Infiniti G37 (Q60) coupe or convertible

RafsZed

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone had considered this car, it has the 370Z engine, can be modified with a performance exhaust and HFCS's and I understand it will also take an uprev.

I was looking at the convertible as an upgrade to my 350, so I can take the kids as opposed to one by one.

Obviously wound handle as well as the 350Z or 370Z but if you need four seats and reliability it might be an interesting choice, oh and rare too.

Had one for a test drive a while back. Very nice car. Love how it looks, good quality interior, quick enough, handles well

Not a fan of the convertible myself but the coupe looks the part

Looks awesome if modded properly ;)

I've got a Infiniti Fx. Sadly not the 5 litre petrol V8 but I did try one and if you can stand the low 20s mpg then they seriously shift.

They do the 3.7 V6 too and its build on the 370Z chassis. 0-10 is sluggish but after that they go like stink. Only the Porsche Cayenne is in the same class (I don't count the Range Rover as they don't handle well enough).

Some of the Yanks have dropped them a few inches and they look pretty cool like that too.

Oh, and the wheels are mega, mine are 22" :teeth:

Had both as coutesy cars and although I think the coupes the better looker they both are fairly rapid GT's. Bit expensive to run (but hey if your lookin at one you know that already lol) but you get a lot of kit and some nifty GTR like paddle shifters. Think of it as a 370 in a suit lol

I thought I'd add a bit more detail as I've had both and this thread deserves a better answer.

Firstly - Merc salesmen saying they've not heard of them - well, that just says everything about salesmen, really. I was called once to a VIP eveing by special invite at Westway in Stockport and the salesman started trying to sell me a Juke - I said "Don't you want to know what I drive now - that might give you an idea about whether I'd actually be interested in a Juke?" Salesmen are idiots and should be ignored as much as possible.

Anyway - a bit more detail about the infiniti Q60 / G37

I loved my Zed. The driving experience was so full, you always knew where the car was and how she was feeling on the road.

The Q60 is a little less definite. The engine is great - hey, it's the same power plant, after all. I'm getting OK with the paddles - of course you can just drive her in auto but I prefer to be in the correct gear before I enter the roundabout / corner, and I hate having to plant the throttle to kick her down as you come off onto the straight, so if I'm not just pootling down to Asda for the shopping I tend to put her in DS and change gears myself.

The biggest thing - and one I'll probably change before the warranty runs out is - she's too damn quiet. You have to glance at the revs so see whether you're already doing 4k or something because you can't hear it, and if I'm intent on keeping in the lane as you come off a roundabout I don't want to glance down, even for half a second, and you can't tell from the engine note - because you can't hear it! (By the way - you get 3 years warranty, so either I gotta do it before that or live with no engine note for 3 years!)

The second is the paddle shift. A little story - my brother drives a Jag XKR - 420 horses, nice car, cream leather - but they only made automatics. I took the pi$$ out of him for 5 years saying "It's not a sports car if it's an automatic" and I still believe that's true. The paddles are better than just an auto box - but they're not as simple and direct or as meaningful as a manual box.

In a nutshell - the Infiniti is a really Great GT. I mean that - as a Grand Tourer she's perfect. She's not a sports car. One of the comments AMT made is "It's a Nissan in a suit" and he's got that pretty right.

On the plus side - on a long run the Infiniti is brilliant. Motorway driving in this country has been changed for me completely with the intelligent cruise control where she'll brake if the car in front of you brakes. Brilliant.

The cabin is also a much nicer place to be - it's more comfortable, you've got electric everything, she just eats the miles, and I love it and you get to the end of your journey thinking "That was good, I'd like to do more of that"

I've not taken her to Nurburgring yet. I will - but I'm not going to be chasing the sub 10 minutes times. She's not a sports car, that's it, and she'll take you round in a respectable time and you'll enjoy it - but if you're really going to try and eat that Porsche in front of you - do it in a Zed, not an Infiniti.

Edited by ianphampton
  • Like 1

The biggest thing - and one I'll probably change before the warranty runs out is - she's too damn quiet. You have to glance at the revs so see whether you're already doing 4k or something because you can't hear it, and if I'm intent on keeping in the lane as you come off a roundabout I don't want to glance down, even for half a second, and you can't tell from the engine note - because you can't hear it! (By the way - you get 3 years warranty, so either I gotta do it before that or live with no engine note for 3 years!)

