking about exotic materials etc, just something that handles and performs well!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...