Test Drive - Where?

sailor

Where are you based OP? The south is quite wide.

If you near Chichester, Chichester cars on the A27 always have a Zed on the forecourt so try them. Heard a few good stories about them too. Think someone on here has purchased form them recently.

I'm based in North Central London (Islington), and am in my 30's so not a boy racer at all.

Yes, it was a spur of the moment thing to go to the dealers, I should have called ahead and asked if I could drive it. Lesson learnt for next time!

Would be great if a fellow forum member wants to take me for a spin in theirs!

• Like 1

I got my Z from Stratstone in Leicester and had no problems with a test drive. The salesman took me as a passenger to begin with and warmed the car up nicely then gave it some beans and got the rear out a couple of times, then handed the keys to me and encouraged me to do the same, it was great :D Test drive lasted over and hour in total and got a full mix of different types of roads in.

Edited by Jp606

Test driving the Z was the only time I've been thrown the keys and allowed out on my own. The bloke happened to know I had the cash waiting in my account so I guess that influenced his decision.

Very nearly traded up for an evo 8 FQ330 last month and the saleman jumped in and watched me like a hawk on the test drive. Ended up keeping the Z and getting a type R for the missus and it was the same story then. Three out of the four civics I drove wouldn't even engage vtec due to low oil but thats a whole other story!

Ive also had it the other way round - test drove an Evo 6 a little while ago, while we driving along noticed a few points that I thought I should mention to the dealer (had already decided against it).

He hadnt noticed that two of the 4 tyres were bald (v bad on an Evo), it wasnt boosting right, the AYC wasnt working but most entertaining was his face when I pointed out that he shouldnt put 95 RON in it - he asked how I knew it had that fuel in, and I said "because I could hear it detonating" :lol:

Turns out he usually dealt in shopping trolleys but "had always fancied an Evo" despite knowing absolutely **** all about them :lol:

• Like 1

I test drove the a couple of cars, i have always driven a car before buying it, but i have always explained to the seller that if i break it i buy it. I also asked for members close to where i live if they minded taking me out in their cars to see how they felt, test drives are great but its hard to actually drive a car as you want to it.

I'm in Farnborough Hampshire and have a 2007 HR that i can take you out in, if you find no one closer that can

I got my Zed from Kent Auto Panels and the guy told me to give it some beans. He drove it to the petrol station and had some fun with it and then I took over from there. He took me onto the motorway and then down some twisties and didn't mind me driving it how I wanted to. Depends on the sales person and the car I'd say.

I'm based in North Central London (Islington), and am in my 30's so not a boy racer at all.

Yes, it was a spur of the moment thing to go to the dealers, I should have called ahead and asked if I could drive it. Lesson learnt for next time!

Would be great if a fellow forum member wants to take me for a spin in theirs!

That's a shame, I just sold mine and I'm only about 4 miles from you. :surrender:

There are a few owners on here not far from you. :thumbs:

Edited by WhackyWill

test drives are great but its hard to actually drive a car as you want to it.

Ive got to be honest, Ive never really had that problem - Ill warn the dealer that Im intending to actually test the car and that Ill be driving "rapidly" and none (other than the BMW lady) have ever had a problem with it - the GTR salesman clearly challenged me to drive as quick as I could (and in fairness to him sat there chatting away like nothing was happening at 160+ :lol: ), Porsche, Bentley, Lexus, Elms BMW and Audi were all the same, even the private sellers I bought the 350 and the 135 let me drive pretty much how I wanted to - the 135 guy wanted me to drift a roundabout no less! :lol:

For me, if youre a competent driver and are looking at buying a performance car, if they keep you to 60 and 3000 rpm you arent testing the car at all.

• Like 2

Ive got to be honest, Ive never really had that problem - Ill warn the dealer that Im intending to actually test the car and that Ill be driving "rapidly" and none (other than the BMW lady) have ever had a problem with it - the GTR salesman clearly challenged me to drive as quick as I could (and in fairness to him sat there chatting away like nothing was happening at 160+ :lol: ), Porsche, Bentley, Lexus, Elms BMW and Audi were all the same, even the private sellers I bought the 350 and the 135 let me drive pretty much how I wanted to - the 135 guy wanted me to drift a roundabout no less! :lol:

For me, if youre a competent driver and are looking at buying a performance car, if they keep you to 60 and 3000 rpm you arent testing the car at all.

I do still give it some to make sure it pulls cleanly to the redline etc, but personally i would never drive someone else's car like i would my own.

Your not the Stig are you? ;)