FWD GT-R

Ekona

Well, a GT-R LMP1 car anyway.

nissan-gt-r-lm-nismo-lmp1-by-marshall-pruett-51.jpg

http://www.roadandtr...-gt-r-lm-nismo/

Massive write up there by R&T, but basically they've created a 3L V6 TT FWD prototype with a hybrid flywheel design that sits under the car that may or may not send a bit of power to the rear wheels. Mainly though, this car is FWD.

Part of me already hates it because of that, but I'm as intrigued as anyone by this seeing as how it's a Ben Bowlby design (Deltawing) and it could be genuinely quick on track. I also wouldn't want to be the driver behind the wheel, imagine the torque steer!

• Like 1

Me too, this year should be fascinating to watch. Have they announced the drivers yet?

No announcements on drivers yet. Some of the LMP2 drivers who's teams have had links to Nissan could be in with a shout?

Hmmm, not exactly a looker is it!

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/nissan-gt-r-le-mans-car-2015-02-02

and I think saying its a FWD car is a bit naïve... yes, it has an ICE making 550bhp driving the front wheels, but it will also have some 700bhp of electric power driving the rear wheels, so I make that 4wd, with a predominantly rwd power bias. seems be the way that most top end time attack cars work.

what seriously boggles my mind is the choice of wheel widths - top gear reports 14" fronts, but only 9" rears?!? that's only half an inch wider than the rears on a 350z, but has to put down 700bhp+!?! if they can make it work i'll be remarkably impressed. Its a radically different design for a racecar - with so much weight up front and hardly any at the rear is normally a recipe for understeer - perhaps that's why the front wheels are so wide, to try and get some grip!

• 4 weeks later...

FFS, you'd have thought that Nissan wouldn't be that desperate for drivers that they have to use Max "Daddy's got all the money to buy me a drive" Chiltern!

My faith in this project has diminished somewhat.

+1

We maybe too harsh. He was safe in F1 and has driven in LMP class before and has a lot of seat time infront of him before Le Mans so he may turn up ok. Nissan are not stupid and they always have a good mix of drivers playing to their mutual strengths.