Paying Road Tax via Direct Debit

jonty88

Hi guys,

So im currently in the process of selling my current car (05 Celica) and buying an 08 Z! The issue I have is that when my current car came up for tax renewal at the start of December 2014 I opted to pay for it via direct debit due to the new system allowing you to. Now when the car is eventually sold how can this be transferred to the new owner? Ive already had a search online and cant find much so thought ide ask you guys to see if anyone has experienced this yet? Otherwise it looks like il be paying my old cars tax for the remaining 9 months...

Thanks!

As above you won't be paying for it for anouther 9 months, however you're liable for road tax on the old car until the dvla process the change. This can take 3 months.

There was a long thread covering this a few weeks ago, it was called something along the lines of dvla thieving scumbags.

• Like 2

As above you won't be paying for it for anouther 9 months, however you're liable for road tax on the old car until the dvla process the change. This can take 3 months.

There was a long thread covering this a few weeks ago, it was called something along the lines of dvla thieving scumbags.

Yes it was my thread. DVLA still owe me a months road tax. Thieves..!!! :rant: :rant:

• Like 1

If you cancel the DD and there is another payment due, probably because they've been dragging their heels and it's taken them too long to process the V5, they can charge you for the bounced DD, so then you'll owe them the months tax plus the charge.

Best practice would be to SORN the car online as soon as the car is sold and then let the new owner tax it there and then, which they're supposed to anyway.

If you cancel the DD and there is another payment due, probably because they've been dragging their heels and it's taken them too long to process the V5, they can charge you for the bounced DD, so then you'll owe them the months tax plus the charge.

i'd love to see how this pans out when it happens - I fail to see how the DVLA can issue a charge due to their ineptitude at dealing with paperwork, when a seller can easily show what date they sold a car and that they sent the letter off in good time to be processed before the end of a month.

Would the DVLA continue to chase for payment even if their systems are already showing that someone else has already paid tax on a car?

Edited by brillomaster
  • Like 1

i'd love to see how this pans out when it happens - I fail to see how the DVLA can issue a charge due to their ineptitude at dealing with paperwork, when a seller can easily show what date they sold a car and that they sent the letter off in good time to be processed before the end of a month.

Would the DVLA continue to chase for payment even if their systems are already showing that someone else has already paid tax on a car?

Not a clue how it would work, but in purchasing VED you are agreeing to their T&C's, so it's up to them to enforce it or not. I think the charge is only a 5er, though, so not really a big deal.