Track day MX5

grahamc

After letting the missus loose on Silvertone in the GTR (what was I thinking), she decided she wanted to do a few more days in something a little cheaper than the GTR. So we sold the 350z (a little too much power to the rear wheels for her) and bought a nice little MX5 mk2 (comes with a torsen LSD).

Currently the car is away being prepped:-

-hard top

-rear roll bar

-full service - all fluids

-brake stopper

-braided brake lines

-tow straps

Next will be:-

-steering wheel

-bucket seats

-harnesses

-custom aero

And if she gets on with the car, during next winter we will be supercharging it.

1_zps210b52ea.jpg

2_zps6c076989.jpg

3_zps29f96735.jpg

• Like 2

Great cars. I've come from a mk2 mx5 1.8 to the Z. I bought it to turn into a track car with plans of a supercharger Etc and for circa £3k you can have a great race car. I bottled it half way and decided I wanted a gt car instead so there went my career as a racer lol.

I'm sure you'll both have great fun driving it and tinkering. ðŸ‘

Enjoy, great car to play in

Its good so far :)

Great cars. I've come from a mk2 mx5 1.8 to the Z. I bought it to turn into a track car with plans of a supercharger Etc and for circa £3k you can have a great race car. I bottled it half way and decided I wanted a gt car instead so there went my career as a racer lol.

I'm sure you'll both have great fun driving it and tinkering. 👊

I have the GTR for the GT side of things, definitely wouldnt use the MX5 for a long trip.... for my years budget of tyres and brakes for the GTR I can do all the work on the GTR :) Will see how things go this year, missus needs to see what she likes/prefers track, rally, drift, etc.

Once she has decided that, will decide if we stick with the MX5 or go for something AWD or whatever....

Nice work. I bet it'll be bags of fun.

I want to do this so much!

Has been so far :D

• 2 months later...

^^ Very nice and those alloys are an interesting colour, ...definitely stand out at least. ;)

Stand out is the idea :)

I think the wheels are great! Look forward to seeing more pics...

I'm also on the hunt for an MX5 to track, so will be watching this thread with interest!

Cool, MX5nuts is a good place to start, lots of info.

On track though, with a few mods the MX5 is fantastic, its slow (I have high standards) but they are still great fun!!! I dont think you can go wrong with one :)

Cool, MX5nuts is a good place to start, lots of info.

On track though, with a few mods the MX5 is fantastic, its slow (I have high standards) but they are still great fun!!! I dont think you can go wrong with one :)

Thanks, will check it out. I started on the owners forum and have been reading as much as I can find. Just trying to find a rust free example that ticks a few other boxes!

And yep, everything I have read so far suggests exactly as you say, not the fastest but definitely fun! Seems like a good place to start for a first track car anyway!

What you looking for?

Got a max budget of £1500 for initial purchase - from what I've read it would be nice to pick up a MK2 1.8 with a Torsen LSD and roll bars, gotta be a manual, to be honest the closer the car is to being track ready the better (Wheels, tyres, brakes, suspension).

Main thing is just trying to find one that's been looked after that still has a good bit of life left in it! Unless I'm told otherwise, I've not set the Torsen LSD as a 100% requirement, so still looking at Mk1s and 1.6s aswell...

I paid 2k for mine (Arizona edition - torsen diff), with no rust on sills, 1.8 engine, standard, FSH, just under 70k miles. Im a lazy buyer, refuse to travel, refuse to argue much, I was at the point that I wanted the car and just want the purchase over with :D

Make sure all your Mk2 / Mk2.5 owners check your chassis rails (either side of the engine bay) from both above and below. They are sandwich construction and suffer from water ingress so rust from the inside (and a massive job to replace). Although a few companies new sell repair sections for them complete with all the mounting holes - Something to be mindful of!

• 5 weeks later...

This looks like a fun thread to follow :)

Not sure I dig the wheel colour, but probably will look good when it's all come together :)

Keep us posted :D

wheel colour is marmite, but its a track car.... harnesses and towstraps are green, so will see once complete

Not sure I dig the wheel colour, but probably will look good when it's all come together :)

wheel colour is marmite, but its a track car.... harnesses and towstraps are green, so will see once complete

No i think you'll find they are green :lol:

• Like 1

No i think you'll find they are green :lol:

:fishslap:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

6 Aug - Intro to drifting ;) for the missus..... Im just tagging along :wacko:

wish I could learn to drift in an mx5 again... it is the most fun you can have with your clothes on, the feeling of satisfaction when you start to get it is the best in the world!

6 Aug - Intro to drifting ;) for the missus..... Im just tagging along :wacko:

wish I could learn to drift in an mx5 again... it is the most fun you can have with your clothes on, the feeling of satisfaction when you start to get it is the best in the world!

I have done it before ;) its great fun!! Hence why I am doing the intro again.... its a little bit of fun for the missus