Cutting out issue, advice needed

AmyZed

Hey all

This is nothing major (yet) but twice I have lately started Zed up - she started fine... then driven to a fuel station... turned her off etc, filled up, then when I start her again at the petrol station she starts fine, and then 2 seconds later cuts out/stalls. I then start her up again- fires up fine and then has been OK.

The first time I had driven 5 mins before the fuel stop, the second time it happened I had been driving for 15mins.

I am taking her to my garage next week and will ask them to have a look, usually these things typically don't happen at the garage so I am worried they won't find a fault.

Is there anything I can look at ? or suggestions for my garage ? you guys know these cars so well, perhaps some of you have had this? Id love to solve it before it happens a third time, or even gets worse!

thank you in advance ... long live Zed!!!!

A common problem could be the cam position sensor failing.

Start the car from cold and then let it warm up. If it cuts out when warm, possibly after 15-20 mins but you can restart it after a few minutes then there is your likely culprit.

You will have an intermittent problem to start with but it will get worse over time.

The part is cheap(ish) and easily fitted yourself so worth a try in any case.

Edited by Toon Chris
  • Like 1

Seems a bit of a coincidence to me that both times this happened it was at a petrol station. I'm sure these haven't been the only 2 short journeys you've undertaken recently.

They have been the two times in the last week I have driven the car. It is not my daily car, it goes out twice a week in the winter max. In the summer its out all the time!

A common problem could be the cam position sensor failing.

Start the car from cold and then let it warm up. If it cuts out when warm, possibly after 15-20 mins but you can restart it after a few minutes then there is your likely culprit.

You will have in intermittent problem to start with but it will get worse.

The part is cheap(ish) and easily fitted yourself so worth a try in any case.

Thank you !! how will the garage test this out? I will have a look for the part to see roughly how much I am looking at if it is this

Cam or crank position sensors usually throw a CEL, but not always, the garage should with decent diagnostics be able to pinpoint any problems with either of these, but just chucking replacement's at it could prove expensive, it might also be worth doing a throttle pedal/plate reset and see if that helps.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1

Mine hates warm starts, always has done, when I had my up-rev done at Horsham Jez tweaked the throttle position sensor as this can be the culprit, it is better but still does it. Its never really been too much of an issue, I just give her a little blip when I see the revs drop as I know its going to happen.

• Like 1

I will look out for strange lights on the dash the next time.

Typically I just started her up-all fine... then drove her 5 mins, stopped. re started and it didnt do it that time, then tried again... all fine! :wacko:

So prob very intermittent ... joy haha

thanks everyone, ill run those suggestions past my garage next week and fingers crossed they can test those parts to see....

Cam or crank position sensors usually throw a CEL, but not always, the garage should with decent diagnostics be able to pinpoint any problems with either of these, but just chucking replacement's at it could prove expensive, it might also be worth doing a throttle pedal/plate reset and see if that helps.

I didn't get a CEL on mine. And a pre-owned part wasn't expensive. Considering there is a reasonable way to test (i.e get the car warm) then no need to buy parts unnecessarily. As its a part that fails when warm its not so easy to test, and as it costs only a little more than the price of getting a mechanic to take the old one of and test it in the first place, its still a good candidate for a punt IMO.

I didn't get a CEL on mine. And a pre-owned part wasn't expensive. Considering there is a reasonable way to test (i.e get the car warm) then no need to buy parts unnecessarily. As its a part that fails when warm its not so easy to test, and as it costs only a little more than the price of getting a mechanic to take the old one of and test it in the first place, its still a good candidate for a punt IMO.

As you say the parts apparently only show a problem/failure when warm, surly there should be a way to test with comprehensive test equipment, or failing that a scope, would replacing the sensors with unknown SH items be cheaper than say an hours worth of comprehensive tests?

Unfortunately other problems can also show up when the engine has warmed up, not just cam and crank sensors, so suggesting a throttle pedal/plate reset would help eliminate this as a problem and is pretty simple to carry out, without having to pay for diagnostics, a simple money saving strategy in my books.