Nail on the head there mate, its hard to drive in manual paddle mode when you can't hear the engine. There are two 'bulge' silencers on mine which look like cherry bombs, so I was seriously considering actually putting some cherry bombs on instead for a little bit of rasp under the car. A turbo diesel with cherry bombs: not something you see (hear?) often so I might just do it for the hell of it :teeth:

I thought I'd add a bit more detail as I've had both and this thread deserves a better answer.

Firstly - Merc salesmen saying they've not heard of them - well, that just says everything about salesmen, really. I was called once to a VIP eveing by special invite at Westway in Stockport and the salesman started trying to sell me a Juke - I said "Don't you want to know what I drive now - that might give you an idea about whether I'd actually be interested in a Juke?" Salesmen are idiots and should be ignored as much as possible.

Anyway - a bit more detail about the infiniti Q60 / G37

I loved my Zed. The driving experience was so full, you always knew where the car was and how she was feeling on the road.

The Q60 is a little less definite. The engine is great - hey, it's the same power plant, after all. I'm getting OK with the paddles - of course you can just drive her in auto but I prefer to be in the correct gear before I enter the roundabout / corner, and I hate having to plant the throttle to kick her down as you come off onto the straight, so if I'm not just pootling down to Asda for the shopping I tend to put her in DS and change gears myself.

The second is the paddle shift. A little story - my brother drives a Jag XKR - 420 horses, nice car, cream leather - but they only made automatics. I took the pi$$ out of him for 5 years saying "It's not a sports car if it's an automatic" and I still believe that's true. The paddles are better than just an auto box - but they're not as simple and direct or as meaningful as a manual box.

In a nutshell - the Infiniti is a really Great GT. I mean that - as a Grand Tourer she's perfect. She's not a sports car. One of the comments AMT made is "It's a Nissan in a suit" and he's got that pretty right.

On the plus side - on a long run the Infiniti is brilliant. Motorway driving in this country has been changed for me completely with the intelligent cruise control where she'll brake if the car in front of you brakes. Brilliant.

The cabin is also a much nicer place to be - it's more comfortable, you've got electric everything, she just eats the miles, and I love it and you get to the end of your journey thinking "That was good, I'd like to do more of that"

I've not taken her to Nurburgring yet. I will - but I'm not going to be chasing the sub 10 minutes times. She's not a sports car, that's it, and she'll take you round in a respectable time and you'll enjoy it - but if you're really going to try and eat that Porsche in front of you - do it in a Zed, not an Infiniti.

Thanks for that sum up, very helpful.

Does the G37 Coupe only come with the auto gearbox in the UK? I haven't seen any manual ones advertised but there's so few about anyway I'm not sure if they're just really rare!

You def want it with the auto anyway, paddles are quite good! Suits the more GT style of the car. Not sure if they maybe did a manual overseas?

Does the G37 Coupe only come with the auto gearbox in the UK? I haven't seen any manual ones advertised but there's so few about anyway I'm not sure if they're just really rare!

You def want it with the auto anyway, paddles are quite good! Suits the more GT style of the car. Not sure if they maybe did a manual overseas?

I think that's a shame, with upgraded wheels, suspension and exhaust it could be a nice alternative to a 370Z. I'm just not old enough for an auto just yet. :dry:

I've been considering something in the next year or so and it is an auto with paddles... mind you it also has 2 more cylinders ;) The Zeds clutch is just annoying me in traffic now (and I've got an HR) Infiniti's courtesy cars have warmed me to auto/paddles lol

As you can see from the pic the black looked mean as hell, it got a LOT of looks. Even a lady snapping her head back on a double decker bus to take a pic, while me & a mate looked on from a café laughing lol

Edited by AMT

I've been considering something in the next year or so and it is an auto with paddles... mind you it also has 2 more cylinders ;) The Zeds clutch is just annoying me in traffic now (and I've got an HR) Infiniti's courtesy cars have warmed me to auto/paddles lol

As you can see from the pic the black looked mean as hell, it got a LOT of looks. Even a lady snapping her head back on a double decker bus to take a pic, while me & a mate looked on from a café laughing lol

It's not got two more cylinders it's got six, or are you talking about a different car.